Guitarlele <> ukulele !!!

bellgamin

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I am seeking baritone offers at Ebay. When I do a search on "baritone ukulele" the majority of hits are for guitarleles. To me a guitarlele is a shrunken classical guitar & not a ukulele at all.

I am not simply "airing my gripe." If my attitude is wrong, please let me know. If a guitarlele would *open new horizons* to my uke trek, I don't want to miss out because of ill-conceived prejudice.

(Even so, if my search specifies "ukulele", I am convinced that it is ONLY ukuleles that should be listed in response thereto. Am I wrong?)

I agree. I'm not interested in guitarleles for the reason you state.

eBay sellers can put all kinds of keywords to show up in more searches than they really should but there are tricks you can use like the minus sign to weed things out. If you add -guitarlele to your search it will subtract those from your results and hopefully leave you with more of what you're looking for.

A guitarlele is a just a ukulele with 2 extra bass strings. The fact that they are tuned to the same intervals as a guitar could, I suppose, lead one to think they should be described as a guitar.

In my opinion, they are best suited for guitarists who have moved to uke, but miss the ability to play a lot of pieces they used to play. Aldrine and Corey play the guitarlele a lot, so I guess they aren't considered the work of the devil. I absolutely love my Islander GL6, but I'm a guitarist.

Try searching for "baritone ukulele -guitarlele -guitalele -guilele" instead. That should remove the offending articles.

Grrreat! Thanks to both of you guys I no longer have guitarleles dogging my tracks. The "-" (minus)) tip works like a jewel.

That minus sign is an eye-saver! I get the impression (might be wrong, but it's strong) that guitaleles are more often used as a guitarist's travel guitar than as a flavor of ukulele.

Last edited:
I started on ukes... really loved baritone ukes... then learned to play guitalele... and I now play guitar too.

I enjoy playing all of them.
They each have their own unique appeal. Ukes can make sounds and have playability that is different to guitar and vice versa.

I have no trouble at all going from one instrument to another, and the skills really do transfer.
I no longer make a strong distinction between "guitar" and "ukulele" any more... they're all simply "instruments" that can produce different kinds of sounds for the purpose of music.

I no longer make a strong distinction between "guitar" and "ukulele" any more... they're all simply "instruments" that can produce different kinds of sounds for the purpose of music.

YES! You have officially achieved enlightenment, my friend.

Last edited:
I am seeking baritone offers at Ebay. When I do a search on "baritone ukulele" the majority of hits are for guitarleles. To me a guitarlele is a shrunken classical guitar & not a ukulele at all.

I am not simply "airing my gripe." If my attitude is wrong, please let me know. If a guitarlele would *open new horizons* to my uke trek, I don't want to miss out because of ill-conceived prejudice.

(Even so, if my search specifies "ukulele", I am convinced that it is ONLY ukuleles that should be listed in response thereto. Am I wrong?)

As a baritone uker i totally agree a guitarlele is just a smaller classical guitar. Not interested.
If you want to try a decent affordable baritone try a rogue off amazon for 40 bucks
believe it or not its very robust, has a nice mellow tone and perfect intonation its amazing
for the money.

Also check amazon for other bari ukes too there is some good deals on there.
Also butler music has a lot of blemished ukes for sale at discounted prices
some of them have very minor superficial cosmetic flaws on the finish
but does not affect the sound.

I, on the other hand, still do. When I don't, my fingers mess up. ;)

Seriously ... playing one does help me play the other one better. Goes both ways, doesn't it?

Seriously ... playing one does help me play the other one better. Goes both ways, doesn't it?

Definitely. Trying out different instruments makes you better at the one instrument you concentrate the most on.

Definitely. Trying out different instruments makes you better at the one instrument you concentrate the most on.

Aaallll the better to help one focus on two of 'em ... and (eventually) play both well!

(Not there yet. Working on it.)

major difference in tuning.

Guitalele is a smalll guitar thats tuned like a guitar with a capo at the 7th fret (which happens to be ukulele tuning with 2 extra bass strings)
It was designed with a guitarist in mind who wanted to get a ukulele sound and smaller size
with out having to take the extra week to understand that ukulele chord shapes are just
guitar chord shapes minus 2 strings.

An 8 string ukulele is a ukulele with to unison strings to add harmonic depth thats still
tuned like a ukulele and played like a ukulele with ukulele players in mind. Big difference.

Top Bottom