Vintage Gretsch soprano?

DazW

Reaction score
Hi all, just wanted some advice on a vintage Gretsch soprano ukulele I've seen for sale. They want £250 for it, I had a very quick look at it today on my way to work. It plays fine and intonation is good,there is one small crack in the back that has been repaired. My main concern is the bridge, as you can see in the photo it's a little ragged and is also lifted a bit at the back. Basically I just wanted to check it is worth the money? As long as the bridge isn't about to pop off I'd leave it for now and get it reglued soon by a local luthier. Any opinions welcome. Cheers

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I think it looks every nice and would be worth repairing. But, I would love to have a vintage Gretsch, so this is right up my alley.

Maybe Ryanmft will weigh in here, but I've been looking at various brands of vintage ukes on ebay and this does seem like it's priced higher than what i've seen...Gibson, Favilla, generic, etc. This is almost in "Martin" territory.

FYI...my last purchase was for a very respectable, good playing Favilla for $170 plus$12 shipping.

Last edited:
Maybe Ryanmft will weigh in here, but I've been looking at various brands of vintage ukes on ebay and this does seem like it's priced higher than what i've seen...Gibson, Favilla, generic, etc. This is almost in "Martin" territory.

I did think it was a bit pricey. The store actually have it at £299. I offered £200 and they said £250 is their best price

$_57 (5).JPG$_57.JPG

I agree with what others have written...in America, that uke would sell for around $200 as described.

I scored a lovely Gretsch with mother of toilet seat fretboard and headstock for $175 on eBay about three months ago. It has Gretsch American stamp on headstock reverse, and is approximately 1930. Gretsch ukes are not too well made in later years, such as the wooden bridge, I'm not even sure if they have kerfling inside the body (but I could be wrong) . I had one on trial and promptly returned it...I think it was a 1950 something.

But, if it sounds good to your ear, it's not a ton of money either way, and the key is that you like it.

Good luck, DazW.

Last edited:
I agree with what others have said, this is the very top end of what this ukulele is worth right now. The vintage market is down overall.

However, I see this is in the UK which does make a difference. I know vintage ukuleles are much harder to come by there, and to buy one from the US, and then get it to the UK, and pay taxes/customs/whatever brings the price of say a $200 USD ukulele up a great deal. If you love it, and can afford it, than let that decide for you!

By the way, those tuners are not original to that ukulele. I've never seen a Gretsch with those tuners. They work great, but would likely be quite heavy on the headstock of this ukulele.

I had one but it didn't feel special or well made enough. Paid a lot less than that, and managed to sell it on easily in uk. I decided, after considering a cheap Martin, on a timms eventually, and would advise you try one... unless you want the sub 300g vintage build (largely down to less metal in the tuners on the old ones probably)

Thanks for the advice everyone. Think I'll give it a miss, sounds like it is over priced. I was originally going to buy a Kiwaya KS-1 before I started looking at older ukes so think I'll stick to plan A. Cheers

I still hanker after trying a KS1.. Don't think you could go wrong with one!

I still hanker after trying a KS1.. Don't think you could go wrong with one!

There's a KS-0 on sale for £189, think it's a 4cm body depth. KS-1 is £217 shipped so not much price difference. KS-1 is looking most likely, they do look superb

There's a KS-0 on sale for £189, think it's a 4cm body depth. KS-1 is £217 shipped so not much price difference. KS-1 is looking most likely, they do look superb

Youtube search WS64 ukulele. He often plays a KS0 and it's his favorite ukulele. I had one, sold it...stupid me! It's amazing. The thin body is not an issue with sound...as stated, see how Wolfgang plays his. He has tons of ukes, but has literally told me the KS0 is his favorite.

I agree with what others have said, this is the very top end of what this ukulele is worth right now. The vintage market is down overall.

However, I see this is in the UK which does make a difference. I know vintage ukuleles are much harder to come by there, and to buy one from the US, and then get it to the UK, and pay taxes/customs/whatever brings the price of say a $200 USD ukulele up a great deal. If you love it, and can afford it, than let that decide for you!

By the way, those tuners are not original to that ukulele. I've never seen a Gretsch with those tuners. They work great, but would likely be quite heavy on the headstock of this ukulele.

Many fine observations, as usual, Ryan.

I note that it's not only vintage ukes down, but all ukes down (esp. those over 800 clams or so); I think uke enthusiasm for internet page hits, free gatherings and festivals is down, despite the improving economy, an ominous countertrend for our beloved four string friend. I have noted this trend, as an avid uke buyer and seller, for about 18 months now. No one wants to believe it, but the ukulele bubble is sagging in general. It'll never go away totally, but might rest in the land of the oboe and the accordion for a decade or two until the next Tiny Tim or Jake...but when that happens, you and I are ready for them!! ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom