NUD Bruko Cherry Wood Soprano

Tootler

Reaction score
Last Autumn, I tried a Bruko No. 6 soprano at a dealer's stall at a Uke Fest. Much as I liked it, I didn't buy it at the time as I went for a Tenor instead (which I am really pleased with). I didn't give up the idea of a Bruko Soprano, though and when I saw they had a cherry wood among their special editions I decided to go for it.

It arrived today and it's a beauty. Cherry wood body, flame Maple neck with Rosewood fingerboard and Cherry Wood overlay on the neck. Rosewood two piece bridge. Arched back. Great tone - I really like the Bruko sound and my three Brukos have a definite family likeness in their tone. Yes, it has the usual Bruko high setup but, on a quick check, intonation is good. Bruko are fitting Pyramid Fluorocarbon strings these days and I like them, they give a tone that I like and they ring out so I won't be changing them. I have tuned it ADF#B. The friction tuners are nice and smooth and I had no trouble getting it in tune.

Piccys attached.

Attachments

• BrukoSopraon01.jpg
    BrukoSopraon01.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 107
  • BrukoSopraon02.jpg
    BrukoSopraon02.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 85
  • BrukoSopraon03.jpg
    BrukoSopraon03.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 84
  • BrukoSopraon05.jpg
    BrukoSopraon05.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 66
That's beautiful, I saw that one on their site and was sorely tempted (I recently got my own first Bruko, and I'm smitten!). I had my eye on a mahogany and cedar longneck they also had, but it was sold today :(

Anyhow, congratulations - does it make a huge difference to the sound it being cherry? I hope it sounds as lovely as it looks!

Lovely uke, Geoff. Congrats!

Congratulations, Geoff. Love the way the body, neck and fretboard woods complement each other---classy. Looking forward to hearing this one soon.

Congratulations, Geoff. Love the way the body, neck and fretboard woods complement each other---classy. Looking forward to hearing this one soon.

You can, Ralf. I've put a video on the Misfit Island.

For those not familiar with my reference above, go to "Ukulele Contests/Seasons of the Ukulele" in the forum and look for the "Island of Misfit Seasonistas" thread

That's beautiful, I saw that one on their site and was sorely tempted (I recently got my own first Bruko, and I'm smitten!). I had my eye on a mahogany and cedar longneck they also had, but it was sold today :(

Anyhow, congratulations - does it make a huge difference to the sound it being cherry? I hope it sounds as lovely as it looks!

Glad you didn't decide to go for it :)

Seriously, what Bruko have you got? I really like them. Solid wood body at reasonable prices, well set up out of the box and great tone. They ring out! :music:

As my relatives in Germany would say, "schön"!

I've got a slimline mahogany one, but with a mahogany neck, two piece saddle and no soundhole ring. It is my 1st 'serious' uke, and I got it cheap second hand - it even came with a case (I posted some pics here: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?96641-My-1st-Proper-Uke!-Bruko-Custom-Soprano )

I'd never heard of Bruko before I got it, but now spend quite a lot of time looking at them on the internet! A few days after I got mine I broke a piece from the nut, and have now added a bone nut and saddle: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?97170-Bruko-Fixed!-New-Bone-Nut-and-Saddle )

I haven't been playing that long, but when I feel like I'm good enough I'm getting a longneck!

when I feel like I'm good enough I'm getting a longneck!
Once you feel like it don't hesitate to get in touch with Brüko directly, they are said to have more ukes available than on their website, esp. when it comes to specialties. And once you're at it you could always order some extras like lowered action, etc. Doesn't cost a fortune...

Once you feel like it don't hesitate to get in touch with Brüko directly, they are said to have more ukes available than on their website, esp. when it comes to specialties. And once you're at it you could always order some extras like lowered action, etc. Doesn't cost a fortune...
Yup, I found that to be the case when I was shopping my baritone - there were two near completion and I was able to add a pickup and strap button for not much extra. I did ask for lowered action as well but didn't get it so just don't even bother with that. ;-)

Top Bottom