Converting 4 string Concert to 5 strings

ChaosToo

Reaction score
...... is what I'm going to do!

It was a choice between my roundback Tenor and my Aria Concert, so I've decided to go the less conventional route and do a 5 string Concert.

I'll detail my work / findings here, but first a couple of questions before I start :

1. I'm assuming the double G strings should basically straddle where the current single G string sits, both at the nut and the tailpiece?

2. I will have both G strings and the C string tuners on one side of the headstock (as per the Ohana), but my headstock is shaped with the widest part at the end furthest from the nut, so I'll need to deflect the high G and C strings slightly to save them fouling on the first tuner (low G) - my question is simply what sort of 'tree' or 'retainer' would be best suited?

Like I say, I'll post my work as and when I start, but any inspiration and/or pointers would be appreciated

:D

This should be interesting...I was thinking just yesterday that I should take my Kiwaya longneck soprano and convert it to a 5-string and put a MiSi in it - then I'll have a 5-string in a format more convenient to take on the motorcycle. So, I'll be watching your progress with rapt attention so I can learn from your mistakes instead of mine!

John

I bought a 95 year old flat back mandolin that had been used as a Christmas decoration. Cleaned it up and fitted Worth strings (extra long) low G then added an Aquila high g. It can be tuned right up to F ie. Ccfad but I like it in D .....Aadf#b. Strings cost £15 mandolin £35
I would never part with it sounds great.

I've put some photos on the blog of turning a Dolphin into a five string, with as little amendment as possible. It took little time ( reusing some vintage mandobanjo insywincy tuners) and it plays beautifully. The dolphin bridge makes it very easy.

I'd seen your Dolphin before Pondweed - cheers for reminding me about it. I'm going to make a new nut for mine, which will have the 2 Gs straddling the position of the current single G, to keep the spacing correct on the fretboard, but I'm not sure what the distance should be between the G strings to avoid them buzzing against each other?

Also, rather than just compromise by drilling a new hole in the existing tail, I want to fill the single hole and drill two new ones either side of the old, again, keeping the spacing so the strings are parallel along the fretboard, but I'm a little concerned about how structurally sound the tailpiece will be doing that?

Also, I notice you didn't use any method to deflect the strings away from the tuners - how have you found that?

I've put some photos on the blog of turning a Dolphin into a five string, with as little amendment as possible. It took little time ( reusing some vintage mandobanjo insywincy tuners) and it plays beautifully. The dolphin bridge makes it very easy.

Hmmmm, now there's a thought. Maybe I'll do a Dolphin complete with the MiSi pickup...probably be the most expensive Dolphin ever but it sure would be easy to take on the bike!

Also, I notice you didn't use any method to deflect the strings away from the tuners - how have you found that?

Well, I don't lose sleep over the issue. I planned the exercise about 10 minutes before starting, and 45 minutes before completing (and that was including finding the bits) and it seems to work every time I pick it up/tune up. It probably wasn't intended to be permanent... But now may be.

I bought a 95 year old flat back mandolin that had been used as a Christmas decoration. Cleaned it up and fitted Worth strings (extra long) low G then added an Aquila high g. It can be tuned right up to F ie. Ccfad but I like it in D .....Aadf#b. Strings cost £15 mandolin £35
I would never part with it sounds great.
Do you have any pictures you could share, it sounds very creative and interesting.

Mandolins make wonderful multi-string ukuleles. Tear drop shaped with center holes seem to have the desired projection. The bowl backed ones are difficult to hold and the necks are really skinny...which is great for picking, but difficult to chord for those with bratwurst fingers. The A and F model mandos have the raised fret board that some like-and some do not. Banjo mandolins will knock yer socks off!! It is much easier to make something with 8 tuners into 4-5-6-7 than to do it with a ukulele. Be prepared for looks of scorn from serious mandolin players. The proper name for one who dos it is mandal and we mandalize a perfectly good instrument. My 1929 Dobro mandolin has claro walnut body and engraving on the tail plate and cone cover. It also carries Dd Gg Bb EE Aquila strings.

Top Bottom