PDA

View Full Version : How do you combat UAS?

JayMadison
05-24-2014, 12:19 PM
So I started playing a month or two ago, and somehow I seem to have 3 ukes now (including the fluke that's being shipped to me) and i'm curious how you stop the whole UAS thing before you wind up devoting a room in your house to them. Not that i'd really mind that, since they are all basically unique and interesting.

Rllink
05-24-2014, 12:25 PM
So I started playing a month or two ago, and somehow I seem to have 3 ukes now (including the fluke that's being shipped to me) and i'm curious how you stop the whole UAS thing before you wind up devoting a room in your house to them. Not that i'd really mind that, since they are all basically unique and interesting.I would start by asking, why are you buying them?

JayMadison
05-24-2014, 12:31 PM
Mostly because I like the idea of appreciating the different facets of the instrument, they basically all have different woods and I enjoy playing all of them. It's a lot like learning different programing languages, some are good for some things some good for others. It's the way I tend to appreciate things I'm a fan of.

Ukulele Eddie
05-24-2014, 12:39 PM
Get married. Trying to "justify" more than 2-3 ukes to your S.O. makes one realize how silly it is. ;-)

bobinde
05-24-2014, 12:49 PM
My question is, WHY combat UAS? Other than SWMBO, of course . . .

bobinde

pakhan
05-24-2014, 01:08 PM
Best way to combat UAS? Just get another uke...

JayMadison
05-24-2014, 01:18 PM
Best way to combat UAS? Just get another uke...

So I guess I better get some sort of shelving/storage system now lol. Thanks guys

OldePhart
05-24-2014, 01:32 PM
Surrender!

Rllink
05-24-2014, 01:57 PM
Mostly because I like the idea of appreciating the different facets of the instrument, they basically all have different woods and I enjoy playing all of them. It's a lot like learning different programing languages, some are good for some things some good for others. It's the way I tend to appreciate things I'm a fan of.I'm hearing this UAS being thrown around a lot, but it sounds to me like you are a ukulele collector, along with being a ukulele player. Nothing wrong with having two hobbies.

JayMadison
05-24-2014, 01:57 PM
Surrender!

*giggle* I suppose that's the default option

JayMadison
05-24-2014, 02:05 PM
To quote the Eagles, we are all just prisoners here of our own device

PereBourik
05-24-2014, 04:22 PM
My question is, WHY combat UAS? Other than SWMBO, of course . . .

bobinde

....+1....

aquadan
05-24-2014, 04:45 PM
It's infinitely cheaper then when I had kayak acquisition syndrome so I just enjoy it. Although I'm jonesing for a few I can't justify right now, so purchases may be on hold for awhile.

Ukejenny
05-24-2014, 05:01 PM
Get married. Trying to "justify" more than 2-3 ukes to your S.O. makes one realize how silly it is. ;-)

Unless you get your SO interested in ukes as well, which just enables you all the more... I have my "forever" concert uke picked out and he's not appallingly against it. It is just a matter of time.

PereBourik
05-24-2014, 05:30 PM
It's infinitely cheaper then when I had kayak acquisition syndrome so I just enjoy it. Although I'm jonesing for a few I can't justify right now, so purchases may be on hold for awhile.

Cheaper than bicycles too. And let's not even get into mistresses and Porsches.

Moldybread
05-24-2014, 06:29 PM
I'm spending my money on lessons instead.

Inksplosive AL
05-24-2014, 08:24 PM
Extreme Hoarding Ukulele's strummed to death will be airing on some cable channel in the very near future.

Icelander53
05-24-2014, 09:22 PM
So I started playing a month or two ago, and somehow I seem to have 3 ukes now (including the fluke that's being shipped to me) and i'm curious how you stop the whole UAS thing before you wind up devoting a room in your house to them. Not that i'd really mind that, since they are all basically unique and interesting.

I'm sure my death will put an end to it.

pondweed
05-24-2014, 10:02 PM
I think the answer is to buy lots of ukes. Then the mania gradually subsides and normal life (and playing) re-starts.

Roselynne
05-24-2014, 10:51 PM
UAS-busters are everywhere! My favorites:

1. SWMBO = Spouse Who Must Be Obeyed (Well, respected, anyway. Because marriage/relationship and common decency.)

2. Lack of Funds

3. Lack of Storage Space (best established by adding guitars to the mix)

4. Lack of Time to Play Them All (especially meaningful for those of us who also have guitar issues)

5. Gotta-Have Accessories (camps, festivals, lessons, strings for various tunings, books/charts, capos, tuners/batteries ...)

