Question(s) on low G strings

Icelander53

Reaction score
For those familiar with lots of low G strings, what are some or the thinnest for the G string? I'm not concerned about the rest of the strings unless they are very thin also. This might exclude some with full sets, like fluorocarbon but I'd be willing to just use the low G string.

And is mixings a low G string with another string set a bad idea?

For those familiar with lots of low G strings, what are some or the thinnest for the G string? I'm not concerned about the rest of the strings unless they are very thin also. This might exclude some with full sets, like fluorocarbon but I'd be willing to just use the low G string.

That depends on what it's made out of. An unwound low G is going to need to be a larger diameter string than a wound counterpart in order to be tuned to the note without sounding boomy or flubby. That is a main reason why there are more wound options, as it's easier to get a smaller diameter string for a low G than an unwound.

Thinnest I've used is our wound phosphor bronze string that is a .029 and it sits really well with fluorocarbon strings in terms of tonality. I prefer a heavier .034 wound as it's got a bit more bit and oomph! to the sound of it, while still "playing nice" with the others.

Not at all. Sarah Maisel uses a PhD low G string currently with a different brand of strings, and they work fine. The biggest thing when doing this is just to let your ears and hands be the judge. The strings should all feel about the same in terms of stiffness of feel (and there will be some give and take, due to which pitch the string it tuned to), but most importantly sound like a cohesive set of strings.

The Fremont Soloist (only available singly) is 0.03" (0.76mm); it's a flatwound, "squeakless" string whose single length fits soprano, concert or tenor ukes. It mates well with other kinds of strings. I use a Soloist with Aquila's Red Series C-E-A strings.

Doubt you'll find thinner than Aquila Red. As I understand it, these use copper in the string formulation to achieve tone differences so all of the strings are pretty similar in thickness. They do feel very different (sort of like rough, papery) but I've come to really, really like them. They have a really nice warm tone and great sustain.

As previously stated a wound string is almost always thinner.
Several UU'ers are using a polished flat wound string.
I find these strings comfortable to play and balanced with my flouro carbons.
They seem to last longer than plain wound and they don't squeak.
I also like using a wound string so I don't need to modify the nut.
I am using LaBella classical guitar "D" strings, available as single strings.

Aquila Reds work well. Thinner than fluorocarbon, and not quite as thuddy-sounding. They did a good job making an unwound string that feels right and plays well with other strings But I'd go fluoro before I'd ever use another wound string; at least fluoros last more than three days for me. D:

The Fremont Soloist (only available singly) is 0.03" (0.76mm); it's a flatwound, "squeakless" string whose single length fits soprano, concert or tenor ukes. It mates well with other kinds of strings. I use a Soloist with Aquila's Red Series C-E-A strings.

Where do you purchase them?

Doubt you'll find thinner than Aquila Red. As I understand it, these use copper in the string formulation to achieve tone differences so all of the strings are pretty similar in thickness. They do feel very different (sort of like rough, papery) but I've come to really, really like them. They have a really nice warm tone and great sustain.

Are you saying these are thinner than any wound string?

I've got a set of Aquila Reds on a high G uke, and I plan to try them on a low G one soon. The strings are unusually thin, and there's very little difference in thickness between the A and C strings. If they didn't have them individually wrapped with color-coded dots on the wrappers, I would have a hard time telling the strings apart.

It's okay to mix string sets. For my tenor, I use classical guitar strings that I buy individually rather than in sets. I use a D'Addario wound low G, and Savarez Alliance for the other strings.

I buy my strings from JustStrings.com, and they have Aquila Reds. http://www.juststrings.com/redseriesaquilaukulele.html

I put the first four strings of a classical guitar set (Ernie Ball, normal tension) on a tenor uke, and tuned it up to Low G, C, E, A. It sounds great. My logic was that if regular classical guitar strings work on a guitalele, they must also work on a tenor, which is roughly the same scale length. You then get a wound low G, but I can live with that. Will try the Aquila Reds next time.

I put a set of Aquila Red Low G on my Korala concert last week and I'm still getting used to them, having spent most of my uking time on normal Aquila nylguts. They are a bit rough and the G is too thick for the nut slot. They sound good but it's hard to judge until I file the slot down.

Any tips and suggestions for that by the way?

Thinner than wound by leaps and bounds. And thinner than fluorocarbons, too. Materially (doh!) so. ;-)

I seem to be hearing different things by different folk on this? The poster a post or two above said his Red Low G wouldn't fit in his nut slot?

The Living Waters low G sounds great and is very comfortable to play. My Pono tenor currently has a Living Waters Low G and Ko'olau golds on the CEA. I think it sounds well balanced, but will eventually change the CEA over to the Living Waters strings too.

I seem to be hearing different things by different folk on this? The poster a post or two above said his Red Low G wouldn't fit in his nut slot?

Pretty much any low G string isn't gonna fit in a nut slot designed for High G Islander. Could be my uke though.

I think just the G. That uke. The Kala/Makala would have probably been OK, as Kala seems to ship with a kind of one-size-fits-all nut. (Strings could be strung lefty w/o problem) The low G on mine is about the diameter of the low C next to it. A more finely fitted nut would need some adjustment.
I have mucked about with my tenor so much that I could probably string it with all guitar E/6th strings at this point.

Thinner, thicker ... thicker, thinner ... here are some real numbers. I got my micrometer out and measured the Aquila "low-g Reds" on my soprano Mahalo Pineapple. Reading G C E A these measurements are in "thou" (thousandths of an inch). The strings are under playing tension on the instrument, if that makes any difference.

036 031 027 022

If you want/need to convert to metric, the conversion factor is 0.0254

Just for reference, the nut definitely needed filing out, where necessary, to accept the new strings, also the compensated saddle on the bridge became obsolete and was replaced with a "straight" one.

Hope this helps :)

Top Bottom