Big Island Ukulele Adventure...? Mid June trip...Any Suggestions...?

sonomajazz

Reaction score
I know most of the well known Hi built brands are on Oahu...but what kind of ukulele events, adventures, builders are on the Big Island?
This will be my first visit to the B.I. so feel free to chime in with general tourist kinds of activities that "should not be missed!"

Any and all comments welcome.

Staying on the Kona side of the island.

Well he is not in Kona, but one of the best uke builders in the world - Chuck Moore - is on the Hilo side. Hilo also has Hilo Guitars, which has tons of great ukes for sale. You could also stop at Volcanoes National Park if you make the trek to the Hilo side.

To me building doesn't get better than Chuck Moore. He is located in the Puna area on the Big Island (about 3 hour drive each way from Kona). I spent 5 days on the BI last year. Some great activities, besides visiting Chuck, include:
1. Volcanoes National Park. Stay after dark for the more dramatic views. Long drive from Kona, though.
2. Hilo area waterfalls- Akaka Falls, Umauma Falls, etc. again- Hilo is a long way from Kona
3. Visit the farmers markets and open air markets.

I didn't think the Uke shopping in Kona was that great, especially for Hawaii. I saw mostly imports and toys.

The Big Island is truly big. Tons to do, but just relax and take it easy!

According to Facebook, Chuck is currently somewhere in Polynesia, although he may be back on the BI by the time you get there. When I was on the BI, I stayed on the Hilo side and visited Hilo Guitars. The Big Island Ukulele Guild, which has an exhibit in Hilo every October of some of the finest hand-built ukuleles I've ever seen, has cool stuff on its website, like a list of BI kanikapilas and events, and contact information for some of its members. Maybe you could visit luthiers while you're on the BI. Here's a link to the Guild's website: http://bigislandukuleleguild.org/index.html

Two other things I did that I thought were well worth doing are (i) visiting Volcanoes National Park (I took a helicopter ride over the volcanoes, and then drove to the park for some hiking) and (ii) going to the summit of Mauna Kea (there are tours, or you can drive to the summit yourself, although the rental car companies apparently forbid using anything other than a 4-wheel drive vehicles for that purpose), where I watched the sun set one evening. You can at least drive to the Mauna Kea Visitor Center.

Last edited:
You should go to Sam Rosen's shop in Holualoa. All local-made 'ukuleles.

Hilo Guitars is pretty cool.

Check out Jack Knight wherever he is jamming these days (Kona side). His kani ka pila group is called Mele 'Ohana. Lots of chalangalang Hawaiian tunes and a good time.

I hear great things about the Hawi Gallery: http://www.hawigallery.com/.

Konaweb has the best music calendar of events I know of. http://www.konaweb.com/musicians/events.shtml

Take a uke lesson with Brad Bordessa.

Have dinner one night at Jackie Reys

Check out the Oceanrider seahorse breeding facility just down from the Kona airport

Dolphin snorkel tour (if you're interested, I could look and find out which crew I went with) ends up near the airport. We also saw some manta rays!

Mauna Kea tour with Hawaii Forest & Trail

Blue Hawaii Helicopters out of Hilo

Have fun!! - Matt

In Kona, the parking lot at Long's Drugs (really) has free concerts every Thursday evening. Quality varies but there was a great guitar & uke duo there at the end of Feb that is returning for the month of June apparently. A couple got up to hula and they were superb, as was the duo.

Hawi gallery has a wide selection of product, custom and vintage ukes.

Thanks for all the great input! Looks like I'll be doing a little driving! About 2.5-3 hrs from where we're staying to Hilo side...Volcano Park, etc.
I'll check in with Chuck Moore in a couple of weeks.

Now the tough decision...which uke to take! Probably the David Newton soprano...

Sunset from the end of the road just below the summit of Mauna Kea

attachment.php

Helicopter view of the active volcanic crater at Volcanoes National Park

attachment.php

Thanks for all the great input! Looks like I'll be doing a little driving! About 2.5-3 hrs from where we're staying to Hilo side...Volcano Park, etc.
I'll check in with Chuck Moore in a couple of weeks.

Now the tough decision...which uke to take! Probably the David Newton soprano...

If you buy me a ticket I will gladly pay for the rental car and do all the driving!

Favorite beaches that are well worth the drive: spectacular Hapuna Beach State Recreation Area, on the west coast near the northern end, just below the Mauna Kea Resort, and Kahaluu Beach Park, a short drive south of Kona, where you'll swim with lots of big sea turtles.

Also well worthwhile: Get out of your car and walk to the rim of Kilauea Crater so you can stare down into its inner crater, Halema'uma'u, the legendary home of Pele, the Hawaiian fire goddess. Unforgettable and otherworldly, especially walking there on a misty day with not another soul in sight, as the ground at your feet vents hot air from below (as was the case for me one Fourth of July).

Last edited:
Do a lava boat cruise, the boat ride is an adventure in itself.

The Kona Pub & Brewery was a fun place, too.

Do a lava boat cruise, the boat ride is an adventure in itself.

The Kona Pub & Brewery was a fun place, too.

Cheeso is right I forgot about the lava boat cruise. I sailed past once at night and it was really incredible.

And if you go to the Kona Brewery, have a Wailua Wheat for me...especially good with the pizza rolls. Mmmm :)

Cheeso is right I forgot about the lava boat cruise. I sailed past once at night and it was really incredible.

And if you go to the Kona Brewery, have a Wailua Wheat for me...especially good with the pizza rolls. Mmmm :)
Click on the "lava" button on my website to get a preview of what you might see. The photos were all taken by me, some from air, boat and land. Check the Volcanos National Park website to see what the current activity is. A night time hike (guided) from Kalapana is worth the effort if you are up for it. Also try not to mis a the Wednesday night affair at Uncle Roberts in Kalapana for the best local music you're likely to hear.

Top Bottom