For me, it's All of the Above ... and yet ... despite all of this ... I have 4 ukuleles and am contemplating a 5th (that, or a Seagull dolcimer, as soon as funds come in).

Gooood Luck!

DownUpDave
05-25-2014, 02:50 AM
Resistance is futile.

If you are the type than you are the type. A better term is GAS =Gear Acqustion Syndrome. I have had that with every other hobbie.

Ukes are maybe a bit different. They are so small and innocent looking, sweet and pleasant, fun and social. They are just made to hang out together in bunches. Apparently pretty big bunches by the look of some peoples signature list. Maybe these ukes secretly mate and have babies.

flailingfingers
05-25-2014, 03:03 AM
My reasoning: musical instruments are living things with souls. They need to be played. They WANT to be played. Having a large collection makes it difficult even impossible to play them all with regularity. The idea of a "collection" hanging somewhere sort of sickens me. Those instruments should be in the hands of musicians who PLAY them. (Donate them to a school music program?)
I've come to this conclusion late in life having already gone through acquisition syndromes in other areas. Wisdom or senility? Your call.

cb56
05-25-2014, 03:23 AM
Buy a banjo! You'll still have UAS but BAS will compete with it and slow down the UAS. When all that gets overwhelming buy a tenor guitar and start the process all over again...... oh, never mind.

Rllink
05-25-2014, 04:21 AM
My reasoning: musical instruments are living things with souls. They need to be played. They WANT to be played. Having a large collection makes it difficult even impossible to play them all with regularity. The idea of a "collection" hanging somewhere sort of sickens me. Those instruments should be in the hands of musicians who PLAY them. (Donate them to a school music program?)
I've come to this conclusion late in life having already gone through acquisition syndromes in other areas. Wisdom or senility? Your call.I kind of see that myself. I have one ukulele and in the short time that I've been playing it, it has become like a good friend. I've become very comfortable around it. I like it, and it likes me. A lot of times if I'm headed out somewhere I'll grab it and bring it along, even if I don't plan to play it. It has become "my ukulele". I've developed a loyalty towards it. Lately, when I find fancier and more expensive ukes and the urge to buy another one starts to pull at me, I almost feel like I would be cheating on the one that I have.

flailingfingers
05-25-2014, 04:44 AM
I kind of see that myself. I have one ukulele and in the short time that I've been playing it, it has become like a good friend. I've become very comfortable around it. I like it, and it likes me. A lot of times if I'm headed out somewhere I'll grab it and bring it along, even if I don't plan to play it. It has become "my ukulele". I've developed a loyalty towards it. Lately, when I find fancier and more expensive ukes and the urge to buy another one starts to pull at me, I almost feel like I would be cheating on the one that I have.
I get that completely! I feel that my uke responds to being played and gets "happier" and even sounds sweeter as I play it longer. It's my friend. We have fun together.

stevepetergal
05-25-2014, 05:42 AM
I have found that UAS has an inherent cure that works for me. Poverty.

KnowsPickin
05-25-2014, 05:58 AM
I've only been playing since September and I'm already up to three. In order of acquisition I have a Kala spalted maple tenor in reentrant tuning; a Mainland classic mahogany tenor in linear tuning (my go to instrument); and a cool looking Kala Ukadelic steampunk soprano just for knocking around. To make it worse, I've already picked out a beautiful Mya Moe maple tenor design to order as soon as my finances are stabilized. :drool: At least I'm not likely to buy more mundane ukes while saving for the MM.

Why couldn't I have picked a nice INexpensive hobby like cocaine. :rolleyes:

bnolsen
05-25-2014, 07:24 AM
i shifted over to GAS (electric bass in particular). That hasn't stopped me from playing my ukuleles but I've been thinning the herd a little at a time. Time to play everything is IMHO the biggest killer of an ?AS syndrome. Now that I have a couple of awesome great amps my UAS has shifted towards wanting something to plug in, preferably something solid bodied...

