playing G A G A very quickly

carpekd

Reaction score
I've got a song that requires you to play G(downstroke) A(up) G(down) A(up).

The chord shapes won't let me change quickly enough. Any suggestions (and yes i do practice, practice, practice)

hold the head up and pivot on a loose wrist. during the exchange slide your index between the 1 and 2 frets of the c string. and last when in the A chord keep your ring finger above the strings ready to hit that 3rd fret/E string. and practice practice practice.

"and yes i do practice, practice, practice"

If you can't change chords quickly enough just because of the chord shapes, then you need more practice. There isnt much when it comes to rushing these things, only time and time put in.

you could change the position of the fingers for G, instead of pointer (2nd string, 2nd fret), ring (3rd string, 3rd fret) and middle (4th string 2nd fret) try switching your pointer and middle fingers. As you can see, going to A you have an easier motion, but if youre already doing it like that then just keep at it.

Another option would be to play the higher A, which is moving G to frets over to the right.

Deach's suggestion seems like the easiest, but if you need the open chords have you tried playing the G as a partial barre? That way to change from A to G you just need to lay your index finger down to add the 1st and 2nd strings and slide up one fret while moving your middle finger (not ring) down to the 2nd string. Going back to A is just a matter of lifting your index finger back up so it's only on the 3rd string while sliding back to the first fret and moving your middle finger back to the 4th string. The nice thing about doing it this way is that the process of laying your index finger down for the barre automatically pulls your middle finger down towards the 2nd string and vice-versa.

Top Bottom