questions about Kamaka elementary school ukes

fretie

Reaction score
I'm curious about the ukuleles that Kamaka supplied to elementary school programs for the 'mandatory' uke classes that they had for the kids. Were those Kamaka ukes more 'basic' than a regular Kamaka uke? One would think that Kamaka would have had to keep the cost down to make a class set of ukes affordable for a school.

Has anyone got experience playing those school ukes? Do/did they still have the classic Kamaka sound or were they a little different due to a, potentially, lesser quality?

Can't speak to vintage models, but I had an early 2000s one that was from a private school on Oahu. It was exactly the same as the standard Kamaka HF-1 seen here - no sound or quality issues whatsoever, and it even came with a factory installed pickup.

Can't speak to vintage models, but I had an early 2000s one that was from a private school on Oahu. It was exactly the same as the standard Kamaka HF-1 seen here - no sound or quality issues whatsoever, and it even came with a factory installed pickup.

That's impressive!

In 1967, while in kindergarten, we were "subjected" to the ukulele as part of the standard public school curriculum in Gus Webling elementary school in Aiea, HI. My mom, a substitute teacher, purchased one for our own home use. I remember the black strings and the soft "hard shell" case lined in "kahili" yellow. I am not sure if it was a koa ukulele, as I am now told by a close friend that back then, Kamaka made their ukuleles for mass-school use in mahogany, and made in Japan! Fond memories, though. I lost track of that uke, as it was loaned to my brother-in-law by my sister, and upon their divorce, I never saw it again...

In 1967, while in kindergarten, we were "subjected" to the ukulele as part of the standard public school curriculum in Gus Webling elementary school in Aiea, HI. My mom, a substitute teacher, purchased one for our own home use. I remember the black strings and the soft "hard shell" case lined in "kahili" yellow. I am not sure if it was a koa ukulele, as I am now told by a close friend that back then, Kamaka made their ukuleles for mass-school use in mahogany, and made in Japan! Fond memories, though. I lost track of that uke, as it was loaned to my brother-in-law by my sister, and upon their divorce, I never saw it again...

That 'hog uke might have been a Keiki. From Kamaka's site:

From 1963 to 1970, to compete against unscrupulous ukulele manufacturers who tried to sell fake "Kamaka" ukuleles in Japan, Kamaka & Sons Enterprises collaborated with Tokyo Stringed Manufacturing Co., Ltd. to produce ukuleles for sale in Japan. Called "Keiki Kamaka," the ukuleles were made of mahogany, and were only available in the standard (soprano) size. "Keiki" means "child" in Hawaiian, a fitting name for the lowest-priced, beginner's model.

Top Bottom