Nickie
05-25-2014, 03:58 PM
I see nothing wrong with having more than one, as long as you don't spend the rent or grocery money buying them....I was up to six...I thought it was a little ridiculous, so I gave one of them up....now I'm ready to get ridiculous again....I have one for playing with an amp, in re-entrant....and another type of wood for different songs, un-amped, one for work, it gets knocked around, and another to learn a differnt style of playing on....what's the problem?

tbeltrans
05-26-2014, 08:16 AM

This is my first post outside the introductions sub-forum. I am trying an experiment that should help to deal with UAS. I have played guitar for many years, and found that buying lots of guitars was, for me, really a search for the "right" ones. I don't know (yet) about ukuleles, but with guitars there are different types for different styles, so having one top shelf model for each style I play seems about right for me. I have one decent wood acoustic and one decent jazz archtop. I arrived at those after going through many guitars. I have a few others that I want to sell/trade at some point, since I don't use them. I traded my other fine wood acoustic straight across for my first ukulele - a high end, handmade Ko'olau Deluxe. I figure the only reason I would need another ukulele is if I decide I need one in standard (re-entrant) tuning and one in low G. Right now, I have my ukulele in low G for the music I want to play. If I decide to stay with that, or only change tunings occasionally, then I should only need one ukulele.

In my case, I seem to have skipped over the entire process of getting a "starter" ukulele, outgrowing it and having to move on to another, and in that process, going through many ukuleles. I know nothing about ukuleles, so maybe this is completely wrong, but I am sure I will find out over the coming months and years.

The other thing I am doing differently is that, since I know music theory, can read music or play by ear, and am familiar with how to find the notes on the fretboard and build chords, I am skipping the whole "beginner" thing and jumping right into the music I want to play. It will be interesting to see how that turns out.

So, my involvement with the ukulele is one big experiment of what I would do if I could do it all over again, but benefitting from prior experience with the guitar. It would be great if 10 years from now, I am doing well musically with the ukulele, am able to play any song I can hum, and am doing it all on the same ukulele I started with. I am not suggesting everybody should do this or even that anybody should. I was in a unique position to get a very expensive ukulele with NO cash outlay and come into playing from years of playing guitar AND knowing how music works. If this does work, I would seriously consider writing a very different method for learning ukulele though.

Tony

TG&Y
05-26-2014, 11:05 AM
How do you combat UAS?

American Express

peaceweaver3
05-26-2014, 11:07 AM
How to combat UAS... Mindfulness. No lie. And the all-important question: Do I really need this? And the requisite, difficult answer: No. I've also noticed it helps to try out strings on the uke/s you already own. Even if you don't like them - new strings that is, they're usually inexpensive especially compared to ukes. And you could find a sound you didn't expect, but really like. :)

rreffner
05-26-2014, 11:29 AM
Get a second job. :)

OldePhart
05-26-2014, 01:20 PM
@tbeltrans - that's pretty much the key. I have several ukuleles but they are mostly mid to high range and different sizes and styles. I'm not the least bit tempted to just keep adding more stuff. One or two of the ukes I have might get sold if I get around to it but most of them get played pretty regularly.

Like you, I learned on guitars that "6 $300 guitars aren't equal to one $1800 guitar." Except, it was a lot more than six of them...I guess 'cause I'm a slow learner. LOL

John

JayMadison
05-26-2014, 02:09 PM
How to combat UAS... Mindfulness. No lie. And the all-important question: Do I really need this? And the requisite, difficult answer: No. I've also noticed it helps to try out strings on the uke/s you already own. Even if you don't like them - new strings that is, they're usually inexpensive especially compared to ukes. And you could find a sound you didn't expect, but really like. :)

I find mindfulfulness a bit touchy feely for me but I like the point, I tend to do something simlar with elecronic gadgets, basically if I don't love it sell it to someone who will

Freeda
05-26-2014, 02:34 PM
Resistance is futile.

1931jim
05-26-2014, 02:35 PM
"""basically if I don't love it """sell it to someone who will
I love you almost as much as my John Deere tractor.

Ukulele Eddie
05-26-2014, 04:27 PM
Unless you get your SO interested in ukes as well, which just enables you all the more... I have my "forever" concert uke picked out and he's not appallingly against it. It is just a matter of time.

Do tell. What is it?

Ukulele Eddie
05-26-2014, 04:35 PM
Cheaper than bicycles too. And let's not even get into mistresses and Porsches.

I'm an avid cyclist (and racer) but have never been much afflicted with BAS. My bikes are pretty reasonable by racer standards. I do love cars as well. And fortunately, I married the perfect woman for me so no dollars going to that other category.

