Nuud!

actadh

Reaction score
New Used Ukulele Day!

I am doing a lot of short trips this summer. I am patiently waiting on my Outdoor Ukuleles - and really don't want them to rush production - but I wanted some summertime ukuleles that I could play without worries.

So, eBay to the rescue. I bought 2 vintage ones and one just arrived.

This one is a 1950's Harmony soprano based on this site http://www.catfish1952.com/harmony.html

The seller, God bless her, cleaned it up because as she wrote in a note to me, she thoroughly cleans all items and never sells a smelly, sweaty, dirty item. If she had listed that in her description, I would have told her I like my ukes that way. So, I am still wiping it down with a soft cloth to sop up what was probably furniture polish, but I don"t think any harm was done. (It does look great, though.)

Nice plastic fretboard - which I wanted - and it plays well. I was mostly worried about the tuners as her pics showed 2 taut and two slack strings, but I was able to tighten the tiny tuner screws and all four seem to hold. A little bit of white binding has rubbed off, but can easily be touched up.

Well worth $42, and it will be my office ukulele in the fall.

I want to change the strings. Local music stores have Aquila Nylgut, Aquila Reds, and Martin M600's. I have Nylgut on my good concert and love the sound, but I put Nylgut on my other vintage camp ukulele and they seem high tension and don't sound right. So, M600's or Reds? Any opinions?

Attachments

• 1950's Harmony soprano.jpg
    1950's Harmony soprano.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Harmony sticker.jpg
    Harmony sticker.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 25
That is what I was thinking, peaceweaver3. Isn't it great that it is a pittance, really, to change around the strings and get different sounds. I had a blast with it today with the old pitted strings that came with it.

I will save the Aquila Reds for the Outdoor Uke soprano, which is why I bought them. Latest Facebook update says now starting on the production of tops of the tenor, so I figure at least another month, Icelander53.

Wow, congrats, what a steal! Mine is in the upper right hand corner....it's sweet, but I don't play it....not enough time....

What a pretty little sunburst! it looks like a mini me to the Collings tenor in the marketplace.

Top Bottom