Is that a crack on my UKE???

avaya

Reaction score
Hi all, purchased this ukulele used and notice a crack(I think) on the back. There is a dark line which I think is a hairline crack. It feels smooth and i can't feel a crack or bump. I have added a few pics, any advice welcomed. Thanks

Attachments

• IMAG0522.jpg
    IMAG0522.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 128
  • IMAG0520.jpg
    IMAG0520.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 137
  • IMAG0525.jpg
    IMAG0525.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 134
Could be, but it also could be mineral stain or from an insect.

If you can't feel anything, and you don't hear a rattle or buzz when tapping it etc. it's likely to be the latter two instead of a crack.

Okay, I understand we all want our instruments to stay new forever but I have a question. If I have a crack in my ukulele that doesn't buzz, is there any problem? Especially on the back?
I rebuilt pianos for many years. I've encountered and repaired thousands of soundboard cracks. After a few years all soundboards crack. When rebuildng a piano, it would be negligent not to fix them because the piano is disassembled. But, if the soundboard wasn't separated from the ribs (similar to ukulele or guitar braces) that give it its crown (like a radius) and the crack didn't buzz, it was no big deal. In fact it wasn't a problem at all. Theoretically the sound might be diminished by a thousandth of one percent or less, but please.
I hope some luthiers can give us some realistic input.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

I really do not care if there is a crack as longs as it does not get worse and dose not affect sound. However, if I decide to sell it in the future, I need to disclose.

I understand the question and the concept of resale value. But if we really buy ukes already considering resale value, then why buy them? Seems we never get to know them because we're always reaching for something better. Which, btw, is never better because as usual, we never got to know it... But I digress. May your uke be well, live long and prosper!

Top Bottom