JayMadison
05-26-2014, 04:35 PM
I love you almost as much as my John Deere tractor.

Well or give it away if you know someone who could benefit

NewKid
05-26-2014, 05:04 PM
Be grateful for the ones you have.

Hammond
05-26-2014, 06:03 PM
UAS not infected (yet?). I see not everyone get UAS. I am at the point that one uke could get me enough joy, than have to chase tens of ukes to get.

But if you do get UAS, I do not think need to combat it, as long as it doesn't break you life and family (of course). Just accept the fact, enjoy the happiness it brings you.

Icelander53
05-27-2014, 03:26 AM
I'm starting to discover that my UAS has a function. Over time and many ukes I'm finding a few that really play well (easily) and sound decent. In the long run these will be keepers and the rest will be sold off or given up. But had I not had UAS I would never have gotten my wood Fluke or my Gretsch cutaway. The Gretsch btw is one of the least expensive ukes I own but as far as playability it's the best and it sounds very good to my ear and my audience when I have one. If I could only keep one that would be it. My Fluke is second. I have currently 2 more on order as I'd like to have three or four that I really like and then end the search.

Andy Chen
05-27-2014, 10:16 PM

+1!

Your wife will be a good defence barrier against UAS.

But in all seriousness, UAS really does mean costly research. I doubt you will want to keep all that you have bought for all time.

UAS also means a relatively healthier obsession than alcoholism or gambling addiction or womanizing.

Hammond
05-27-2014, 11:07 PM
UAS also means a relatively healthier obsession than alcoholism or gambling addition or womanizing.
:agree::agree:

savagehenry
05-28-2014, 12:04 AM
Lately whenever UAS really kicks in, it's usually from ukulele envy. Someone posts a review, picture, or a video and my UAS slips into overdrive. I have found that the best way for me to fight it is to research ukuleles that I already own. I find a cool youtube review of one of my ukuleles and it helps me to appreciate what I already have. This may sound dumb, but think that someone else's passion for an instrument helps to fuel our own fire, so try and appreciate what you already have. Sometimes you can get a new ukulele with just a string change.

dnewton2
05-28-2014, 06:46 AM
My Moore Bettah pretty much cured me. I had bought a few after the MB aquisition but ended up selling them. I just kind of felt like what was the point of playing a mass produced uke when I had one of the best in my stable.

Nickie
05-28-2014, 11:51 AM
Brian, that sounds like taking the fun out of it, LOL! Seriously though, putting Aquila strings on my little Ohana soprano (maybe the same one you have) breathed new life into it....I'm not in love with the little bugger, but I vowed not to buy another uke until I can play at least one classical peice on it well!

If we could all afford to buy a MB or DeVine, that would end UAS....forever!
My new UAS goal is to go to Hawaii and buy a Kamaka....a lot less dough than either of those....but really, my new Ohana koa concert is better than I ever dreamed I could have....maybe I can find time to post a review, it really kicks butt!

Pueo
05-28-2014, 01:21 PM
Poorly, apparently!

SteveZ
05-28-2014, 03:54 PM
It started out as GAS (guitar), then came MAS (mandolin), now UAS has started and in the wings is potential BAS (banjo). Apparently it's really SIAS (stringed instruments). My spouse is waiting to see if I start looking at violins or bass.

So, UAS is just a strain of a bigger ailment.

JayMadison
05-28-2014, 04:01 PM
Well I just built a uke rack in the living room, y'know just in case

kirbo
05-29-2014, 05:02 PM
You don't. You embrace it.

ichadwick
05-30-2014, 01:37 AM
Too late. You get infected by simply picking one up. The fact that you're on the UU Forum means you have it.

Hot sweats when you see a particularly nice ukulele? Wake up at night dreaming of ukuleles? Fingers twitch on an imaginary fretboard when you watch someone else play?

There is no cure. Resistance is futile...

feeblepizza
05-30-2014, 01:44 AM
Too late. You get infected by simply picking one up. The fact that you're on the UU Forum means you have it.

Hot sweats when you see a particularly nice ukulele? Wake up at night dreaming of ukuleles? Fingers twitch on an imaginary fretboard when you watch someone else play?

There is no cure. Resistance is futile...

I literally do all of these things.

YorkSteve
06-02-2014, 05:42 AM
One possible solution is to place a deposit with MyaMoe. That locks your uke buying for exactly one year, because a) any other uke won't be as good, and b) you can't afford another one.:)