Low G finger style book suggestions?

billten

Reaction score
I got some sample bronze phosphor low G from GHS to play with (really love them!) and realized other than some tabs i downloaded off the net i have no real nice low g fingerstyle or chord melody music. I ordered "Polani (Pure): Fingerstyle Ukulele" by Daniel Ho from Amazon as i heard that was low G but wondered if there were any other recommendations here?

So suggestions please for fingerstyle or chord melody song or method books that use low G?

Thanks... Bill

Oh BTW, i did search the forum and either i'm really bad with keywords or this topic is hard to find.

I'm sure there have been other threads on this, but the search function doesn't really work on simple 3-letter words like "low". :p

Roger Ruthen's site has a lot of low G tabs. Mostly classical and folk/traditional.

http://pdfminstrel.wordpress.com/

And if you like Renaissance, Michael Parmenter's site is the best. (NOTE: His PDFs are tab only, but he includes the .tef files. With the free TablEdit viewer, you can print with standard notation as well.)

http://ukeclassicaltabs.blogspot.com/

Baritone tabs will also work on low-GCEA ukes. It won't be in the same key, but if you're just solo fingerpicking, it doesn't really matter.

A recent one is Jazz Chord Solos for Tenor Ukulele - the title is a bit misleading as the arrangements can be played on any size low G ukulele, not specifically tenor. There was a recent thread here but not a lot of responses, which makes me think there aren't many books for low G out there.

I've actually seen quite a few from Japanese publishers - if you have a Japanese bookstore nearby, you might want to ask if they have any ukulele books or can order them for you.

http://liveukulele.com/tabs/

Some of these, from brother Brad, hippieguy on UU, are specified as low G (which Brad plays exclusively, methinks). You can noodle around on them (like Stairway to Heaven) while you wait for the books you order. Note: Brad's Youtube channel has many low G toots.

My two bobs worth is don't get hung up on feeling that you need Low G specific tabs. It sounds different but works just fine. I predominantly fingerpick low G (bass string) tenors and I play and workout patterns. I have read tabs in the past but currently don't feel the need to.

Anthony

My two bobs worth is don't get hung up on feeling that you need Low G specific tabs. It sounds different but works just fine. I predominantly fingerpick low G (bass string) tenors and I play and workout patterns. I have read tabs in the past but currently don't feel the need to.

Anthony

Really? The few I've tried did not sound right at all.

I did try a few regular tabs and while some of them sounded ok, a lot were very jarring. I'd be playing along and suddenly there would be a note on that low G string that just was out of place. I'm sure what i should have done is fixed it in my head or on the fly but i'm way off that point at the moment i'm afraid.

Anthony

Really? The few I've tried did not sound right at all.

I did try a few regular tabs and while some of them sounded ok, a lot were very jarring. I'd be playing along and suddenly there would be a note on that low G string that just was out of place. I'm sure what i should have done is fixed it in my head or on the fly but i'm way off that point at the moment i'm afraid.

I agree completely - playing arrangements that were designed for a reentrant uke on a low G uke rarely sounds right to me if played as written. As I've learned more, I've been able to choose different inversions to make them sound better, but it's taken a few years to get to this point. Of course that's part of the fun :)

Top Bottom