Uke Maker caught in a lie

southpawmark

Reaction score
Ok, I figured this is worth sharing with you all for giggles. I won't mention names because I'm not out to destroy the reputation of a Uke maker but this issue ticked me off.

I ordered my second Uke recently. I'm a nice Uke but I know my next one will be either a Pono, KoAloha or Kamaka Uke. Anyway, here's the issue. I paid for the Uke and added a special request that was written in the comments section of the order. What I wrote under special instructions was simple. "Please do a lefty-handed setup on this Ukulele for me". One week passed and I had no email from them so I sent a specific email asking for my Ukulele to be setup for a lefty-handed player and I requested any information about shipping my instrument and/or when it would be ready. No response. Three weeks later I sent another email asking if they were having a problem with my emails. No response. I used the option to contact them from their website and I finally get a response. This is what I asked them. "I have contacted you twice regarding the setup of my instrument and received no response. Did you get my previous emails"? Their response to me, and I quote "Dear Mr. Gailmor, we apologize for any inconvenience you have had in contacting us. We didn't receive any email from asking for a left-handed setup. However, if you know how to restring a guitar then restringing a Ukulele should be easy." Did you notice their response? I never said anything about left-handed setup when I contacted them through their website. They had two options: email or website contact. Now, the final message I sent was simply asking them if they had received any of my messages. I never mentioned left-handed. How would they know this unless they had received my messages and ignored them? My suspicion is this. Someone saw all of my messages and ignored them. They also ignored the special instructions on my original order when I specifically asked for a left-handed setup. I think they were embarrassed in the end and tried to backpedal out of a sticky situation. I suspect they knew that I was on to them and realized that they were lying. I would have had more respect for them if they had been honest with me. Best part? This is the second time this has happened to me. Next time I'm ordering a Pono, KoAloha, or Kamaka Ukulele. I know those Uke makers will not ignore my requests.

Anyway, just wanted to share this. I find it funny that this has happened to me 2x's with two different vendors. See what we southpaws have to go through? lol

Unfortunately lying has become a normal business practice all over the place. I recently had an issue with a major seller that promised a set up and did not provide and that was only the beginning of the BS that I saw.

Today I experienced another issue with a ordered Kala. I was sent the wrong model and they tried to blame it on Amazon when I could easily verify, and did for them that the problem happened in their warehouse. They finally admitted that they had not done what they promised and they were at fault. What a crappy attitude to have. Lie until you are caught then pretend to be sorry. I'm sending it back and will not allow them another shot anytime soon.

The problem is that if you cut out all these vendors for doing less than right you are left with maybe one or two places to buy if you are lucky. Dishonesty is the norm from my experience.

Everyone makes mistakes. The best policy is to own it 100% in the beginning and then make it right with the customer. What I hate is knowing I'm being lied to and then being expected to go along with it like a good guy and not make waves. Not happening in my world.

This couldn't be one of the "go to uke dealers" we all use here on UU. That's horrible customer service, making up a lie to get out of another lie.

Next time I'm ordering a Pono, KoAloha, or Kamaka Ukulele. I know those Uke makers will not ignore my requests.

So this was a uke maker that screwed up your request, or a uke retailer?

Ok, I figured this is worth sharing with you all for giggles. I won't mention names because I'm not out to destroy the reputation of a Uke maker but this issue ticked me off.

I ordered my second Uke recently. I'm a nice Uke but I know my next one will be either a Pono, KoAloha or Kamaka Uke. Anyway, here's the issue. I paid for the Uke and added a special request that was written in the comments section of the order. What I wrote under special instructions was simple. "Please do a lefty-handed setup on this Ukulele for me". One week passed and I had no email from them so I sent a specific email asking for my Ukulele to be setup for a lefty-handed player and I requested any information about shipping my instrument and/or when it would be ready. No response. Three weeks later I sent another email asking if they were having a problem with my emails. No response. I used the option to contact them from their website and I finally get a response. This is what I asked them. "I have contacted you twice regarding the setup of my instrument and received no response. Did you get my previous emails"? Their response to me, and I quote "Dear Mr. Gailmor, we apologize for any inconvenience you have had in contacting us. We didn't receive any email from asking for a left-handed setup. However, if you know how to restring a guitar then restringing a Ukulele should be easy." Did you notice their response? I never said anything about left-handed setup when I contacted them through their website. They had two options: email or website contact. Now, the final message I sent was simply asking them if they had received any of my messages. I never mentioned left-handed. How would they know this unless they had received my messages and ignored them? My suspicion is this. Someone saw all of my messages and ignored them. They also ignored the special instructions on my original order when I specifically asked for a left-handed setup. I think they were embarrassed in the end and tried to backpedal out of a sticky situation. I suspect they knew that I was on to them and realized that they were lying. I would have had more respect for them if they had been honest with me. Best part? This is the second time this has happened to me. Next time I'm ordering a Pono, KoAloha, or Kamaka Ukulele. I know those Uke makers will not ignore my requests.

