Which uke brands have the best volume?

jjdejd

Reaction score
Recently purchased a KoAloha concert and love the volume. Looking for another uke either concert or longneck soprano. Can’t seem to find a brand with any volume. Already had Islander, Pono and Kanile’a. Any suggestions. Thanks.

Well, you have a KoAloha and they are probably one of the loudest.

Boat Paddle 12-Frets are pretty loud, too. So are DaSilva concerts. A spruce top can help with volume.

Out of all the brands I've played, and I've played most production line brands, the loudest are Martins and KoAlohas. They have that 'open' loud sound which I like. Of the new Martins I find the mahogany is loudest surprisingly.

The Kiwaya KTS4 is quite loud too, much more so than the longer neck models.

Of course it's not just about brands, it's about woods too. Spruce tops tend to be very loud as are some cedar tops (Mainland especially) though not all brands' cedar tops are as loud.

Last edited:
Out of all the brands I've played, and I've played most production line brands, the loudest are Martins and KoAlohas. They have that 'open' loud sound which I like. Of the new Martins I find the mahogany is loudest surprisingly.

The Kiwaya KTS4 is quite loud too, much more so than the longer neck models.

If course it's not just about brands, it's about woods too. Spruce tops tend to be very loud as are some cedar tops (Mainland especially) though not all.

like Matty said, you might want to consider the wood more than the brand.

Strings also play a factor in that, as the tension of the string in relation to the bridge contact is going to affect how the soundboard speaks.

A KoAloha Pineapple long neck is quite loud and will sound markedly different from its sister concert.

I have just gotten a Blackbird Clara. It's a concert scale ukulele with a voice bigger than most tenors.

Have to recommend Nazareth, PA built Martins too.

If you're looking for loud, I recommend something with a spruce top and rosewood/mahagony/etc. sides and back, i.e., a traditional guitar tonewood combination. The Cordoba I have has that combination and it is very loud. Much louder when pushed than the koa type ukes I have played. The downside is they are less mellow and pretty sounding sometimes.

Pepe Romero, hands down. Every one I've ever played is a cannon! Distant second is KoAloha. Nothing in the uke world I have played is close to a Pepe Ukulele (I have played a lot of brands).

edit- I prefer tone over volume. If more volume is needed, you can always mic a uke.

edit- I prefer tone over volume. If more volume is needed, you can always mic a uke.

Well, said. I agree that tone is more important than pure volume. I have two concerts at the moment - a spruce/maple Collings, and a walnut Collings. The spruce/maple is much louder than the walnut, emphasizing the comments above about wood selection. However, build style/quality will determine how much string tension a uke can handle. With the Collings, I'm comfortable using higher tension Worth or Savarez strings, which both generate excellent volume.

-Steve

I have a lap steel, steel stringed resonator uke that is pretty loud. My uke is being played by David Lindley in this video. It shows up at 3:27. Of course, it's plugged into an amp here but it is loud in its own right

Having played a ton of tenors, I can state with complete confidence that the loudest tenor I have ever played was a Blackbird Clara Concert. The term "cannon" is not a stretch. Tone quality was right up there with many solid wood ukes.

Can only imagine what the tenor will sound like. Maybe a howitzer.

Having played a ton of tenors, I can state with complete confidence that the loudest tenor I have ever played was a Blackbird Clara Concert. The term "cannon" is not a stretch. Tone quality was right up there with many solid wood ukes.

Can only imagine what the tenor will sound like. Maybe a howitzer.

I played all the new Clara's at HMS lately and no question the Clara one of the loudest ukes I have heard...and the tone is very nice too...very deep and rich..

but like Tigeralum2001...I think tone the most important...I only play for myself in my room and volume not as important as playing in a group,performing...etc

my 2 cents

I have a lap steel, steel stringed resonator uke that is pretty loud. My uke is being played by David Lindley in this video. It shows up at 3:27. Of course, it's plugged into an amp here but it is loud in its own right

Off topic alert: Great video, but it also hurts a little. Forty years ago, I saw David Lindley playing with Jackson Brown on the Late for the Sky tour. He and I have both aged a bit.

Off topic alert: Great video, but it also hurts a little. Forty years ago, I saw David Lindley playing with Jackson Brown on the Late for the Sky tour. He and I have both aged a bit.
As long as we are all still breathing, everything is good.

the Ohana Vita is pretty loud for it's size...and surprisingly comfortable to hold.

I played all the new Clara's at HMS lately and no question the Clara one of the loudest ukes I have heard...and the tone is very nice too...very deep and rich..

The Blackbird Clara is my loudest uke, and I've got quite a few, including two from KoAloha (next loudest). And agreed about the tone. Just traveled with my Clara to New Orleans and then to New York. Clara's durability is a big plus.

Of the ukes we've had through the office for review, I'd say the loudest few have been:

Stansell Myrtle Tenor
Pu'uwai Koa Tenor
Compass Rose Redwood/Rosewood Tenor
Wise Aussie Blackwood Tenor

Top Bottom