Uke too small?

flyboy

Reaction score
Hi! I'm a complete beginner. I've watched a few videos on how to hold the ukulele, and I just can't keep it from sliding down if I hold it with just my right arm.

I'm wondering if my arm is too big for this (soprano) uke. If I rest it vertically with my forearm alongside it, my fingertips reach the higher pegs.

Or maybe that's just normal and there's a way to keep it squeezed against my upper forearm to prevent it from falling without the left hand?

Thanks!

Also have to watch out for some of the slippery synthetic or partially synthetic fabrics. I have a few long sleeve cool-dri type long sleeve shirts that make it very difficult to hold my uke without some slippage, especially the ones with gloss finish.

Non-slip shelf liner stuck to the back with 3m trim adhesive works great. The only uke I've had that damage the finish on was a Kiwaya. My other ukes including my KoAloha ukes has been fine with it.

John

Non-slip shelf liner stuck to the back with 3m trim adhesive works great. The only uke I've had that damage the finish on was a Kiwaya. My other ukes including my KoAloha ukes has been fine with it.

John

Thanks John, gonna try that with my new soprano....I'd feel darn silly putting a strap on it if I don't have to....

Hi! I'm a complete beginner. I've watched a few videos on how to hold the ukulele, and I just can't keep it from sliding down if I hold it with just my right arm.

I'm wondering if my arm is too big for this (soprano) uke. If I rest it vertically with my forearm alongside it, my fingertips reach the higher pegs.

Or maybe that's just normal and there's a way to keep it squeezed against my upper forearm to prevent it from falling without the left hand?

Thanks!

You need a strap, I would say try that first but yeah I prefer the larger ukulele's more comfy to hold IMHO. I find soprano's awkward.

Thanks everyone! It's actually my roommate's uke, so if he wants to strap it, we can go that route. I'll also mention the sticky backing, and failing that, I may purchase a tenor. For now maybe I'll try sitting so my legs cradle it just so...

I'd feel darn silly putting a strap on it if I don't have to
... don't feel silly, feel safe ;)

There's a video (somewhere) of a competent young lady playing her ukulele with just a length of string tied around the "waist" of the instrument, around her neck then down to the machine heads. Not elegant, I grant you, but she doesn't worry about dropping her instrument or cramping her style by trying to keep her elbow tucked in.
Try it and see, it'll take five minutes of your time and just maybe the biggest improvement to your playing style yet !

I'm right handed and play soprano most of the time. I don't have trouble keeping the uke tight to me while standing and playing without a strap, but find that when I sit to play and cross my right leg over my left and let the uke rest on the leg, it frees my left hand up more as it's no longer being used to help balance the uke.

I think it's just a matter of getting use to a new position with a new instrument. I fingerpick with my fingers over the sound hole so my wrist is resting on the edge of the lower bout to hold it in. If I'm strumming, I strum over the 12th fret area. When doing that, the inside of my forearm is about 1/3 of the way from wrist to elbow holding the edge of the uke.

Trial and error, my friend.

Top Bottom