Build a Risa Stick?

joeguam

Reaction score
I'm more than halfway through my first tenor build and got the idea to build a Risa Stick. It seems pretty straight forward and an undersaddle pickup can be used in a wood bridge instead.

Any thoughts?

risa-solid-tenor-ukulele_zps286d095e.jpg

It's been done, and with success. I forgot who, but someone on UU did it, early 2013 or late 2012, with photos and a video sound sample.

So, yep, it can be done.

Great! Let me search the forum for that thread.

Dan, that is awesome!
Any reason why you chose those tuners? Do they get in the way of your strumming?

I used that style of tuner because I wanted gears, but I didn't want to use banjo style planetery tuners. They don't get the way at all because I play around the 12th fret.

I'm now working on one with a built-in headphone amp powered by a 9 volt battery. :)

JG, I just remembered. I think it was a UU member named Daniel Hulbert. See if that helps refine your search. Yeah, I'm pretty sure (but not 100%) that was the fellow.

Looks like Dan beat you to the punch!

Very nice work, Dan, and a nice idea to build in the headphone amp. I used to use a Vox Amplug, but that was a little annoying hanging off the bottom of the Risa.

-Steve

To keep the tuners out of the way on my version I pointed the knobs back into my body. Those planetary tuners are priced out of my comfort zone for fun builds like these things. I also routed down the central area leaving a 3mm thick soundboard, which gives at least some unamplified volume. I may use the heatshrunk pet bottle trick on my next one. I must admit I find playing without a headstock weird as I tend to rest the headstock on my knuckle when I play and I nearly drop the stick every time I play without one.

Edit: Forgot to mention the stroh copy resonator cones on similar looking things over on cigar box nation. That place is a bit disorganised so you may have to browse for a while before you see a good one.

Last edited:
To keep the tuners out of the way on my version I pointed the knobs back into my body. Those planetary tuners are priced out of my comfort zone for fun builds like these things. I also routed down the central area leaving a 3mm thick soundboard, which gives at least some unamplified volume. I may use the heatshrunk pet bottle trick on my next one. I must admit I find playing without a headstock weird as I tend to rest the headstock on my knuckle when I play and I nearly drop the stick every time I play without one.

Edit: Forgot to mention the stroh copy resonator cones on similar looking things over on cigar box nation. That place is a bit disorganised so you may have to browse for a while before you see a good one.

Could you share a picture of your model? I'm really curious and have some difficulty making out the visual of what you describe.
Thanks.

Top Bottom