Anyway, just wanted to share this. I find it funny that this has happened to me 2x's with two different vendors. See what we southpaws have to go through? lol

Im a lefty but i play 'righty' thats how i learned i still have a hard time understanding the 'lefty' set up how it benefits leftys. to me the strong hand makes sense as hand you chord with i think it takes much more strength of the hands to fret chords etc. anyway thats my 2 cents on that (as a lefty ).

As for this situation i would be very upset if it happened to me they should be professional and apologize for their mistake not try to cover up for it and in the progress make a snide remark. If i were you I would find a new maker to buy from, there are tons with great quality and customer service, like you said kamaka would never do something like that.

Unfortunately lying has become a normal business practice all over the place. I recently had an issue with a major seller that promised a set up and did not provide and that was only the beginning of the BS that I saw.

Today I experienced another issue with a ordered Kala. I was sent the wrong model and they tried to blame it on Amazon when I could easily verify, and did for them that the problem happened in their warehouse. They finally admitted that they had not done what they promised and they were at fault. What a crappy attitude to have. Lie until you are caught then pretend to be sorry. I'm sending it back and will not allow them another shot anytime soon.

The problem is that if you cut out all these vendors for doing less than right you are left with maybe one or two places to buy if you are lucky. Dishonesty is the norm from my experience.

Everyone makes mistakes. The best policy is to own it 100% in the beginning and then make it right with the customer. What I hate is knowing I'm being lied to and then being expected to go along with it like a good guy and not make waves. Not happening in my world.

I know you are referring to elderly and i'm sorry you had a horrible experience. but for me i can only speak for my experience which
was great customer service the shop did exactly what i requested and the shipping department was fast, and the sales team offered
me a discount i think retailers make mistakes it happens. I think its worse if its a maker its their brand its their instruments
they should always make a good image since its their line of instruments their selling representing the instruments it's self and
the team of represents them. I feel like a store like elderly has a 'bad day' or you could get that one staff member who is new
who doesn't know a whole lot etc. But from what i know elderly is a great place to buy from.

Yeah, sounds more like a retailer, than a builder.

if it was a retailer than he should have made the post 'ukulele retailer caught in a lie'
not sure if it was a retailer, again retailers make mistakes people have bad days
not all retailers are flawless. If it was a maker this is bad, very bad for their image
and business.

It was a Uke maker, not a retailer. Yeah, very sad and it leaves me disappointed in customer service because I'm planning on going to luthier school so that I can build awesome guitars. I was raised to believe that if you make a mistake you own up to it. The worst thing one could do is to try to cover up one lie with another because someone always gets caught. Oh, and after all was said and done, the maker sent me an automatic request to provide a review of their customer service. :D

You said it. Stuff happens though and I understand. That's why I didn't mention their name. They're not one of the big Uke Makers but they do have a reputation.

Is this a custom build than?
did you get the side fret dots put on the correct side for a lefty....

Buy a Flea or a Fluke. Tremendous customer service there!

Is this a custom build than?
did you get the side fret dots put on the correct side for a lefty....

That would be a "resounding" no. It wasn't a custom build. I would have been beyond furious if it was. Oh, and If they had actually altered the fretboard then they would have to admit that they read my request to set up my Uke for a lefty.

One more thing. I know one guy commented on the thread and said he's a lefty but plays right-handed. I say to you "more power to you my friend". When I first started on my journey of stringed instruments I listened to everyone that told me to learn the "right way". I tried it this way and was miserable. When I tracked down my first lefty guitar and started to play I felt that someone had switched a light bulb on. For me, my left hand prefers to strum or pick.

One more thing. I know one guy commented on the thread and said he's a lefty but plays right-handed. I say to you "more power to you my friend". When I first started on my journey of stringed instruments I listened to everyone that told me to learn the "right way". I tried it this way and was miserable. When I tracked down my first lefty guitar and started to play I felt that someone had switched a light bulb on. For me, my left hand prefers to strum or pick.

That's funny because I am right handed, and I actually naturally wanted to fret with my right hand. But I chose not to because I knew how difficult it would make it later on with not being able to play others instruments, and I didn't think I was smart enough to pull off the up-side-down style.

Top Bottom