Straps for a KoAloha Tenor

RLM3121

Reaction score
Do any of you use a strap on a KoAloha? I feel sometimes like I need a little more support when standing. The uke thong straps worry me a bit because of the thin top on the KoAloha. I would be interested to know if any of you folks use a strap and what kind.- Thanks

DSC_6085.jpg Endpin plus strap

Don't have anything to add...but I'm kinda interested in this too. I have a koaloha tenor. The uke leash doesn't look so good to me since it supports the neck but not the body of the uke. I'd rather not place an endpin on the body.

The uke leash doesn't look so good to me since it supports the neck but not the body of the uke. I'd rather not place an endpin on the body.

I have always thought the same thing. But, as I play these days without the strap, it seems the body doesn't move much. In fact the neck hardly moves at all, but if it would hold a bit more still I would find some of my playing easier. (Just a bit though. It doesn't take much.) I plan to get a uke leash and give it a try.

Last edited:
I was resistant in drilling a hole in my Martin, but finally broke down and did it, got a UkeCrazy strap...i can play more confidently now. Had a thong before and it just wasn't stable enough. I always had trouble with the uke sliding down my belly, even though I have plenty of support there! ;-D

I have always thought the sam thing. But, as I play these days without the strap, it seems the body doesn't move much. In fact the neck hardly moves at all, but if it would hold a bit more still I would find some of my playing easier. (Just a bit though. It doesn't take much.) I plan to get a uke leash and give it a try.
I have several uke leashes and will give you one, friend. Remind me.

I prefer different types of straps for different types of ukuleles. KoAlohas are very lightweight, so you could really use whatever you like. The uke-leash will work well once you learn how to use it properly. For extremely aggressive strumming or percussive work, anything where your right arm actually comes off of the ukulele... I'd use a strap with a button on the body of the ukulele. If I play tunes where I change between many different picking and strumming styles, I must either be seated or have a stap-button type.

I've never trusted the sound hole latch-on ones. IMO the top soundboard is the most valuable piece of wood, and I don't want it supporting weight of any kind, even if the weight is distributed across the 2 corners on the bottom.

My preferred use of a button strap is with one button on the end of the body (must be in the end-block for support) and the other end tied to the headstock, instead of buttoned to the heel. Some ukuleles I feel required to play this way, like my new Cordoba Guilele CE, which is extremely neck heavy....

I'd suggest just drilling holes and installing pins for a proper guitar strap. I've done this (or more accurately, paid to have it done professionally) on my KoAloha Sceptre, Pineapple Sunday, and Tenor. Don't even notice the strap attachment points when I'm not using a strap, but it's tremendously useful for when you do want to use a strap. Plus, then you get access to a wide variety of guitar strap designs.

I've drilled and added strap buttons to everyone of my ukes, no concerns what-so-ever.

I'd like or see where the holes were.placed on the sceptre....

I'd suggest just drilling holes and installing pins for a proper guitar strap. I've done this (or more accurately, paid to have it done professionally) on my KoAloha Sceptre, Pineapple Sunday, and Tenor. Don't even notice the strap attachment points when I'm not using a strap, but it's tremendously useful for when you do want to use a strap. Plus, then you get access to a wide variety of guitar strap designs.

A couple of days ago I saw the PBS special on Jake S. and I was trying to figure out his strap. It appeared to be a "thong" type BUT I did not see any part of the strap wrap around under the instrument and into the sound hole?? (unless it was really fine, or transparent AND I couldn't see it). Anybody have an idea as to what he's using?

A couple of days ago I saw the PBS special on Jake S. and I was trying to figure out his strap. It appeared to be a "thong" type BUT I did not see any part of the strap wrap around under the instrument and into the sound hole?? (unless it was really fine, or transparent AND I couldn't see it). Anybody have an idea as to what he's using?

I think his strap adheres to the back of his ukulele with a piece of velcro or something similar.

I like that my koaloha concert is light enough to play standing without a strap 99% of the time. for that other 1% I use a mobius strap, even though I have a pickup/button that could be used.

Thanks for all the help! I am thinking I may have an endpin installed. The Ukethong makes me nervous because the KoAloha top is so thin. Thanks again-Ray

Thanks for all the help! I am thinking I may have an endpin installed. The Ukethong makes me nervous because the KoAloha top is so thin. Thanks again-Ray

That is, in my opinion, the only way to go and, even if you tried other things first, you would end up with an endpin, RLM3121. Sometimes it's good to just jump to the logical end. Best to you. (Many--me, Mr. Two Thumbs included--install their own end pins. Easy-peasy, but a luthier would be glad to do it for you).

That is, in my opinion, the only way to go and, even if you tried other things first, you would end up with an endpin, RLM3121. Sometimes it's good to just jump to the logical end. Best to you. (Many--me, Mr. Two Thumbs included--install their own end pins. Easy-peasy, but a luthier would be glad to do it for you).

Comes down to personal taste I suppose but I have tried Uke Leash and Mobius strip, both have their merits but not-quite-there for me. Just ordered a KoAloha Tenor and have requested strap buttons added at end block and heel.

Top Bottom