Kala Brand Music CO. - Behind the scenes at their HQ and interview.

blue_knight_usa

Reaction score
Hi All,

I had a great time at Kala Brand Instruments last week and got some great info you'll hear about in my interview with Jason Villa, Manufacturing Manager of Kala. I asked specific questions from UU folks who sent me questions a few months back. I had to cancel on them 3x due to work emergencies and they were so understanding and fantastic to deal with.

I hope you enjoy the photos and a one on one interview to hear what Kala has been doing and what's ahead in the near future. My video was viewed and approved by Kala owner Mike Upton (thanks Mike!) for public viewing.

http://youtu.be/njlAe9uBDkA

More interviews of other luthiers and companies to come soon.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I had a great time at Kala Brand Instruments last week and got some great info you'll hear about in my interview with Jason Villa, Manufacturing Manager of Kala. I asked specific questions from UU folks who sent me questions a few months back. I had to cancel on them 3x due to work emergencies and they were so understanding and fantastic to deal with.

I hope you enjoy the photos and a one on one interview to hear what Kala has been doing and what's ahead in the near future. My video was viewed and approved by Kala owner Mike Upton (thanks Mike!) for public viewing.

http://youtu.be/njlAe9uBDkA

More interviews of other luthiers and companies to come soon.

Ryan, did you catch the honorable mention?

Thanks! My Spruce/Ovangkol tenor is a fantastic instrument for the price. I think that we equate quality with high price, but this is one instrument that clearly demonstrates a great ukulele can be had at a very affordable price. I've returned several higher priced tenors because they can't match the tone and volume of the spruce/ovangkol Kala. The cedar and acacia isn't far behind....

Thanks Jay! Very interesting to hear about Kala's US made products.

Good to hear what's happening: Kala's a great company.

I think the general challenge for the industry to to keep up general public awareness of the ukulele. This creates a nice mass market for sales across the board.

USA production is something I think we'll see more of: the economic situation in China may be a bit more perilous than we fully know. And USA labor really isn't all that non-competitive, when you look at associated factors. Responsiveness to the market is considerably gained as well.

I saw/heard a video review of the banjo uke and it sounds like an excellent product and looks like one as well. (However, Cap just ain't in the market for a banjo uke, not my bag of tea, so I'm glad to hear they're looking at other styles).

Good to hear what's happening: Kala's a great company.

I think the general challenge for the industry to to keep up general public awareness of the ukulele. This creates a nice mass market for sales across the board.

USA production is something I think we'll see more of: the economic situation in China may be a bit more perilous than we fully know. And USA labor really isn't all that non-competitive, when you look at associated factors. Responsiveness to the market is considerably gained as well.

I saw/heard a video review of the banjo uke and it sounds like an excellent product and looks like one as well. (However, Cap just ain't in the market for a banjo uke, not my bag of tea, so I'm glad to hear they're looking at other styles).

I'm not a banjo fan either, but for those looking for one, I would definitely check theirs out. I believe it's a very niche market. Sort of like dessert wine compared to all other wines, many people don't like the flavor and others love it after dinner.

Top Bottom