For Sale: Arch-top Electric Steel String East-Start Alida Uke with Hard Case $254

Status
Not open for further replies.

KohanMike

Los Angeles, Beverly Grove West
UU VIP
Reaction score
If you've followed the long drawn out history of the electric arch-top group buy I started in mid December, you know this uke. After the over four month wait to receive it, my knowledge and ability has improved, and I find that this uke really doesn't suit me, so I've decided to sell it for what I paid, $254 (I put in about $50 more).

It's designed after the Gibson ES-350;
• Fully electric hollow body
• 16" scale, between concert and tenor
• flame European tiger maple, glossy urethane finish
• cream binding with abalone inlay
• low ratio tuning machines, needs very little movement to tune
• new bone nut
• new elliptical wound steel strings
• 2 humbucker pickups
• 2 volume and tone controls with new low profile labelled knobs
• new 4 string open tailpiece with steel nut inserts to hold the string barrels (includes the original 6 string scroll tailpiece)
• new lower profile switch knob
• includes a very nice brown checkered hard case

The C string has a strong buzz on the 4th fret, which should be fixed with proper fret dressing work, the nut can still be lowered a bit. I stained the inner edge of the f-holes, and shaved off some of the bridge posts to not scrape the strumming hand. Extra tailpiece and two wood bridges I thought might be good replacements but never tried.

I loved the look of it at the time (looks like my Ibanez arch-top guitar) and I'm sure it will please anyone who desires something like this.

Alida knobs.jpg

brown case.jpg

Last edited:
The weekend is usually a bad time to push stuff in my experience here over the years. That said, I just bumped mine up about an hour ago, but only 'cause I have nothing better to do right now. Haha. Good luck with the sale. It should go within the week at that price. -- Matt

Thanks Matt. First sale listing, have to be patient, and it's also a holiday weekend in the US so even more patience.

Zero replies, where are the people who wished they got in on the group deal?

Maybe they read the post-delivery threads?

Just kidding. I know there's someone out there who wants to buy one of these, but it is a holiday weekend in the US, and, from what I can tell, activity has been low on this site all weekend.

Patience, Mike. I'm sure it will sell. Though, if it doesn't, you might find a local music store would be willing to sell it for you at a reasonable cut. If I saw one of these in the window I'd dive in there.

At first, I was very disappointed with mine, not because of the instrument itself, but just because it wasn't the model I ordered. I initially tried selling it to someone here who PM'd me. However, that fell through and after using it for a couple of weeks I am now getting used to its idiosyncrasies and I will probably keep it for now until the lottery win I am due allows me to get the Sunburst Risa Les Paul ;).

Don't forget that it's the end of the month and some folks have bills to pay. Seeing as we also just finished a long holiday weekend, some of us have graduations to deal with, or have just finished dealing with graduations, funds or time may not be available for some.

Yeah Berni, I actually thought about putting it on consignment with U-Space in downtown LA, will be there June 28 for their first annual Uke Expo. Maybe I'll bring it there with a For Sale sign.

Hey Captain Simian, that's another thought, this would make a great graduation gift. (Ya' hear that everyone with school age kids?)

Last edited:
At first, I was very disappointed with mine, not because of the instrument itself, but just because it wasn't the model I ordered. I initially tried selling it to someone here who PM'd me. However, that fell through and after using it for a couple of weeks I am now getting used to its idiosyncrasies and I will probably keep it for now until the lottery win I am due allows me to get the Sunburst Risa Les Paul ;).

I'm with you, Berni. There was frustration over the length of time the order took and some disappointment over getting a different configuration than I requested. But the little sucker plays pretty good, and after I had a luthier adjust the nut and fret and bridge, it's positively sweet.

I'm playing all kinds of different stuff, which I really enjoy. And if I ever want to supercharge it, I could get a couple of Seymour Duncan pickups put In and still be a couple hundred less than the Risa LP.

Sowhat if it needs a stain touch up around the sound holes, or it has a tailpiece? Doesn't make a whit of difference in the playability or sound. I am pretty convinced we got what we paid for, and more. Maybe not for everyone, but I don't regret the purchase at all!

