PDA

View Full Version : RISA Tenor advice please

Markyboy
05-22-2014, 11:07 PM
Hi,

hope you are all well, and thanks for reading this post. I have a couple of questions regarding my quite stunning RISA tenor.

I'm looking for a recommendation for an amp for playing live. I want to create a sound which can be miked up. I'm twiddling with a a AD121 trying to find the 'right' sound, but I'm looking for a decent amp which will make the RISA sound less metallic. Also the C and E strings dominate the G and A. On occasion playing a chord progression the C sounds like a bass line. (I quite like the idea as I don't play with a bassist in the group ukulele group I play with) but I need a more equal sound which is closer to an acoustic sound than electric I mostly play the rhythm parts. I like the idea of complementing the other ukuleles as if it was like a Hammond organ, full, and in the background . Confused..? Me too!

Can someone recommend an amp and set up please that will offer a more warm, fuller acoustic rhythmical type sound before I splash some cash.

Also I'm on my 3rd A string in one month. The break always happens about an inch between the tuning head and bridge.

It's a big ask but thanks for your help in anticipation.

Markyboy

Jim Hanks
05-23-2014, 01:47 AM
Is this the stick or one of the steel string models? Since you say "fuller acoustic" I'm guessing the stick.

Amps are such personal decisions. I don't have a specific recommendation. But let me comment about the "miked up" comment. If you're not sure what amp sound you want, you may be better off getting a multi-effects unit and feeding that directly to the PA. This would give you the chance to try a lot of different amp models to figure out what you want. There are lots of great hardware units from the likes of Line 6, Digitech, Roland, Zoom, etc or if you have an iPhone/ipad there are several very good apps (some free even) to fit the bill including Jam-up, Bias, Amplitube, etc.

kissing
05-23-2014, 04:40 AM
Any "Acoustic amp" would suffice. There are some nice, affordable ones by Roland, VOX, Kustom and Behringer.

Markyboy
05-24-2014, 12:14 AM
Thanks Jim most useful

M

blue_knight_usa
05-24-2014, 04:05 AM
Hi,

hope you are all well, and thanks for reading this post. I have a couple of questions regarding my quite stunning RISA tenor.

I'm looking for a recommendation for an amp for playing live. I want to create a sound which can be miked up. I'm twiddling with a a AD121 trying to find the 'right' sound, but I'm looking for a decent amp which will make the RISA sound less metallic. Also the C and E strings dominate the G and A. On occasion playing a chord progression the C sounds like a bass line. (I quite like the idea as I don't play with a bassist in the group ukulele group I play with) but I need a more equal sound which is closer to an acoustic sound than electric I mostly play the rhythm parts. I like the idea of complementing the other ukuleles as if it was like a Hammond organ, full, and in the background . Confused..? Me too!

Can someone recommend an amp and set up please that will offer a more warm, fuller acoustic rhythmical type sound before I splash some cash.

Also I'm on my 3rd A string in one month. The break always happens about an inch between the tuning head and bridge.

It's a big ask but thanks for your help in anticipation.

Markyboy

I have the Risa LP like the mini Les Paul and assume that is what you have since the stick does not have metal steel strings where the LP does. it really drives my VOX AC30 with amazing sound. I adjust the tone on both the LP and switch the pickup switch to use both humbuckers. I also use a tweed amp model and the sound it great. There are A LOT of great amps. Take your RISA to a Guitar Center or store with amps and play it there. Guitar center sucks for Ukes or people that know product in my opinion unless you get lucky. However the amps they carry include Fender, Vox, And some others that are fine for everyone except maybe someone looking for super high end Mesa Boogie or other super high end or custom amps.

I have scored great hardware less than online buy looking for floor models, open box or a slightly aesthetically damaged ( I could care less about a scratch on the side of the amp ). I last scored a 16 channel mixing board that had bent slider switches. They looked bad so they gave me 30% off and it was brand new. I played it up how bad they were and then when I got home I literally just bent them back. The are perfectly straight and I scored a 400.00 bard for 275 bucks and same warranty.

Good luck.