Leftys Look

Acoustic Dano

Reaction score
Just curious...How many of you lefties have just flipped the strings, saddle and filed/filled or replaced the nut from a righty? Or purchased a factory lefty outright.

If you flipped it did you notice any adverse effects?

Just wonderin':drool:

Just flipped the strings, never once adjusted anything. I play high G though so that might help.

Just curious...How many of you lefties have just flipped the strings, saddle and filed/filled or replaced the nut from a righty? Or purchased a factory lefty outright.

I never purchased a factory left, nor did it myself. When I bought my (lefty) brother his first ukulele for his birthday I had the store I bought it from change it to left for me. They put on a left handed saddle and nut and changed the strings. Most stores will do lefts for a small fee. (It doesn't matter if it is high or low G.)

The Collings I own was ordered as a southpaw with the side markers and compensated saddle setup accordingly. The two old Gibsons have neither side markers nor compensated saddles....simply flipped over with a minor nut adjustment required. Intonation is fine on both of these with the right string gauges. I just ordered a new Kamaka HP-1D pineapple soprano that is a right handed uke. HMS kindly ordered a lefty compensated saddle so it should be good to go southpaw upon arrival. Aside from saddle compensation I don't think there's a wit of difference.

I've actually met a couple leftys who just flip the ukulele over and play all the chords upside down, I can see that getting confusing but to each their own I guess!

I've actually met a couple leftys who just flip the ukulele over and play all the chords upside down, I can see that getting confusing but to each their own I guess!

I just ordered Lanikai LM-C and am left-handed. I was planning on flipping the strings, but am seriously considering going this route! I'm a uke newb, but have played guitar forever. Also my ex had a little LU11 that I would fiddle with from time to time. So I've already gotten used to playing a lot of the chords upside down...my only fear is that as I get better and more serious, I'll run into some "unforeseen" limitations or inconveniences that I am not thinking of rt now, since I'm not very familiar with the uke yet. Anything that anyone (righty or lefty) could see being an issue down the road?

FYI - the issue with reading chord diagrams/tabs upside down is not a concern (15 yrs of reading guitar tabs/chords upside down teaches you to just flip it in your head I guess lol). Ultimately, I think the main factors will be that technically I'll be strumming wrong AND I already know the C chord would be much easier with the upper 3 strings open...and C is a pretty common chord lol...anyways, any suggestions/experiences would be appreciated!

I just ordered Lanikai LM-C and am left-handed. I was planning on flipping the strings, but am seriously considering going this route! I'm a uke newb, but have played guitar forever. Also my ex had a little LU11 that I would fiddle with from time to time. So I've already gotten used to playing a lot of the chords upside down...my only fear is that as I get better and more serious, I'll run into some "unforeseen" limitations or inconveniences that I am not thinking of rt now, since I'm not very familiar with the uke yet. Anything that anyone (righty or lefty) could see being an issue down the road?

FYI - the issue with reading chord diagrams/tabs upside down is not a concern (15 yrs of reading guitar tabs/chords upside down teaches you to just flip it in your head I guess lol). Ultimately, I think the main factors will be that technically I'll be strumming wrong AND I already know the C chord would be much easier with the upper 3 strings open...and C is a pretty common chord lol...anyways, any suggestions/experiences would be appreciated!

Good point!

I really suggest you just go with flipping the strings, it'll avoid all the possible problems you foresee happening in the future. Besides, it might be work while you're flipping the strings and such but after it's all done you'll be thankful you did it. :)

I'm a lefty, i do everything with my left hand i write with my left hand, throw with my left hand, etc etc
But i learned to play guitar (and than all other stringed instruments after "righty").

I never understood the point of 'lefty' instruments. To me the strong hand should be the one holding the chords
and doing all the fingerings, to me the strumming hand doesn't have to be your 'strong' hand plus you can really
develop your hands to get used to playing I'm living proof of it. I just never understood it, and this is coming
from someone who can't write at all with their right hand.

I agree with Bill on this one, as a lefty who struggled for years to play right and the day i switched it 'just worked', my advice is to try it both ways and play the most natural. Don't force it because there is no 'right way' and it really should be fun, right? I know lefties that play right and lefties that play left, both seem to get along pretty well. One thing is that playing left means that i get to 'set up' my uke just how i like it. This means i have really learned how to fiddle with strings and setup until i am very happy with the action and intonation rather than simply taking the uke as it is set and just playing it.

Top Bottom