Tenor Pineapple

BigD

Reaction score
It seems like i can find very few tenor pineapple ukes out there. Is there a specific reason? Or are they just traditionally made in the smaller sizes? I just saw on hms pono has a tenor mango pineapple and it looks great. Anyone have much experience with pineapples in the larger sizes?

There aren't many. I have an Iriguchi Keystone that I like - still owe UU a full write up on it - but when I was researching options, there were very few. Mya Moe does them but with the usual cost and wait time associated with MM. I did ask Covered Bridge about them and they are willing to do a long neck (tenor scale) concert-body pineapple although no one has commissioned one yet.

If that Pono had been available a year ago, hmm, I might have went that way.

Last edited:
The closest i think you can come to a builder who specializes in larger pineapple style ukes is Boat Paddle. He makes some spectacular sounding ones. I personally love the pineapple but mainly in the concert and soprano sizes...

Ko'olau makes a great tenor pineapple.
But I haven't seen one lately.

Many years ago I built a tenor pineapple for myself. It looks way out of proportion goofy, like a marshmallow on a toothpick. The interior volume of a pineapple uke is larger than a traditional shaped uke of the same size anyway. So if I build a "tenor" pineapple uke now, it will be a tenor scale on a concert body. It's much better proportioned.

Many years ago I built a tenor pineapple for myself. It looks way out of proportion goofy, like a marshmallow on a toothpick. The interior volume of a pineapple uke is larger than a traditional shaped uke of the same size anyway. So if I build a "tenor" pineapple uke now, it will be a tenor scale on a concert body. It's much better proportioned.

Would love to see a photo of that one.

How about the Romero "Tiny Tenor"?
Some of the same design principals as a pineapple.

There are several builders that make a teardrop design -- no waist -- in the tenor scale. Boat Paddle, Gill, Covered Bridge and Ohana come to mind. Just a guess but the logic behind the Tiny Tenor teardrop design, bridge placement and sound hole location would apply to all these general teardrop designs.

Yep thats the one! Its pretty reasonably priced as well, ive never cared for mango as a tone wood but if its a pono id put my trust in it!

Top Bottom