simple recording

Icelander53

Reaction score
My partner and I want to get a simple recording/playback device that can be played back directly without the use of a computer but straight from the recorder. We just want to hear ourselves in the moment for critiquing ourselves. Nothing too fancy or expensive but at least passable sound quality. Anyone know of such?

There are hand-held recorders like the following:

Tascam DR-05

Google the Zoom H1 if the 100 dollar range does not scare you.

If either of you have a Smart Phone, see if there is a Plug-in Mic available like this one for your phone.

Last edited:
do they still make tape recorders? Probably digital versions...

Super simple....if you have a smart phone. Just make a video. The quality is probably just fine for your needs.

There are hand-held recorders like the following:

Tascam DR-05

Google the Zoom H1 if the 100 dollar range does not scare you.

If either of you have a Smart Phone, see if there is a Plug-in Mic available like this one for your phone.

I have the DR-05. It's great quality for the price. We also use it to play our mp3 backups on gigs.

I had a Sansa clip I got for $20 on sale somewhere a few years ago. It is the size on 2 match books and has a built in mic. You can plug in headphones or hook it to the stereo. It is good for quick spontaneous recording, the mic quality is ok but not great. http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Full-Color-MicroSDHC-Stopwatch--SDMX22-004G-A57K/dp/B005FVNGRS/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1401058872&sr=1-6&keywords=recorder+Sansa#productDetails

I'll bring it to the park record a song playing the chords then listen with one earpiece in while I will pick a lead/ melody. It is nice and small, a real plus. That was 4 yrs ago they are probably much better.

A smartphone or a tablet will do better quality even without an external mic. Put a external condenser on it as some one suggested and it would be great.

One of the Zoom, tascam,sony, etc field recorders work great. I have an old zoom h2, great mics on it. Headphones or hook to stereo. The newer $99 h1 looks good and I see the have a h2 with video for $99.

But I you want to go on the cheap, the sana worked ok, you might be able to find an older model with a small amount of memory for next to nothing.

My partner and I want to get a simple recording/playback device that can be played back directly without the use of a computer but straight from the recorder. We just want to hear ourselves in the moment for critiquing ourselves. Nothing too fancy or expensive but at least passable sound quality. Anyone know of such?

An iPad is what you describe.

I'll put another vote in for the Tascam. I use it to record our band rehearsals and I'm consistently pleased with the quality we get.

An iPad is what you describe.

An iPad is rather expensive for that, but since I already use mine for all my lead sheets, I added a Blue Mikey to record rehearsals to be able to practice to at home. I like that it rotates backwards so it's facing the group.

An iPad is rather expensive for that, but since I already use mine for all my lead sheets, I added a Blue Mikey to record rehearsals to be able to practice to at home. I like that it rotates backwards so it's facing the group.

You can get android pads that are 1 generation old for under $80 that would work also.

You can get android pads that are 1 generation old for under $80 that would work also.
One thing you should know is that the previous gen. Android Nexus 7 will not take an external mic., though it has 2 mics built in. ( the 2013 model will) Quality depends on the free video (.3gp format) or audio app you download. & you don't want to listen through the crappy speaker(improved in 2013), but that's true of any computer. OK, that's 2 or 3 things.

Sounds like the way to go.
That will work nicely for you. If you have access to a store that sells field recorders, you might want to go and try a few out to see which ones interface works well for you. My H2 has a tiny screen, if I buy another I would look for a bigger easier to read screen (The newer models have a bigger screen). I also like dedicated buttons for record, play, volume, gain. Just personal preference things.

My wife and I are reverting back to our 4 track cassette recorder, for initial recordings. It is time to go low tech. There is a "cassette culture" movement happening out there. We aren't really looking for a movement, we just are tired of all the things computers do to plot against humans. With computers you never have the fun of rewinding or marking down on a piece of paper where that part is where you have to punch in.

I think I saw a couple for sale at the typewriter store. ;). Sorry for being a smart azz, I could not resist.

I love the simplicity if the zoom h1. no menus, every option has its own switch. as long as you set the level right, it works great - and it doubles as a pc mic and lets you save the files off onto your pc for archiving, editing, etc

Any of the Zoom recorders. I had the H1 and I now use the H2n. The recording button is handier to use on the Zoom H2n.

Petey

Another voice in favour of the H1. I use it for getting down ideas as they occur to me. Transfer to a PC for later editing couldn't be simpler, no drivers, etc.

One thing though, I added a microphone foam globe windscreen thing on it to use outside (cuts out wind). It fits in a pocket (or your shoulder bag) and is the most handy thing to have on you if you are prone to inspiration at the most inopportune moments.

PS Link above is to one of those things for a little lapel mike, not for the H1. But you get what I mean.

Last edited:
Hey Icelander just curious with all the input folks gave you what did you decide on and how did it work out?

Top Bottom