PDA

View Full Version : Bitten by the bug (flea)

greenscoe
05-26-2014, 11:36 AM
I've been an avid reader of this forum for some months, so I thought it was time to tell my story and add to the number of UK participants.

In October 2013 I bought a cheap concert uke. I was bitten by the bug and within a few months had another used concert, a cheap Chinese tenor and a factory second Lanakai LMT solid mahogany tenor from Butler music in US.

In February 2014, I made a tenor mold. 2 weeks and 75 hrs work later I had made my first sapele/mahogany tenor from recycled wood. No 2 soon followed made of African Mahogany with a spruce soundboard (tonewoods this time). No 3, all sapele, was finished last week (recycled wood). Iím now able to make one in under 50 hours.

In between times Iíve removed the necks off 3 painted sopranos and given them new soundboards with rosettes and binding. But I think Iím a tenor sort of guy. Iíve made a few quick and easy but useful jigs with the help of this forum and Youtube. Iíve been making kerfing, braces and rosettes and collecting recycled hardwood.

Each uke has a differently constructed neck with a tapered dovetail joint. They all have a deeper than normal box with binding and a simple rosette. All have good volume and sustain.

Tenor no 3 is the first with a scarf joint neck/head and 5 rather than 3 fan struts. Everyone agrees that it sounds the best: its been described by a friend as harp like(?).

Iím now in the middle of no 4 tenor. The box is of tulipwood (American Poplar) which I know is not reckoned to be a tonewood ( its also recycled). It will also have my first 3 piece laminated neck and first slotted head. Its all for fun and self education, so why not?

I canít play very well but I enjoy singing and playing strictly for my own consumption.

40 yrs ago I made 5 classical guitars. I have a little more patience now and find uke making easier than was guitar making back then. But I'm actually still impatient: as soon as I start I'm in a hurry to know how the next one will sound!

If you have read this far then youíll want some photos:

Steveperrywriter
05-26-2014, 02:50 PM
Great story. Couldn't see the pictures, though.

greenscoe
05-26-2014, 09:24 PM
Don't understand that Steve: photo attachments work fine for me. Anyone else unable to see them?

Timbuck
05-26-2014, 09:30 PM
I can't see them either.:)

greenscoe
05-26-2014, 11:33 PM
Ive reattached the photos-can someone tell me if they are now visible on the forum.

Gary Gill
05-26-2014, 11:33 PM
I see them. Very nice work.

greenscoe
05-26-2014, 11:42 PM
Thanks for telling me Gary and thanks for your comments.

Timbuck
05-27-2014, 12:02 AM
Yes!...I see them now ...Great stuff.:cool:

Steveperrywriter
05-27-2014, 02:56 PM
Yep, we have pictures, and nice-looking work ...

peaceweaver3
05-27-2014, 04:15 PM
Thanks for sharing and above all, continue to enjoy! :)