PICKING UP UKULELE easily

keithy351

Reaction score
hey guys and gals, well i bought a ukulele about 2 or so months ago, played it one day, and put it to aside, but lately ive been getting a hanging to play so today i brought it out and tried to learn a song, well in about an hour id learnt the entire song of somewhere over the rainbow and was able to play it without looking at the tabs, then i put it down came back a few hours later and seen the indiana jones theme song, so i tried to learn that, i was able to play the entire song again without looking at the tabs within about 15 minutes, ive never played an instrament before this, am i picking it up because im chooseing way way easy songs or is it just comming a little natural for me.... someone out there plz put me in my place if need be lol :shaka:

You want us to tell you not to learn so quickly? Uke On Bro!

hahaha cheers mate, nah i just wasnt sure weather or not i was chooseing easy songs and stuff.... im actually not to sure what i want use to tell me cause im a little saprised myself, so thought i might test myself for tomorrow and learn the bob marly song no women no cry.... but im going to take what advice i read else were and print out my tabs and put them into a folder... cheers though hoosierhiver, i already wanna upgrade my greg bennett series concert uke to a kala or something... :eek: if only i wasnt obsesed with honda z50's

Welcome to the ukulele's dirty little secret: It's not really that hard. :D

Sure, it can be hard. There are virtuosos out there who are doing devilishly hard stuff. And as with anything else, some will learn faster than others. (You're probably in the "faster" category, which is great!)

But for the most part, just about anyone with desire to do so can plink out a fun little melody and strum some common chords without too much sweat.

Don't tell anybody else that. We're trying to keep our reputations here. :p

JJ

Totally...I am not at all ashamed to say the the uke is pretty easy to get started on...that is what is so appealing to me! In fact, I think that it is fantastic that a little kid can play one and eeek out a few basic chords and Jake can play the same instrument and convince the uninitiated that the ukulele is a world class instrument.

They say it takes minutes to learn and a lifetime to master. When you get into fingerpicking, that darn re-entrant tuning will start to give you fits. You can esasily strum three chords all day, but fingerpicking melodies...and having them sound musical and beautiful on this little somewhat limited instrument...that is a challenge!

The uke's learning curve is a lot more friendly than, say, the violin, drums, or didgeridoo. That's why I think everyone should give it a try. :D

Not that I'm trying to burst your bubble, keithy! Being able to play a few songs that quickly when you've never played an instrument before is a pretty significant achievement, and you're learning quickly! Stick with it, and maybe in a few years you'll be as good as deach. Maybe.

Kudos on your fast progress! I hope I'll pick it up as fast as you. I just ordered a Makala tenor from MGM and it will be my first uke!

I've had no problem picking up the ukulele. It's playing it that's causing problems.

Congrats on your fast learning... Right now I am learning how to fingerpick songs and that is a challenge. I began playing and learning the Ukulele 3 months ago. I started playing in November 2008.

picking up ukulele is pretty easy. when its on the floor, i pick it up with one of those "grabber" thingies. but when its hanging on the wall, i pick it up with just my hand. its pretty convenient that way. oh and when its in the case, i use the handle on the case to pick up the ukulele. well, hope this helps. for what its worth, ive found these methods to be the easiest way to pick up the ukulele.

oh.

wait.

ok i just read the first post...

dude! good job! thats fast! you have an ear for music, and a great memory! take it and run with it. youre going to do just fine with this instrument!

Someone's fishing for compliments.

hahaha nah its kinda nice to hear this stuff though, living alone and studying at uni you dont get that many complements lol, except from the laaaadddiiieeessss... lol. thanks all, i agree 4 strings is easier then 6, i just learnt another song today, no women no cry, its a song that i play, then you just feel so relaxed because of the melody (think im using the right word) its actually a nice break from learning equation after equation and forumals and everything else that comes with studying engineering, but i reckon when i get back i will know song but forget all my other knowlegde lol, any suggestions on a nice chill out sort of song to learn :shaka: yeww thanks all though....

Absolutely you can get recogisable tunes very early from picking up the uke for the first time, but that does not necessaririly make you a player. I think of myself as learning to play ukulele and have been doing that coming upto two years. There is so much to learn, there must be thousands of chords if you include all their inversions, lots of strumming patterns, techniques like triplets and fan strokes. Go and do a search for Steven Sproat and Sweet Georgie Brown on youTube, a fairly simple song but you look at what he does to it. When I can get to that stage thats when I consider myself a player :)

Not to take anything away though its great that an instrument is easy to start off in, but it will take a lifetime to master and do justice :)

Absolutely you can get recogisable tunes very early from picking up the uke for the first time, but that does not necessaririly make you a player. I think of myself as learning to play ukulele and have been doing that coming upto two years. There is so much to learn, there must be thousands of chords if you include all their inversions, lots of strumming patterns, techniques like triplets and fan strokes. Go and do a search for Steven Sproat and Sweet Georgie Brown on youTube, a fairly simple song but you look at what he does to it. When I can get to that stage thats when I consider myself a player :)

Not to take anything away though its great that an instrument is easy to start off in, but it will take a lifetime to master and do justice :)

i admire your determination, but i somewhat disagree on your definition of "player". but its your definition so i cant say youre wrong. its absolutely right for you. but personally, i believe that if you can take you instrument (whatever it may be) and perform something in front of a crowd of more than 5 people... you are a player. it takes a lot of inner strength and control to be able to perform in front of a crowd. so regardless of whether you did good or not, you should consider yourself a player when you do that, because the people that are in your audience now consider you a player. doesnt necessarily mean you play good hahaha. but if someone were to ask any of those people that watched you if they know anyone who plays ukulele, they will think of you.

Top Bottom