Mindful of the old axiom that the moment you drive your new car off the dealer's lot, it becomes a used car of substantially lower value (unlike a vintage, collectible ukulele, which this is not), I'm curious: Why are you asking your original purchase price for a used ukeulele, even though it has a strong buzz on the C string and requires fret work? Also, if you were willing to spend more than you paid on modifications, why stop short of eliminating the buzz?

Mindful of the old axiom that the moment you drive your new car off the dealer's lot, it becomes a used car of substantially lower value (unlike a vintage, collectible ukulele, which this is not), I'm curious: Why are you asking your original purchase price for a used ukeulele, even though it has a strong buzz on the C string and requires fret work? Also, if you were willing to spend more than you paid on modifications, why stop short of eliminating the buzz?

The "old axiom" you mention, imo, doesn't apply to this particular sale. These ukuleles cannot be purchased at this price anywhere, whether new or used or fixed up to be better than new, as in this particular case. I, for one, see nothing wrong with the asking price, and, in fact, think this is a great deal. As far as the OP wanting to the sell the uke, I think he have a terrific explanation as to why he is doing so.

THIS is why selling stuff on UU stinks... the peanut gallery always has to chime in. For people whose only intentions are to disrupt, there ought be sanctions... -- Matt

Sanction this, Matt. How do you know I'm not negotiating? Is that disallowed? And why are you responding for the seller?

Sanction WHAT? You have a funny way of negotiating, pal. I have taken it upon myself to dole out vigilantly justice on UU, if you must know. Good day, sir! Or lady... -- Matt :eek:

Actually the first question is quite simple. A new one, buzzing C string and in need of fret work, will cost you $400 + shipping + the case. Here's one for less-than half the price, with additional extras , tail piece, knobs, etc.

That may also be the answer for your other question as well, but I can't say for sure.

I think it's best to just let any potential buyers decide what an item for sale is worth. We can have our opinions (on either "side"), but what do they matter when it's either going to sell or not, and when it sells then someone felt it was worth the price – or if it doesn't, then it wasn't worth the price.

Sanction this, Matt. How do you know I'm not negotiating? Is that disallowed? And why are you responding for the seller?

I have no dog in this fight but if you're negotiating the respectful thing to do is send them a PM. Doing it in a public manner makes it look like you're trying to shame or embarrass the seller.

If you've followed the long drawn out history of the electric arch-top group buy I started in mid December, you know this uke. After the over four month wait to receive it, my knowledge and ability has improved, and I find that this uke really doesn't suit me, so I've decided to sell it for what I paid, $254 (I put in about $50 more).

It's designed after the Gibson ES-350;
• Fully electric hollow body
• 16" scale, between concert and tenor
• flame European tiger maple, glossy urethane finish
• cream binding with abalone inlay
• low ratio tuning machines, needs very little movement to tune
• new bone nut
• new elliptical wound steel strings
• 2 humbucker pickups
• 2 volume and tone controls with new low profile labelled knobs
• new 4 string open tailpiece with steel nut inserts to hold the string barrels (includes the original 6 string scroll tailpiece)
• new lower profile switch knob
• includes a very nice brown checkered hard case

The C string has a strong buzz on the 4th fret, which should be fixed with proper fret dressing work, the nut can still be lowered a bit. I stained the inner edge of the f-holes, and shaved off some of the bridge posts to not scrape the strumming hand. Extra tailpiece and two wood bridges I thought might be good replacements but never tried.

I loved the look of it at the time (looks like my Ibanez arch-top guitar) and I'm sure it will please anyone who desires something like this.

Alida knobs.jpg

brown case.jpg

I'd really need a video with sound samples to decide if this is something I would
consider investing in . I've been looking to get a solid steel string tenor electric
but vorson makes a electric steel string tenor and their for way less money
and their full solid body not semi. I would just need to hear how it sounds in action
to make a decision but I am in the market for something similar to this.

It's 50% less than anywhere else, I found I'm not into a steel string after all, it's a great deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom