Banjoleles help

A totally subjective question,as the sound of a B/U that satisfies
and pleases one player,may sound harsh or 'wrong' to another!
best bet would be to get your hands on as many different models
as you can,and decide exactly what suits YOU!
How many music shops do you have locally to yourself? Check out
as many as possible and see which models 'grab you'!

Darn.. That was what I was going to post! If you find a firefly secondhand, that is quite nice to play too (there are a few that have been made as cheaper conversions of the same drum used in the firefly) I think the Firefly is a half way house between uke and banjouke... It's more pleasant to listen to.

I would look up Andy Banjo on Google he has a good selection of banjo ukuleles and is very helpful

I have both a 6" open back soprano banjo and a concert size with full resonator. When playing the open back, I tend to cover the sound hole with my body, muting the sound too much. I prefer a concert size uke and subsequently,. a concert size banjo uke. I like the closed back concert model on ebay, but that little $99 kala is hard to pass. Very bright and plinky. A little more difficult to play for me and I have small hands for a guy. I installed a calfskin head on my concert for a "high end" banjo uke sound. It had a mylar head which I hated. If not that, I'd have installed a Remo Rennaisance head for a mellower sound.

These are great suggesting guys, thanks! I currently own a Makala Soprano and a Makala Tenor. I have large hands but Im not sure which one I find easier to play, it kind of fluctuates. Do you think that Kala would be too small?

These are great suggesting guys, thanks! I currently own a Makala Soprano and a Makala Tenor. I have large hands but Im not sure which one I find easier to play, it kind of fluctuates. Do you think that Kala would be too small?

In terms of size. you should find the Kala Banjolele no more difficult than your soprano.

It's biggest advantage for you I feel would be it's relatively light weight. The Ashbury & the Aiersi will both feel quite heavy - even compared to your tenor.

I've played all three & the Kala is by far the more 'Ukulele-like'.

The Music Room in Cleckheaton have a good selection.

http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/index.php/cPath/538_283

I have the "Heartwood" one (DUB-5 in the list). Chinese made and not particularly cheap but excellent quality finish. Great tone, very banjo like and loud!

The Tonewood one (DUB-1) looks like it might be worth a look. I've seen Tonewood banjos in a local music shop and it looks as if they might be from the same maker as Heartwood. One Tonewood banjo's pot looked identical to mine and the design of the fretboard and neck were the same and the quality of finish were similar.

If I wanted a decent banjo uke at an extremely low price,, that Aiersi on ebay looks like a great deal. Most, if not all of those Asian ukes are siblings. I love the headstock. At most, you might want a mellower head for it and maybe learn to do a little setup work. If you just love playing banjo uke, you can patiently keep your eyes open for an extremely "spiffy" vintage banjo uke. If you are a bit "handy", perhaps you can find a great deal on one that needs "refurbished." Lots of wonderful banjo ukes in the UK

I sell Aiersi Ukuleles in the US. They are a bargain for there quality. I simply love the banjo ukuleles. I have a name of a UK Aiersi seller. If you would like I will dig it out. my email is coovs442@aol.com

Top Bottom