whaddya think? should I go with a strap?

Captain America

Reaction score
I bought three nifty belts at a cheapo store; belts I think would make cool uke straps! I like'em.

But I'm not sure how to use them as a strap. If I make a uke-thong deal, it's ok: tough to find a good and nonscratching soundhole hook, though.

OR I get and endpin on the uke.

This might fit with my tenor. What do you think?

I've tried all kinds, sound hole hooks, over the shoulder straps, around the neck, all over and keep coming back to having an end-pin fitted. Clean, easy and just works.
Bill

Same here, end pins are the best. Maybe not on all ukes,but definitely the ones you really want to play freely on... Specially true foe concerts or tenors which don't tuck into your elbow like a soprano.

I've tried all kinds, sound hole hooks, over the shoulder straps, around the neck, all over and keep coming back to having an end-pin fitted. Clean, easy and just works.
Bill

Yep. Do the strap. You won't regret it.

If you think a strap will help, then it almost certainly will. With regards to rigging a strap from a belt, I'd go with the end pin over the thong-style unless you really can't bear to modify your uke.

I bought a Kamaka Tenor with a pickup last summer. I had only played concert and found the tenor awkward without a strap. I experimented with a few home made versions with some success. I ended a buying a Crazy Uke strap and bought an adapter for the headstock at Guitar Center. I use the pickup at the bottom to attach the leather button hole to. I saw Bruce Shimabukuro use this setup on a Youtube video with Jake. I figured if it was good enough for Bruce, it was good enough for me. It has worked just fine.
I have seen a lot of people play Tenor and Baritone without a strap. I'm only five foot seven and weigh about one hundred sixty. I don't have overly large hands and found it so much easier to play tenor with a strap. Do what works for you.

Last edited:
Out of context this talk of strap on, thongs and g string just does not sound right...:rolleyes:

Seriously I think I have a case of SAS, strap acquisition syndrome. I started innocently enough with your basic 12$ nylon strap, but I enjoy my Mya moe, ohana 5 string, and Risas so much among others that I ended spending from 20$ to as much as 40$ on some beautiful straps from Jams and others.

I have about 1/2 dozen patterns include space invaders, kokopellis, cougar spots.

So be warned, once you put a strap on :eek: your favorite ukulele, you might get a case of SAS... :eek:ld:

If you think a strap will help, then it almost certainly will. With regards to rigging a strap from a belt, I'd go with the end pin over the thong-style unless you really can't bear to modify your uke.

Last edited:
Those of you that have end pins installed what is your preference for the other end.

Button on the heel of the neck

Tie off to the head stock

I love a strap, can't play worth beans without one. I have been doing the sound hole thing plus some other "Rube Goldberg" experimental ideas I have tried out.

One way in particular I like alot is just one button installed at the heel area of the neck. I use a mandolin strap and both ends are attached to the one pin. It forms a loop I slip over my head.

Last edited:
I was pretty resistant to straps to begin with, but the uke always slips down my body. I tried the Willie Nelson style, hook in the sound hole...is that what you call the thong? It was ok, but had a pineapple that it wouldn't work on and my main player, a concert, just wasn't stable enough. Finally bit the bullet and got some buttons and a strap (UkeCrazy), it's awesome! I tie it to the headstock between the tuners and it never interferes with my fretting hand.

As far as making a strap out of old belts? It would be cool if they were long enough and you can get some adjustability, or custon fit...my strap is about 44" long, that's a pretty big belt!

I use a short leather thong tied around the neck beneath the nut. I tie a big knot in the other end and it hold the regular strap very nicely.

Bill

Those of you that have end pins installed what is your preference for the other end.

Button on the heel of the neck

Tie off to the head stock

I love a strap, can't play worth beans without one. I have been doing the sound hole thing plus some other "Rube Goldberg" experimental ideas I have tried out.

One way in particular I like alot is just one button installed at the heel area of the neck. I use a mandolin strap and both ends are attached to the one pin. It forms a loop I slip over my head.

I would NEVER go strapless...well, except maybe for my soprano....

Top Bottom