pickup affect on ukulele sound....

Reaction score
San Jose, California via `Ewa Beach, O`ahu, Hawai`
hi guys,
i'm not big on electrics but i've been shopping around and saw a kanile`a k2c with pick up that i'm interested in. i've strummed it in store, and i really like the sound unplugged (real bass-y), but my question is does an `ukulele with pick up need to be plugged in or can i just play it at home (acoustically).

is sound affected with unplugge pickup? i'm not a performer, but at pa`inas my dad brings out the amps, so i can plug it in then. but 90% i'll be unplugged. i could easily just get a non pickup `ukulele but since this will be my last big purchase, i'd like to splurge for something that will last.

1. but my question is does an `ukulele with pick up need to be plugged in or can i just play it at home (acoustically)?

No, not on an acoustic/electric like the Kanile'a. It's an acoustic instrument with electronics added.

2. is sound affected with unplugged pickup?

No, but the sound will be "different" or "electric" when plugged in. Even the best pickups/preamps I've heard alter the acoustic sound. This does not bother me, as I like that sound too. The most natural amplified sound comes from using a microphone. Here's the caveats of using a microphone:

a. Limited mobility - You have to keep your uke within a certain distance and position in front of the microphone, or the sound quality will widely vary.

b. Feedback - is generally more difficult to control with a microphone, verses a pickup.

Ric

Top Bottom