NUD - BlackBird Clara with Pegheds

Ukulele Eddie

Reaction score
Finally, finally, finally. My long awaited Blackbird Clara arrived today. I had it built with Pegheds and am very pleased with how that turned out. The wound low G was way too boomy for this camper, so I promptly swapped it out for a Worth Brown high G. It looks pretty comfy next to my MP custom deep body soprano (which I've come to love, love, love - thanks coolkayak1) and I think these two are long-time keepers. The Clara came with a spectacular Access gig bag, too. Have travel, will uke. ;-)

image.tiff

Pretty loud, isn't it? Very playable.

Whoa, no fret marker dots? I'm lost already. I Can't wait to try one in person.

Congratulations! It is a real keeper. When I first received mine, I was thinking I would like it in tenor. But the concert proportions may be just right aesthetically for the pineapple body.

I hope that when Blackbird makes a tenor uke in Ekoa, they will offer this in the traditional shape, rather than pineapple or the asymmetrical body of the current Blackbird Tenor Ukulele.

Re the low G: You may like an unwound fluorocarbon low G on the Clara. Less boomy and more balanced.

What a gorgeous multi-racial couple you have there, Eddie.

Clara and Mike, sittin' in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g!

Great looking Clara stock. I wish I had a living room floor that looked so good!

Those peghead tuners are the bomb..........looks made for pegheads, love the looks.

Boom - I am in love. I wish we had a "post sound clips of your Clara" thread on here so we could hear what she sounds like with all the different string choices that people have made. hint hint!!!!

@coolkayaker1. Too funny and thanks for kudos on our floor (again ;-).

@UkeJenny. The Clara string thread is a good idea. I'm not very good but will see if I can post some snippets here in a few days.

@DownUpDave. I agree, I think the headstock looks a lot cleaner with the Pegheds.

Congrats on finally getting this thing! I too love the clean look with the PegHeds. I've had a strange relationship with these things - sort of love/hate/love. My first go round with PegHeds left me not liking them so much. For some reason I just wanted the more solid feel of machine tuners. However, I've really come to appreciate and like them. They just look nice and clean, and traditional too. The thing that made me come around to liking them so much, though, is that I developed a real appreciation for a light-weight and balanced uke. You can't beat them for this purpose.

-Steve

P.S. Just read your signature, Eddie, and had a quick thought of what mine would look like if I included a "Lovingly Re-homed" section. Every one of my posts would take an entire page in each thread! Scary!

cONGRATULATIONS!

Top Bottom