PDA

View Full Version : Some String Confusion/Help

Shastastan
05-30-2014, 05:04 PM
I realize that there are many many string choices. I also realize that there are a lot of individual preferences. Although I've had my ukes for awhile, I have not played them often enough to really develop some callouses on my finger tips. I have Phd's on my tenor and Orcas on my soprano. Those are much easier to press and also seem easier on my fingers than the Aquilas on my concert. I'm wondering if I should change the strings on my concert to something more forgiving. I'm finding that I don't play my concert as often as the ukes with the "softer" strings. I really do love the sound of my concert with it's nice resonance though. Any suggestions? Any "soft" string recommendations? Thanks in advance for any help.

Newportlocal
05-30-2014, 05:09 PM
For "soft" living water strings are great, and they sound good.
http://www.kenmiddleton.co.uk/Pages/LWS.aspx
Hope this helps.:D

mm stan
05-30-2014, 06:10 PM
Great name..Well it depends how your uke sounds now and what is acceptable sound you want.
thinner softer low tension strings offer better playability and comfort but may have a thinner tone ...its a trade off
higher tension clarity more clarity and note separation...
softer strings..
Hilo, GHS, Phd, Worth lights, Living waters, etc... softer low tension Like a salvarez might be what you may want or T2's
Good Luck and nice to hear from you again.... happy Strummings..

kypfer
05-30-2014, 09:38 PM
I'm finding that I don't play my concert as often as the ukes with the "softer" strings. ... Is it possible that the problem isn't the strings, but the action on the concert being a little higher? In a direct comparison between similarly tuned instruments, the concert will have a higher string tension than a soprano with the same strings fitted, thus making it feel "harder" to play. Changing the strings for a "softer-feeling" set could leave you with a quieter instrument, as the string tension may well be lower.

JayMadison
05-31-2014, 01:35 AM
For "soft" living water strings are great, and they sound good.
http://www.kenmiddleton.co.uk/Pages/LWS.aspx
Hope this helps.:D

I've got aquilla on my ukes (excpet whatever came on my fluke). I'm going to try these out I love the name

igorthebarbarian
05-31-2014, 08:06 AM
As an alternative too, consider dropping the tuning by one step or two steps. I found that works well on my Mainland tenor - tuned down to Bb - sounds mellow and easier on the finger tips. I use the same chords and don't worry about transposing.

Shastastan
05-31-2014, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the responses. I'm getting an excellent education from you folks. I do have Living Waters on my Flea. I guarantee that the strings are close to the fretboard. However, I'm not sure how well I like them compared to the PHD's on my tenor or Orcas on my new imua.

I'm going to give the PHD's a try again. Just ordered some. I've already been on the trumpet mouthpiece safari and don't want to do the same thing with strings. Those safaris can take years and the $ add up over time, too. UAS is bad enough.

iamesperambient
05-31-2014, 08:29 PM
I realize that there are many many string choices. I also realize that there are a lot of individual preferences. Although I've had my ukes for awhile, I have not played them often enough to really develop some callouses on my finger tips. I have Phd's on my tenor and Orcas on my soprano. Those are much easier to press and also seem easier on my fingers than the Aquilas on my concert. I'm wondering if I should change the strings on my concert to something more forgiving. I'm finding that I don't play my concert as often as the ukes with the "softer" strings. I really do love the sound of my concert with it's nice resonance though. Any suggestions? Any "soft" string recommendations? Thanks in advance for any help.

I've always worn by Ko'olau Gold Strings for my ukes until last year
than i found aquilla nylgut and red series, and now im finding
there is more out there for me, now that i'm mostly playing baritone ukulele
i have been on the search for the perfect strings.

I'm trying out living water strings soon i placed an order, and im trying out
worth (those should be here this week). I have a feeling living water is going to be
my favorite string ever and i have a feeling i won't be buying any other brand,
and i have a feeling worth will come in second place. Aquila is nice, but and i always
liked them but i never found the nylgut strings to sound that great i always thought
they had a 'dead' sound to them, i thought the red series sounded much more alive
and bright, but slightly to metalish, so im on the search from what i heard about living
water, and from all of ken's videos playing his strings, I think i'm pretty damn sure
living water is the best string out there ( i cant say for sure yet as i haven't
used them but everything points to that direction.).

I would say order a few different types and mess with them
and see what works for you. There are my brands out there
it can't hurt to try them, you can turn a 30-50 piece of crap
ukulele into sounding like a 100-200 dollar ukulele simply but
putting on a good set of strings.

iamesperambient
05-31-2014, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the responses. I'm getting an excellent education from you folks. I do have Living Waters on my Flea. I guarantee that the strings are close to the fretboard. However, I'm not sure how well I like them compared to the PHD's on my tenor or Orcas on my new imua.

I'm going to give the PHD's a try again. Just ordered some. I've already been on the trumpet mouthpiece safari and don't want to do the same thing with strings. Those safaris can take years and the $ add up over time, too. UAS is bad enough.

btw i see you have the les paul concert, i changed the stock black nylon crap strings out for aquila red series concert strings
and over all it sounds very very loud and bright (has a slight resonator metalllic sound but over all a HUGE improvement).
And the reds are not very soft they actually have a coating on the strings (copper i believe) and i found my fingers don't
slip as much with them either. over all 9.9/10 for those strings.
I sold my les paul a few months ago when i was short on rent kind of regretting it i didnt like it amped up but acoustically with aquilla reds it was a nice acoustic concert uke.

mm stan
05-31-2014, 09:01 PM
Psst ...between you and me, go with soft medium southcoast strings

JayMadison
06-01-2014, 01:29 AM
Great name..Well it depends how your uke sounds now and what is acceptable sound you want.
thinner softer low tension strings offer better playability and comfort but may have a thinner tone ...its a trade off
higher tension clarity more clarity and note separation...
softer strings..
Hilo, GHS, Phd, Worth lights, Living waters, etc... softer low tension Like a salvarez might be what you may want or T2's
Good Luck and nice to hear from you again.... happy Strummings..

Any thoughts on higher tension strings? The aquellia's seem to play really well, and I like the D'Addario Nytech my fluke came with.

mm stan
06-01-2014, 05:15 AM
Any thoughts on higher tension strings? The aquellia's seem to play really well, and I like the D'Addario Nytech my fluke came with.

Aloha Jay,
I do actually have aquila on my fluke for a couple years now..must say something there... its loud and I drop tune it a half step for more sweetness
the tension is good for me too got great response and a punchy tone...

DownUpDave
06-01-2014, 07:30 AM

If you want a higher tension string give the Oasis florocarbon strings a try. Great sound, not super high tension (higher than Aquilas) and come in warm or bright tone. Comes in one size only which can be used on soprano, concert and tenor. Length is double long which is long enough for two instruments.

OldePhart
06-01-2014, 08:47 AM
I've never considered Aquilas particularly hard strings. I second the notion someone mentioned that the action might be a bit high.

John