Low G string for a Martin C1K

CBR

Reaction score
I live in Australia and was interested to hear about the OASIS strings for a Martin. I have a Martin CK1 and I am looking for a low G string for it. I had one of those red ones but it only lasted 6 months. I am very keen on finding a good string for it, as I like to play jazzy music. 1. Would someone be able to recommend a good non wound (I assume this is what it should be) low G string for my C1K and perhaps 2.suggest a good supplier in the states that would post it to me. 3.Would OASIS strings also improve my C1K? Although its sound, with the Martin strings, is gorgeous and loud as it is, I wonder about that potential 'IMO' or is that only for the C2K? 4.What is IMO? My Martin C1K is my third uke and I feel I have the best, except for a higher level one of course! Also please, 5. how do you find the Martin sopranos? 6.Which is the better one?
Thanks,
CBR
PS I am new and posted this elsewhere, perhaps not in the right place, so have copied it and reposted here!

I personally found the Oasis strings sound fine, but the tension is much higher than the florocarbons made for concert scale. I didn't like that.

I use a wound string for concert scale low G. It's a D'Addario NYL026W. It sounds very good with florocarbon strings like your Martins, and you can get it practically anywhere. Non-wound low G's usually sound odd on a concert scale.

If your heart is set on a non-wound low G, take a look at Booli's thread here: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...-regarding-unwound-low-G-(Fremont-Blacklines)

You might PM Booli, too. He's really into strings.

Martin strings for Martin ukes! Except they don't have a low G set. My experience with Oasis strings has not been the best, loud but not sweet. But that could just be me. 6 Months for a string is pretty good life. People on the forum seem to have a good opinion of the PhD low G sets. They are a specific fluorocarbon formulation. Those are available by mail. Sending them to Australia shouldn't be too big a problem.

I pulled out my wife's C1k with Oasis strings. I had enough energy left for one take: http://youtu.be/5HL9q_mxqYk
Unlike some of my recordings, this one is very accurate. I used an iPad to record the video.

P.S. I adjust string height on all of my ukes and guitars for ultimate playability. The Oasis strings on the Martin require very little effort to play. In fact, the only reason I ever bought a concert was to give my hands a break, and have used Oasis strings on all of them.

Last edited:
Thank you Steve. Very informative and helpful.

Thanks Pere
Good info, for deciding what to do!

Wonderful Frank! Good news for my hands too which get a little bit sore. Appreciated the video too. Thank you!

Quick question? Have you got a low G on the Concert?

Last edited:
Wonderful Frank! Good news for my hands too which get a little bit sore. Appreciated the video too. Thank you!

Quick question? Have you got a low G on the Concert?

That's the high G Oasis set. I've never had a low G string.

I live in Australia and was interested to hear about the OASIS strings for a Martin. I have a Martin CK1 and I am looking for a low G string for it. I had one of those red ones but it only lasted 6 months. I am very keen on finding a good string for it, as I like to play jazzy music. 1. Would someone be able to recommend a good non wound (I assume this is what it should be) low G string for my C1K and perhaps 2.suggest a good supplier in the states that would post it to me. 3.Would OASIS strings also improve my C1K? Although its sound, with the Martin strings, is gorgeous and loud as it is, I wonder about that potential 'IMO' or is that only for the C2K? 4.What is IMO? My Martin C1K is my third uke and I feel I have the best, except for a higher level one of course! Also please, 5. how do you find the Martin sopranos? 6.Which is the better one?
Thanks,
CBR
PS I am new and posted this elsewhere, perhaps not in the right place, so have copied it and reposted here!
PHD are nice strings no doubt "Strings by Mail' in the states carries them. I also find Worth strings are nice as well. Aquila reds will snap if not careful and no sharp edges on saddle, nut etc.

Top Bottom