What does Propylene glycol have to do with ukuleles?

BrockLeigh

Reaction score
...maybe nothing.

Any of you luthiers out there use Propylene glycol in your humidification systems?

I know its properties keep humidity at a constant 70% which is good for cigars but is there a mixture that I can use for my wood instruments?

Currently I have 4 humidifiers in my case and I only achieve 44% in a Ameritage case, using there digital hydrometer. I am using 2 clay, and 2 sponge humidifiers.

I am trying to reset the wood by the bridge that has recently pulled forward. Loosing the strings and keeping the uke in a moist environment appears to be working, does it?

Glad I'm not the only person who needs a wealth of humidifiers to get high enough. LOL Good questions though.

Propylene glycol is extremely toxic. Don't even think about using it if you have household pets. Glycol has a higher vapor pressure than water (it evaporates at a faster rate).

When I have a job like that I just get out the 65% cigar beads 2-3 ounces is enough to keep a huge amount of space at 65% and they are contained in a nice little tube.

Propylene glycol is extremely toxic. Don't even think about using it if you have household pets. Glycol has a higher vapor pressure than water (it evaporates at a faster rate).

I think you might be getting that confused with Ethylene glycol, which is found in anti-freeze.

Ethylene glycol ingestion first affects the central nervous system (CNS). After a characteristic latent period, signs of inebriation may be followed by serious illness and even death, caused by toxic metabolites.

Propylene glycol, which is much less toxic than ethylene glycol, is metabolized to compounds that are normal constituents of the citric acid cycle.

found at: http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/csem/egpg/

I just hope that this returns my movement and eliminates this new fret buzz. Fret buzz although doesn't bother some, really gets under my skin. On guitars I know you can shave the frets a little, can you do that on the uke? Or are they too small?

Thanks, everyone. This has been a wonderfully informative thread with actual useful information, and not ruined by a slew of stupid comments by the gang of idiots that usually ruin good threads!

Top Bottom