koa concert

You can't go wrong with either a Kamaka or a Koaloha.

yeah. i love the kamaka product,, just wondering if the koaloha is too bright. i really like the woody deeper midrange on the kamaka.

yeah. i love the kamaka product,, just wondering if the koaloha is too bright. i really like the woody deeper midrange on the kamaka.

My preference for Kamaka, for the same reason - I like the deeper midrange. But try both if you can, and even better, find a shop that will let you try different strings on them (doesn't hurt to ask!) as the stock Kamaka strings really don't do the uke any favors.

in my short ukulele career, i've learned to hear the underlying tones in instruments with inappropriately (to me) bright and harsh strings. it's not an exact science. i'm aware of their stock string issues.

From my avatar you can see were I am coming from. KoAloha's are a great ukulele and it really stands out when I am fingerpicking. I was playing my travel uke which I am taking to a camp, and it is not even in the same country as the KoAloha. The KoAloha has great note seperation and has a bell like tone though it is not too bright for me. I really like this bell like quality, because I get the "woody" tone from my main instrument the guitar. My friend has a Kamaka and it is a beautiful uke. If you can find a store that has them that would be the best thing to do even if they are different sizes, because each will have that KoAloha or Kamaka tone.

From my avatar you can see were I am coming from. KoAloha's are a great ukulele and it really stands out when I am fingerpicking. I was playing my travel uke which I am taking to a camp, and it is not even in the same country as the KoAloha. The KoAloha has great note seperation and has a bell like tone though it is not too bright for me. I really like this bell like quality, because I get the "woody" tone from my main instrument the guitar. My friend has a Kamaka and it is a beautiful uke. If you can find a store that has them that would be the best thing to do even if they are different sizes, because each will have that KoAloha or Kamaka tone.

Love my KoAloha !:agree:

Have you played both? I don't hear a woody deeper midrange on the Kamaka. They're different, but your description isn't what I hear.

I recommend playing them again. If you like the Kamaka better, (whatever the difference) that's the better choice.

I don't hear a woody deeper midrange on the Kamaka.

I've played many examples of both, and I *think* I get where the OP is coming from. I am absolutely terrible at describing sound characteristics, so bear with me here.... but to me Koalohas have a very pure bell-like tone (which I like!) that I have always called "sparkling" sounding; Kamakas can have this with the right strings (I like Martin fluoros) but they additionally have something I've always called "depth" and "darker" tones.

In an ideal world, I'd probably own one of each. The main reasons I prefer Kamaka: this "darker' sound quality, along with the fact that I prefer the feel of the Kamaka fretboard and - okay, this is really superficial - I don't like the Koaloha headstock.

Any love around here for the warm mellow sound of Kanile'a Concert ukes? :anyone:

I own both a Kamaka and a Koaloha concert. I easily play the Kamaka twice as much. I prefer it for the reasons janeray notes. I think she articulated the differences well. I also like the Kamaka because it reminds me of my buddy, Stan. This debate over the relative merits of the K brands comes up frequently here. I think I said in an earlier version that the Koaloha has the bright, ringing sound people have come to identify as contemporary Hawaiian. The Kamaka is more traditional, and I think, more versatile in terms of tone...and it's easier to play. But, they are both excellent ukuleles.

Any love around here for the warm mellow sound of Kanile'a Concert ukes? :anyone:

an important point because there's nuttin' wrong with that brand and well within my sound concept.

insofar as passing on koaloha's sterling bell/chime high overtones. if i were telling someone i loved them, it would not be in that tone. it would be either deep or mid range. i play the trumpet like chet baker although there is plenty of bright equipment out there and most go the other way. the trumpet is more less designed for bright fanfare. not everybody blows sweet jazz nor should they. we all express different musical ideas for our different purposes and reasons. i am a simple hearted lover boy all the way. i don't know how much of this stuff is in the pure sense musical. when i hear or play an instrument i focus on my emotional response.

Last edited:
Top Bottom