Tuning

Ninhydrin

Reaction score
Can I use a guitar tuner to tune my banjolele? I have had new nylon strings and a bridge put on and was told it will need tuned regularly until the strings bed in.

I was looking at the eno tuner which seems popular for guitar users.

If it's chromatic, you can tune anything with it. Just so long as it's clip-on or it has a decent microphone. Alternatively, there are plenty of really good Android and iPhone (spit) tuners.

I bought (yes...BOUGHT!) DaTuner Pro for my Samsung S3 and it's excellent.

Eno tuners are great for ukulele tuning.

Quick fix on the phone app and gonna get an eno, cheers.
Should my banjolele be GCEA ?
Sorry for stupid question I'm very new to this

It depends upon what you want. I have my banjolele tuned gCEA (high G reentrant tuning) but you may want a low G linear tuning.

What size and brand of banjolele do you have?

As for me, neither of the tuners that I have pick up the "A" string very well on my banjolele. I have to pluck the string pretty hard for them to pick it up. It could be because of the thick neck on my instrument (Eddy Finn EF-BU1) that is preventing the thinner string from vibrating enough on the headstock. So I either tune the "C" string with the tuner then tune the rest of the instrument to itself, or I use the tuner in PitchLab on my Android phone or iPad to tune the whole instrument. Either way works fine for me.

It's a 1930s mass produced george formby banjolele, no idea what size but I do have pics in another of my posts

It's a 1930s mass produced george formby banjolele, no idea what size but I do have pics in another of my posts

George Formby used a D F# B tuning (one tone up from standard C-tuning). But c-tuning (gCEA) might be better for you if you are a beginner. Most tutorials, tabs and chord sheets use gCEA tuning.

I have an eno that came with my uke. It works very well, and it has settings for chromatic, guitar, violin, banjo, and ukulele. As I said, it came with my uke when I bought it. I don't have a high dollar uke, and I'm pretty sure that the tuner is the cheapest money can buy. But it works great. I leave it on chromatic when I'm picking notes, just to help me find the right ones. It is a great help with that.

I have an eno that came with my uke. It works very well, and it has settings for chromatic, guitar, violin, banjo, and ukulele. As I said, it came with my uke when I bought it. I don't have a high dollar uke, and I'm pretty sure that the tuner is the cheapest money can buy. But it works great. I leave it on chromatic when I'm picking notes, just to help me find the right ones. It is a great help with that.
Holy gcea, Rllink! I never even thought about using it that way. I've used the soprano recorder to "pick out" melodies I don't know, but I'm not very good with it, & reading treble clef.
Thanks!

Top Bottom