Bruko longnecks - what do you gain?

Vagrant

Reaction score
I've got a problem with my Bruko soprano's nut, and while I was looking on the Bruko site for their contact details I noticed they sometimes sell longneck sopranos, which seem to have a slightly deeper body than standard and a concert length neck.

I was just wondering, apart from more frets, what you gain with a longneck? Is the sound identical to the soprano, or more like a concert?

It's just got me curious, seeing as before I got the soprano I was torn about a getting a better soprano or moving 'up' to a concert sized uke.

I feel some sort of... itch. Inside my head. Is this the legendary UAS starting?!

Has anyone got one of these longneck Brukos and loves it/hates it?

I don't have any experience with Bruko, but I did just get a tenor neck/soprano body Ohana. It was really an impulse buy. I'd always been a little curious about longnecks and had the same kinds of questions as you. The sound, I think, is more soprano-ish, though I find mine is brighter sounding than I'm used to from an all-solid mahogany soprano. Also, the little bit of extra room between the frets makes certain chords easier.

I think what I like the most is that it still feels like a soprano under my strumming hand (soprano is my preferred size), but it opens up my fretting hand and gives it some breathing room, as it were.

Agree. I haven't played a Bruko either, but have played other soprano body long necks. The string tention is different, the long necks having more tention than a standard soprano. I won't say there's no sound difference, but I didn't hear one, myself. I like long necks for the small, comfortable body, more fretting room, and usually more frets to the body as well as number of frets compared to a 12-fret soprano.

So, basically just like a soprano but more comfortable to play if you're long and gangling like me? Sounds like my sort of thing!
Someone told me that the 'ideal' string tension is on a concert, so I think I might be tempted...

What's the difference between a longneck soprano and a super soprano? Do the supers have bigger bodies too?

Agree. I haven't played a Bruko either, but have played other soprano body long necks. The string tention is different, the long necks having more tention than a standard soprano.

There will be more tension on a longneck soprano compared to a standard. One of the three components that determines string tension is the speaking length of the string. So, to go from a 13" scale soprano to a 15" scale longneck soprano, the same string set tuned the same will have more tension on the longneck.

What's the difference between a longneck soprano and a super soprano? Do the supers have bigger bodies too?

I think they're the same thing.

In Germany Brüko Longnecks have a very good reputation. The body size is exactly the same as the soprano body size. You can chose from full deep, 1/2 deep and 3/4 deep.

If you are comfortable with soprano body size and want to have more frets, a larger scale and a bit more string tension, I highly recommend giving those Brüko Longnecks a try.

I've had Bruko standards and long necks.

Long necks have more frets, and more sustain. :)

They have the usual aerially high string action for which Bruko is legendary. :(

Top Bottom