has anyone seen this video concert scale banjolele with DBGE tuning?

iamesperambient

Reaction score
I have the Southcoast dGBE set on my tenor Gold Tone. It really did "tone down" the brashness of it, and I think this concert sounds even more so. Truthfully, I'm not sure I'm totally sold on the sound. I mean its a good sound and is a lot mellower than stock, but partially defeats the purpose of the banjo uke. I'll probably try something diferent when it's time to change strings.

Sounded dead too me.

I don't think it sounded 'dead' i just don't think it has that 'plink' personally i think george forby high pitched banjolele playing is very annoying sounding. I like the more low tuned sound. I would rather get a tenor banjo and tune it like a baritone or buy the gold tone baritone banjolele i think it would offer a better sound.

i think even a tenor banjolele (if they make em) tuned to a linear C with a low G would sound better to me too.

I have the Southcoast dGBE set on my tenor Gold Tone. It really did "tone down" the brashness of it, and I think this concert sounds even more so. Truthfully, I'm not sure I'm totally sold on the sound. I mean its a good sound and is a lot mellower than stock, but partially defeats the purpose of the banjo uke. I'll probably try something diferent when it's time to change strings.

btw on an off note. Its weird bruce considers his 19" ukes to be 'tenors" considering the scale of a standard baritone 19-20 inches or slightly above.
Im very curious his reasons for his scale lengths, i do enjoy the 22" scale on my baritone konablaster just wondered why he didn't keep the scales
in line with more s tandard ones. Maybe it has something to do with the electric steel string tension ?

i guess one good thing about it is to get more of the tenor banjo sound with more portability ?
Some just like the smaller size but don't care for the plinkiness honestly i think im one of those people.

i think even a tenor banjolele (if they make em) tuned to a linear C with a low G would sound better to me too.
As I said, mine *is* a tenor banjolele. I thought the gCEA it came with was a little harsh, annoying as you say. I had the same thought as you but unfortunately the tailpiece won't accept a low G for the 4th string as the hole is too small. So that's how I ended up with the high 'd' tuning. Without modifying the tailpiece (and maybe the nut), this uke is stuck with reentrant tuning. But I may go up to A or Bb next time to get a little more of the twang back.

btw on an off note. Its weird bruce considers his 19" ukes to be 'tenors" considering the scale of a standard baritone 19-20 inches ?
I don't want to hijack this banjolele thread - I'll be doing a NUD post on the 19" KB soon, but I agree I'm gonna call it a bari regardless. FWIW, I have seen some 19" acoustic ukes billed as "long neck tenor" but I'm with you here.

Top Bottom