New uke advice

keithy351

Reaction score
g'day guys and gals, im know i know not not much about ukuleles but i dont know what i got is crap, so im looking at getting a good quality uke with a nice crisp, clean loud sound... the problem is around where i live ukuleles are un heard of and there is no where for me to go to try one out so im left to buying of australian ebay, so im looking at this ukulele

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/KALA-HAWAIIA...3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:1|39:1|240:1318

its a kala hawiian koa series concert size, am i on the right track for a good quality ukulele or is there something else out there better, im budget is 300-400 dollars australian.... and i wont be buying another uke for quiet a while... also i like the sound of the concert but i dont know, if i spending the cash and stuff should i maybe go for a tenor size ukulele

For that money you can get something like a Mainland/Bushman/Ohana concert, which is all solid wood. I think the Kalas ukes with solid spruce tops sounded better than the laminated koa ones. And they're cheaper too.

As for size, that's all personal preference. I would suggest a concert over a tenor if it's the only uke you'll buy for a while. The reason is because you can get a better concert sized uke for the same money.

3 letters

kpk

btw, buying an ukulele with australian dollars sucks right now :(

3 letters

kpk

btw, buying an ukulele with australian dollars sucks right now :(

kpk???? plz elaborate, btw i went into a music store i was driving past cause i could see a uke in the window, names zenith music in perth wa...... :eek: they got alot there, even kamaka ukuleles, i went to grab it to test it out and i got "excuse me sir can i help you" and i simply replied" yes i would like to try this ukulele" little to my disapointment they wouldnt let me play it, i had to listen to some amature tool bag..... so i know where i can get my ukulele from, so guys im still in need of help, im buying another concert size ukulele, spending at most $450 australian but if i can get away with something cheaper i would rather it, so im open to preferbly exact ukuleles i should be looking for rather then like brand names, i dont like want laminated crap, my greg benette series which was my first is s**.... and i love the nautural wood grain look

For $450 you can get many concerts. Koa too. Mele has a solid koa concert (made in philipines by hand) for $400. Great buy own three of them. Pono's (made in Java?) can be found for around your price range as well as Honu (made in Vietnam). Lanikai also sales a solid koa uke for around that $400 range. Good luck in your search. Hope my little bit of knowledge helps.

kpk- Koa pili koko or koko pili koa something like that I think.
It is a solid acaicia(spelled?) wood. very similar to koa. Looks stunning.

Last edited:
Just so all of us in the US know there is a conversion rate. $450 Austrailian dollars is just under $300 US dollars (as of this date).

I would say Koa Pili Koko (KPK) are good ukes for the money. I have had limited experience with Mele but hey seem to be well crafted ukes. The Kamaka you found is probably out of your price range but i am sure it is nice. A Mainland uke from the UU store might be nice. I haven't played one but I have heard nothing but good things.

Top Bottom