Bruko Tenor - Any Good?

Vagrant

Reaction score
I recently acquired my first 'proper' ukulele, a Bruko flat custom made soprano. I got it cheap from someone having a clear out - the same person has now offered me a Bruko tenor, but I can't find any reviews on them anywhere (loads for the sopranos, and quite a few for the concerts).

Has anyone got any experience with them? The guy I might buy it off said that the Bruko tenors are smaller than standard, with a body size much closer to 'normal' sized concerts, so seeing as I was initially thinking of a mainland concert, and love my Bruko soprano, it sounds great - but I'd like some opinions from others who've tried them before I shell out more money!

I haven't tried a tenor BUT I do have a Bruko Concert and I suspect the observations I have about the Concert would be true for the Tenor. It is, as you would suspect, as beautifully made as the sopranos. It still has a certain distinctive Bruko sound, and it has nice ring with more sustain than the sopranos. However, the action is set too high. I like my action a bit on the high side, but on this one I definitely notice the effort on the higher frets. I'll probably get it lowered at some point.

I've been tempted to get a tenor as I really do love the Brukos. However, I'm almost certain that the action will immediately need lowering. String tension on tenors is higher because of the nature of the instrument anyway so I expect it would be a bit nasty on a Bruko tenor.

There is a pretty wide range in size of tenor bodies. My concert seems pretty normal.

I can cope with a high action - I'm currently making a new nut and saddle for my soprano, so don't mind adjusting. I was just curious at the lack of reviews - seems no-one has one... I might have to give it a go for the price it's offered at!

I think Bruko is much more popular in the soprano and maybe baritone sizes as they are more distinctive there. There is a lot more competition in the tenor size.

I realize, this thread was asking for an immediate advice and is certainly not up-to-date anymore... anyway, for future reference, here my opinion:

As Jim already wrote, Bruekos are much more popular for their soprano and especially their longneck soprano models (soprano body with concert-size neck). At least, that what most people seem to like and have here in Germany (no empirical research done on this, just my personal impression).
But I do own a tenor-size Brueko and have played a couple of others as well. Their standard tenor model is indeed a concert-size body with a tenor neck. On top of that, the neck has only 12 frets, which seems to put off many people.
I think anybody thinking about buying a tenor Brueko should be aware of this to avoid a disappointment.

Brueko offers also a model-size they call "jumbo" (both with a concert neck or a tenor neck). This is closer to the usual tenor size from other builders. However, they hardly ever advertise this on their website. In any case, it is advisable to contact the Brueko guys before ordering something, as they usually have more instruments in stock than they advertise on their website.

But: Personally, I like them very much: Nice to play with plenty of space on the fretboard even for my bass-accustomed fingers. They still have the regular Brueko sound, which is rather harsh and percussive, something quite different from the regular Hawaiian mellow sound that many people expect from a ukulele.

Mine is a flat modell, with cedar top and rosedwood body, the body is about 3 cms flat. And banjo-ukes or resonator ukes aside, this is by far the loudest uke I have ever come across. And by "loud", I don't mean "loud for a ukulele" but LOUD. Jamming with a guitar player? No problem at all. The cedar top and the flat rosewood body provide an incredible sound projection. It is certainly one of my favourite ukes, but not meant for any occasion.

On the other hand, I have played a couple of times the standard Brueko tenor, made of mahogany. It is certainly more concert-ish in sound than a "usual" tenor, with more sustain than a concert. As with the Brueko sound in general, it is something you have to get used to, I believe.

I also used to have a standard tenor-sized model (i.e. with a concert body) with a spruce top and a rosewood body I sold this one again, as it sounded quite thin and somewhat disappointing to my ears. Yet, I didn't experiment with different strings (what I should have done), and since selling it I realized that Aquila strings don't seem to sound well on any Brueko (at least, on any I have heard so far).

But then there are the newer tenor models with an arched back (as to the regular flat back), which seem to be fuller and richer in sound than those with a flat back.
In any case, I would strongly advice to get one of those with an arched back.

Just a feqw thoughts on tenor Bruekos. I hope this helps someone coming to a decision.

Last edited:
I have a Bruko special jumbo body concert scale with rosewood b/s and cedar top. It is a great sounding uke. The action set-up is perfect and the build is perfect. I changed the stock pyrimid strings to worth browns. The worth browns sound really good but the pyrimids that it came with I thought sounded really good.

I have a Bruko Tenor and I like it. I have mine tuned down to EAC#F# which, to my ears, adds a little richness to the tone. It has the distinctive Bruko sound and I have left the pyramid strings they supply on mine - as I have with all my Brukos. I will probably try living waters when the time comes to change them.

Forgot to mention that... the flat tenor cedar/rosewood is stringed with Worth Browns Low-G, too. I like the Browns on Bruekos in general, I have them on a soprano made of flamed maple, as well as on a longneck soprano made of Wenge wood, too (both in high g). Used to have them on a second longneck soprano made of Spanish cedar, but I sold that one.

As for the standard Pyramids Bruekos come with... most people don't seem to like them. But I think they are ok, too.
But I am planning to try some different strings in the near future.

I have 3 Bruekos. 1 longneck soprano in Maple with arched back, and 2 Baritones (GCEA + DGBE) both linear with spuce tops. I like the sound of the soprano (marmite uke) as it is punchy and strung with concert Aquilla. The DGBE Baritone is still strung with standard Brueko Pyramid strings, whereas the GCEA Baritone has a red lowG Aquilla + 3 white ones. Both Baritones have a built in pick up. They all hold their own against an accoustic steel string guitar.

I have 3 Bruekos. 1 longneck soprano in Maple with arched back, and 2 Baritones (GCEA + DGBE) both linear with spruce tops. I like the sound of the soprano (marmite uke) as it is punchy and strung with concert Aquilla.

Is the long neck soprano model having similar fret widths with the normal concerts?

@CHENX2
I do not know the fret width of the concert but measuring the neck near the nut on the long neck soprano it comes to :
at the 1st fret = 35mm
at the 12th fret = 44mm
scale length 380 mm.

I emailed Brueko a week ago after reading the thread asking about their jumbo tenor and no response. Do they answer emails? Perhaps just busy right now??

@M3Ukulele English is not their forte, and I wrote to them in "broken " german which did receive replies.

Top Bottom