Strings - Should I stay or should I go?

UkeyDave

Reaction score
I bought my Martin S-1 back in August last year so the strings have been on it for nine months.
It stays in tune perfectly. Sounds absolutely fine to me.
I have a new set of strings ready to put on but then I'm thinking to myself "if it aint broke don't fix it".
Do I really need to change strings?
I'd like some feedback from some experienced folk because I'm confused because I know we are supposed to re-string at regular intervals but i'm wondering why if the Uke still sounds great. Well to my ears it does.
Confused.

When I belonged to a classical guitar forum, this question would come up every few months. Most of the time, members would change their strings, even though they were satisfied with their tone. They would then post that the new strings sounded much better, and concluded that their ears had adjusted to the deteriorating strings. This was usually followed by a decision to change strings every month or so, regardless.

Sometimes our ears deceive, well, most times... however, having pontificated regarding our collective hearing inefficiencies, run your fingers under the strings and see if there are fairly significant divots caused by the frets. If so, you might like a new set thrown on. They're cheap anyway, and easy to string. Nine months of playing an hour or two a day vs playing a few hours a week is another factor.

And then again, if it ain't broke... plenty of competent players rarely change, and a few of them change monthly. Who's right? Both. No set interval, btw.

But when you do change, take the string all the way up to the post, no slack, lock and tune up. That'll give you the correct number of winds around the post so you won't be dialing it in for weeks.

Sometimes our ears deceive, well, most times... however, having pontificated regarding our collective hearing inefficiencies, run your fingers under the strings and see if there are fairly significant divots caused by the frets. If so, you might like a new set thrown on. They're cheap anyway, and easy to string. Nine months of playing an hour or two a day vs playing a few hours a week is another factor.

And then again, if it ain't broke... plenty of competent players rarely change, and a few of them change monthly. Who's right? Both. No set interval, btw.

But when you do change, take the string all the way up to the post, no slack, lock and tune up. That'll give you the correct number of winds around the post so you won't be dialing it in for weeks.
Thanks Neal. After taking your advice and running my finger up the back of the strings there ARE INDEED divots in the strings. Excellent suggestion. At least now I have a physical reason to change them. Thank you so much sir.

When I belonged to a classical guitar forum, this question would come up every few months. Most of the time, members would change their strings, even though they were satisfied with their tone. They would then post that the new strings sounded much better, and concluded that their ears had adjusted to the deteriorating strings. This was usually followed by a decision to change strings every month or so, regardless.

Thank you Frank. Those seem like valid points you make there. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Are you changing to the same strings that are already on it? You might be surprised that it sounds brighter!

What kind of strings and how often do you play? If they're fluorocarbons and you only play an hour a day they might still be pretty decent. I'm amazed by how long fc strings last. They are far more stable than the steel strings on my guitars. Nylon on the other hand, I can rarely get more than six to eight weeks out of 'em before they just have to go, and less than that if they're on a uke that's gettin' a lot of love.

Usually the first sign for me that strings are in need of replacing is when intonation up the neck starts to change. It doesn't have to be a drastic change, but when a set that was intonating within one "tick" on the tuner is at two ticks, it's time for them to go!

Oh...and string durability also depends on your technique. Playing with a pick, "mashing" the strings with the fretting hand, and even a hardened fingernail heavily used for strumming will all reduce life span.

John

Your S-1 has sounded great for as long as I can remember, Dave. If tuning isn't an issue, and if your uke is sounding good, there's no need for a change. But if you're curious about new strings, that's enough reason to bid a fond farewell to the current set. Either way, I'll keep looking forward to hearing you and your Martin each Season.

I second the point about string divots and deteriorating intonation. Two very good tips.

Changing the strings on a ukulele requires more work than on a guitar so I tend to avoid doing it. hehe

Petey

Personal opinion: If it sounds good to you, don't bother.

I say replace. I've often thought the same thing, then put a new set on anyways (because of the notches on underside of strings) and each time I'm surprised by my new and improved tone.

Hey Dane! Where you been hiding out, man? It's good to see you back again!

John

Do what ya feel, as the saying goes. No right or wrong answer.

Hey Dane! Where you been hiding out, man? It's good to see you back again!

John

I was in a rut for a long time, I hit a wall of what I was able to achieve on my own and it was, and has been, disheartening. But I'm back at it (buying new instruments has a way of inspiring one), playing a lot of guilele and hoping to take lessons soon. I need to boost my extremely limited knowledge of musical theory.

Good to see yah!

I always say if it still sounds great, great. If it seems off or you're losing that lovin' feelin' change 'em. I bought a new Kanile'a 5 years ago because my Pono just wasn't right. The guy I'd bought the Pono from used said it had "new" strings. It was only 6 months or so later that the Kanile'a arrived and it was awesome and I was pleased. When I decided I should put new strings on the Pono before selling it I was shocked at how good it sounded. It was a gorgeous all solid red koa tenor with really nice grain, but I had promised to sell it so I did, with regrets. I learned to 1. change strings if a uke starts to sound less thrilling than I remember, and 2. sometimes the strings that are on when I get one new to me aren't right for it. The Pono had Aquilas which were the hot new string at the time, but I put on Worth Clears and it sounded as good as the Kanile'a; until I took the Aquilas off the Kanile'a and put on Worth Clears. Then the K had the definite edge.

Top Bottom