Tuning Mechanism with Removable Peg/Button/Key for Childproofing

bguan

Reaction score
I am working on getting my son's school district to teach general music in elementary school using the ukulele (may be using a curriculum like http://www.ukuleleintheclassroom.com).

One of the logistical challenges I foresee is kids messing with the tuning, so I thought someone must have solve this problem, e.g. tuning mechanisms with removable peg/button/key.

But to my amazement, despite my Google-Fu I only found this model:

http://mrbenmusic.com/last-batch-of-mr-ben-ukuleles-ever/

It features what looks like tuning pegs that are adjustable by some wrench? But the uke doesn't "look" appealing and I suspect the sound would not be great either.

I wonder if anyone on this list have seen such a thing?

If not, is this worth someone's (i.e. mine) time to design, apply for patten and make/manufacture?

I am imagining a geared mechanism with a removable, interchangeable button, with a hex / Allen key style fitting, and when removed, the tuner has no sharply protruding parts, just a receptacle hole.

This kind of tuner has the added advantage of requiring less room, lighter, and may be even allow relocation of the tuning mechanism from the head to say, butt of the body like a headless guitar, i.e. a more portable design.

Your thoughts?

Tuning is a necessary skill to learn in any music course. String instruments as well as brass or wood winds all need tuning.
Removing the buttons or requiring tools to tune an instrument is a bad idea. It just means the buttons or tools will be lost someday. (I'm sure some of those buttons would get swallowed by small kids )
With the short scale and nylon strings, ukes need tuning quite often anyway. Can you imagine a class of 10 or 20 ukes to tune and only one set of tools?? :stop:

Tuning is a necessary skill to learn in any music course... Can you imagine a class of 10 or 20 ukes to tune and only one set of tools?? :stop:

Thanks for your replies so far. We will most probably end up going with standard tuners anyway more for lack of options.

However, your points about kids needing to learn tuning is well taken.

I had taught and showed kids ukulele on many occasions, and the scenario of kids going nuts on the tuners are quite common.

I would look for a design where all the removable keys are interchangeable and can be ordered in bulk, separately, much like strings, or even better still, compatible with standard hardware store allen keys.

My experience is that once a set of strings settled in, they will just need periodic (weekly?) minor tweaks, so before a class begins, the teacher and aides can quickly spend 5 min checking the 20 or so ukes in the room, and have confidence they will stay in tune for the duration of the whole lesson.

I could also imagine a scenario where kids (and their parents) are taught to tune their own instruments, and when they are self sufficient, they will be "awarded" their own customizable (colors? shiny blings?) set of buttons to be permanently attached to their uke tuners, as they have "earned their spurs" :) Much like martial art schools awarding belts... a source of pride and great aspiration for kids... Hopefully this can be achieved within the first 1-2 months of the class.

That mr Ben model looks as it has zither pins on it. You can buy those from Stewmac but don't expect them to fit in holes already in the headstock. As for kids fiddling with tuners, good geared tuners are easier for my kids. Friction tuners are way easier than s** geared tuners. But..! I only give them ukes with wooden violin tuners.

I keep my goals on a realistic level - my aim is to not be the worst dad in the world. Worst in Sweden they and I can handle, but not in the world.

Retrofitting zither pins to el cheapo ukes like mahalos with some bondo and a drill would not be too hard but I am with the others in saying just stick with regular tuners.
Interestingly I read that Mahalos are now subcontracted to Indonesia rather than China? Could we be looking at a krong krong based resurgence in the uke? Who knows?

I find that strings, even once settled in, require tuning more than weekly...in my experience, especially with enthusiastic playing, it's more like once or twice an hour.

Anything that would slow the process of tuning, such as grabbing an accessory wrench, would not go over well with me, or any adults or kids I know. I think kids not only would enjoy tuning their instruments, but would keep them in tune (unless they were so young--two years old comes to mind-- that tuning is the least of my problems with them handling an ukulele).

:2cents:

Top Bottom