PDA

View Full Version : What does Propylene glycol have to do with ukuleles?

BrockLeigh
02-11-2009, 03:51 PM
...maybe nothing.

Any of you luthiers out there use Propylene glycol in your humidification systems?

I know its properties keep humidity at a constant 70% which is good for cigars but is there a mixture that I can use for my wood instruments?

Currently I have 4 humidifiers in my case and I only achieve 44% in a Ameritage case, using there digital hydrometer. I am using 2 clay, and 2 sponge humidifiers.

I am trying to reset the wood by the bridge that has recently pulled forward. Loosing the strings and keeping the uke in a moist environment appears to be working, does it?

SuperSecretBETA
02-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Glad I'm not the only person who needs a wealth of humidifiers to get high enough. LOL Good questions though.

Renaissance-Man
02-12-2009, 02:55 AM
Propylene glycol is extremely toxic. Don't even think about using it if you have household pets. Glycol has a higher vapor pressure than water (it evaporates at a faster rate).

wearymicrobe
02-12-2009, 05:47 AM
When I have a job like that I just get out the 65% cigar beads 2-3 ounces is enough to keep a huge amount of space at 65% and they are contained in a nice little tube.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-12-2009, 07:21 AM
44% RH sounds fine to me IMO. (I build my ukes at 45%.) Ideally your uke will be happiest in an environment of anywhere between 35%-60%.

SuperSecretBETA
02-12-2009, 08:05 AM
44% RH sounds fine to me IMO. (I build my ukes at 45%.) Ideally your uke will be happiest in an environment of anywhere between 35%-60%.

That's good to know. Sometimes it drops to 35% RH even with 4 freshly moistened Herco clay pots in a hardcase. Maybe I just need some plant-life in my room.

BrockLeigh
02-12-2009, 04:50 PM
Propylene glycol is extremely toxic. Don't even think about using it if you have household pets. Glycol has a higher vapor pressure than water (it evaporates at a faster rate).

I think you might be getting that confused with Ethylene glycol, which is found in anti-freeze.

Ethylene glycol ingestion first affects the central nervous system (CNS). After a characteristic latent period, signs of inebriation may be followed by serious illness and even death, caused by toxic metabolites.

Propylene glycol, which is much less toxic than ethylene glycol, is metabolized to compounds that are normal constituents of the citric acid cycle.

found at: http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/csem/egpg/

I just hope that this returns my movement and eliminates this new fret buzz. Fret buzz although doesn't bother some, really gets under my skin. On guitars I know you can shave the frets a little, can you do that on the uke? Or are they too small?

Bluke
02-13-2009, 09:37 AM
Thanks, everyone. This has been a wonderfully informative thread with actual useful information, and not ruined by a slew of stupid comments by the gang of idiots that usually ruin good threads!

Ukuleleblues
02-14-2009, 07:49 AM
I On guitars I know you can shave the frets a little, can you do that on the uke? Or are they too small?

You can level the frets and lower the high ones just like on a guitar.