Ukulele Workshops/Lessons w/Herb Ohta, Jr. in SoCal (March)

cpatch

Reaction score
(Cross-posted from taropatch.net)

Herb Jr. will be in Southern California in March to do a variety of 'ukulele workshops (including some with new and different topics!). He will also do a few concerts while he's there, including one with Daniel Ho and Makena.

2508517550102689276S200x200Q85.jpg

(Herb's new KoAloha 'ukulele)

Here's the info:

March 18, 19, 20 - Wed, Thu, Fri
Island Legends
2120 W. Artesia Blvd
Torrance, CA 90504
Private lessons: $65 per session, 45 minute sessions

March 21 - Saturday
Hula Halau o Lilinoe
305 W. Torrance Blvd #B
Carson CA 90745

Workshop - `Ukulele for Beginners
1:00pm - 2:30pm
$25 if registered before March 15 ($30 after 3/15/09)

In this workshop, Herb will explain how to hold the `ukulele, how to pick notes, how to strum a basic rhythm, and give an introduction to music theory so you can develop confidence to go to the next level.

Workshop - Learn how to play a song.... Herb Ohta, Jr. Style (advanced)
3:00pm - 4:30pm
$25 if registered before March 15 ($30 after 3/15/09)

How does Herb make a song sound so full while playing solo? Here you will learn how to play a song in the "Ohta" style of playing. You will learn how notes and chords work together, and how to sound like someone is backing you up even though you're playing solo.

An Evening with Herb Ohta, Jr. (Concert Performance!)
Happa Restaurant
1641 W. Redondo Beach Blvd
Gardena CA 90247
7:00pm; Doors open at 6:00pm
$40 presale - show & buffet, $50 at door
Reservations: (310) 339-7205 or info @ dhcdesigns.com
Presale ends March 15

March 22 - Sunday
Orange County Buddhist Church
Multi Purpose Building, Room #208
909 South Dale Avenue
Anaheim CA 92804

Workshop - `Ukulele for Beginners
12:30pm - 2:00pm
$25 if registered before March 15, ($30 after 3/15/09)

In this workshop, Herb will explain how to hold the `ukulele, how to pick notes, how to strum a basic rhythm, and give an introduction to music theory so you can develop confidence to go to the next level.

Workshop - `Ukulele Strumming Patterns (open to all levels)
2:30pm - 4:00pm

In this workshop, Herb will show you different strumming techniques and also how to accent them on different beats, so when you play a song more than once, it will never sound the same.

`Ukuleles in Paradise - Performance with Daniel Ho & Makena
Orange County Buddhist Church
Multi Purpose Building
6:00pm
Tickets: $25 presale general seating, $30 at door
Purchase at www.dhcdesigns.com or call (310) 339 -7205
Presale ends March 15

March 23 - Monday
Momilani's Island Traditions
1906 Oceanside Blvd., #K
Oceanside CA 92054
http://momilanis.com/

Private Lessons: $65 per 45 minute session

Small Group Workshop (limited to 15)
Strumming Techniques on the `Ukulele (all levels)
6:30 pm - 8:00 pm

In this workshop, Herb will show you different strumming techniques and also how to accent them on different beats so when you play a song more than once, it will never sound the same again.

March 24 - Tuesday
Momilani's Island Traditions
1906 Oceanside Blvd., #K
Oceanside CA 92054
http://momilanis.com/

Private Lessons: $65 per 45 minute session

Small Group Workshop (limited to 15)
`Ukulele Song Arranging (advanced)
6:30 pm - 8:00 pm

Do you ever wonder how Herb arranges his music before he performs or records them? How do you arrange a song? How do you know what an Intro and Ending should sound like? How do you know what notes to pick throught the chords of the song? In this workshop, Herb will show you how to develop an introduction and how to create melodies through chords. You MUST have background in major scales and be familiar with the fingerboard for this workshop.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All Workshop & Lesson Registration: (310)339–7205 or email info @ dhcdesigns.com

Wow. I'd SO jump on this if I had the time. Maybe I can do that advanced workshop in Carson.

If you plan on attending, make sure you register using the info at the bottom of the first post. The size of some of these classes is limited.

I will be at the class on the 23rd of March. Thanks Cpatch!

nice...i already got my ticket to see them play on the 22nd

Herb Ohta Jr Workshop / Concert

Attended the workshops and stayed for the concert on March 22. I had a good time even though I had never practiced in a group before. Herb was very personable. He wanted everyone to have a good time but also it was important to him that we learn something worthwhile. The group was larger than he expected but was able to adjust. It was a fun mix of older folks along with kids as young as 8 or 9.

The highlight of the day for me was the concert. How often do you get to see Herb Ohta Jr., Daniel Ho, and Makena all in one evening? Also I wish I could have heard the names of the mother and daughter hula dancers that accompanied Makena and Daniel Ho on several of their songs. Maybe someone else could fill in the blanks there. (I saw someone with a UU t-shirt waliking around)

Herb and Daniel seemed to really enjoy performing together. Together with Makena and the daughter half of the hula dancers they performed a few songs (Pineapple Mango(?)) which brought much applause.
It was such a busy day I probably got some things wrong, but without UU I probably would have never heard about it.
Thanks cpatch !:shaka:

Top Bottom