strings for 6-string concert?

tangimango

Reaction score
Would anyone know where to get strings for concert scale 6 string? Do you use a tenor set, or find a particular c and a string octave apart
. Tuned g Cc e Aa

Would anyone know where to get strings for concert scale 6 string? Do you use a tenor set, or find a particular c and a string octave apart
. Tuned g Cc e Aa

If you're wanting a C tuning for a 15" scale, you're in a bit of trouble, since a 6-stringer that size is pretty rare (custom?).

Do you really have to tune to C? With the shorter scale, your first option would be to tune up a bit. With the smaller body, you'll actually get a clearer sound that way. Any of the sets Kanaka mentioned will work in that case. If you need to tune to C for some reason, a standard set will be pretty loose.

If you don't mind a fairly high tension, then a second option would be one of the Heavy Gauge 6-string sets we just released a few days ago. They're really designed for Key of G on a 6-string Baritone. C tuning on a Concert would be a bit tight, so I can't give them an unqualified recommendation.

I'd go with option #1.

Thank you Dirk,
a quick question, do you have a dgbe for concert scale or anything u can reccomend. Thanks

QUOTE=southcoastukes;1531290]If you're wanting a C tuning for a 15" scale, you're in a bit of trouble, since a 6-stringer that size is pretty rare (custom?).

Do you really have to tune to C? With the shorter scale, your first option would be to tune up a bit. With the smaller body, you'll actually get a clearer sound that way. Any of the sets Kanaka mentioned will work in that case. If you need to tune to C for some reason, a standard set will be pretty loose.

If you don't mind a fairly high tension, then a second option would be one of the Heavy Gauge 6-string sets we just released a few days ago. They're really designed for Key of G on a 6-string Baritone. C tuning on a Concert would be a bit tight, so I can't give them an unqualified recommendation.

I'd go with option #1.[/QUOTE]

Thank you Dirk,
a quick question, do you have a dgbe for concert scale or anything u can reccomend. Thanks

Hello again tangi -

If you want the Key of G, it would be in the "one-line octave" - an octave up from Baritone tuning. You could cobble strings from the XLL set (Extra Light Linear) & the LC-NW set (Light Gauge Cuatro - no wound), and end up with: d" . g'g' . b' . e'e". In other words, octave 1st course, but unison 3rd course. To go an octave up on the 3rd would get too thin to be practical.

Still, I'd recommend a standard set. Ours, or someone else's should put you at the old "Ukulele Standard" Key of D : a' . d"d' . f#' . b b'. I've always liked our plain string set as well, and it seems like it could be especially nice on a Concert. There, you'd be in e flat, a tuning you'll find on a lot of old Ukulele sheet music. That tuning would be : b flat' . e flat' e flat" . g' . c'c".

The E flat tuning puts the low note at middle C on your 1st course, the same low note (3rd string) as with a standard Ukulele reentrant C tuning. The other notes are higher, however, so overall, you'll have a brighter sound - fuller as well, however, because of six strings.

Hope that helps -

Last edited:
Top Bottom