PDA

View Full Version : tofulele what the bloody hell is this?

iamesperambient
05-31-2014, 08:35 PM
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/names/tofukulele-soprano-uke--TSU1-019.htm

ok i dont understand how a lego uke would sound good this is pure novelty.

iamesperambient
05-31-2014, 08:38 PM
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/names/tofukulele-soprano-uke--TSU1-019.htm

ok i dont understand how a lego uke would sound good this is pure novelty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_-9eFpBG8M

sounds better than i thought but id be afraid the legos would blow up
and break when im playing it.

The Big Kahuna
05-31-2014, 08:58 PM
The design & construction are registered, with Patent Pending

Yeah, right. Good luck with that.

RAB11
05-31-2014, 09:40 PM
I want one.

iamesperambient
05-31-2014, 10:30 PM
Yeah, right. Good luck with that.

can you even patent something that is another brand
they kind of can't use Lego brand make something
and patent it wouldn't they have to pay Lego too
at least I would think. for over 200 bucks
is rather get a decent wood uke than this. or even
am out door uke tenor for plastic still better
than this sound wise.

The Big Kahuna
05-31-2014, 11:08 PM
I want one.

Here you go (https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/1925427230076661460?q=lego&rlz=1C1ASUC_enGB575GB575&espv=2&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.67720277,d.ZWU,pv.xjs.s.en_US.u4s5c7_Kv3Q.O&ion=1&biw=1649&bih=921&tch=1&ech=1&psi=b-2KU6TfAcLwPInpgLgH.1401613679247.5&ei=c-2KU4WfHIW1O6LMgfgL&ved=0CIABEKYrMAA)

CeeJay
06-01-2014, 12:25 AM
Here you go (https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/1925427230076661460?q=lego&rlz=1C1ASUC_enGB575GB575&espv=2&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.67720277,d.ZWU,pv.xjs.s.en_US.u4s5c7_Kv3Q.O&ion=1&biw=1649&bih=921&tch=1&ech=1&psi=b-2KU6TfAcLwPInpgLgH.1401613679247.5&ei=c-2KU4WfHIW1O6LMgfgL&ved=0CIABEKYrMAA)

:biglaugh:Sorry Rab11 you rolled out the red carpet for that one mate:biglaugh:.........

What next ? A silent Uke made from Meccano ?.......and why Tofu ?....I mean Legolele I can understand ....but coagulated soya bean curd- (if the writing on the

box in my fridge is accurate ....and which is why that particular box is staying closed !!) -kelele ?

I do not understand the connection with little interlocking bricks.......mind you I do think Lego is ace so back to Big Kahuna's post and order me some..........

The Big Kahuna
06-01-2014, 12:54 AM
Tofuku-lele

With all the pointy bits, the first half of the name describes what it's designed to do to your hands.

Jim Hanks
06-01-2014, 02:31 AM
Ok, I have to admit that would make a super cool wall hanging. And the fact that it does play is pretty impressive, but I'm with Justin on not understanding the price point. Truly for the UAS-sufferer who has literally *everything* else!

bborzell
06-01-2014, 03:06 AM
I was under the impression that you couldn't patent stupid; guess I was wrong.

iamesperambient
06-01-2014, 07:07 AM
:biglaugh:Sorry Rab11 you rolled out the red carpet for that one mate:biglaugh:.........

What next ? A silent Uke made from Meccano ?.......and why Tofu ?....I mean Legolele I can understand ....but coagulated soya bean curd- (if the writing on the

box in my fridge is accurate ....and which is why that particular box is staying closed !!) -kelele ?

I do not understand the connection with little interlocking bricks.......mind you I do think Lego is ace so back to Big Kahuna's post and order me some..........

i dont get the tofu name also tofu is the main thing i eat as a vegetarian but still not sure how this has anhything to do with tofu.

river_driver
06-01-2014, 07:20 AM
My son has 47 billion Legos. Building one of these is going to be a summer father-son project.

Ukejenny
06-01-2014, 07:23 AM
Something good for hanging, but I'm not interested in a fretless ukulele made of anything for playing.

OldePhart
06-01-2014, 08:50 AM
I was under the impression that you couldn't patent stupid; guess I was wrong.

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner for post of the week! :rofl:

John

Newportlocal
06-01-2014, 09:08 AM
As a lego fan. That is super fun.

Ted4
06-01-2014, 09:30 AM
Fretless...no use to me then.

iamesperambient
06-01-2014, 11:08 AM
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner for post of the week! :rofl:

John

I agree it's pretty friggin stupid
and the price is nuts for what it is.
and the name has nothing
to do with the concept dreadful sorry.

RAB11
06-01-2014, 10:08 PM
I'm seriously considering Big Kahuna's suggestion of buying a shitload of Lego and trying to build one.

If it doesn't work, I have a kid on the way, it can be put aside for when he/she is old enough.....

dickadcock
06-02-2014, 01:27 AM
The name? I think the first "u" is a short vowel. This makes a very descriptive - perhaps accurate - name.

iamesperambient
06-02-2014, 08:18 AM
The name? I think the first "u" is a short vowel. This makes a very descriptive - perhaps accurate - name.

vowels, schmowels what does tofu have anything to do with a ukulele and or legos NOTHING, end result not a good name not relevant to the product.

iamesperambient
06-02-2014, 08:20 AM
There are mini lego figures of the band Queen, they would probably plug onto the tofu so you could be playing "we are the champions" and have a little diorama of a Queen concert stuck on the front. Very cheesy, just like tofu.

tofu isn't cheesey its made from bean curd.
And if you don't eat me like my self, someone who used to get depressed
and have panic attacks from the guilt of eating meat because he loves animals so much
and stopped eating meat. Well you may find tofurkey, chinese food/thai food etc with
tofu instead of meat, veggie burgers etc are your best friend. Some of us actually have a
conscience and don't support the murder of animals.

I just don't see how it relates to a lego ukulele.

BigMamaJ40
06-02-2014, 02:59 PM
Geez, lighten up, guys! Who would have guessed ukulele players had no sense of whimsy? If you really need to know the source of the name, just post your question on the man's video.

Katz-in-Boots
06-02-2014, 03:02 PM
There are mini lego figures of the band Queen, they would probably plug onto the tofu so you could be playing "we are the champions" and have a little diorama of a Queen concert stuck on the front. Very cheesy, just like tofu.

Oh Yeah! Endlessly customizable. Lego have Bob the Builder, Star Wars and so many other character figures. Every uke could be personalised. And hung on the wall.

RAB11
06-02-2014, 10:31 PM
How about this? They're trying to patent it (most likely the design and build process) but obviously can't patent it with Lego in the name. Brickelele sounds rubbish, so they've gone for another angle.

Say you're a vegan. You like playing ukulele but you don't like the fact that trees are chopped down to make you one. So you use a substitute, much like you'd use tofu for a substitute if you didn't want to eat animal products. Hence tofulele.

I rather enjoy tofu actually but I only tend to have it in Miso soup, which is an excellent hangover cure by the way.

Either way I think it's cool. Using one immensely creative tool to create another immensely creative tool, what's not to like?

CeeJay
06-02-2014, 11:58 PM
I'm seriously considering Big Kahuna's suggestion of buying a shitload of Lego and trying to build one.

If it doesn't work, I have a kid on the way, it can be put aside for when he/she is old enough.....

Or you can sell it on to me ...Big Kid Syndrome...I've been dragged, kicking and screaming, out of the Lego Shop in Gateshead Metrocentre by the Mrs CeeJay a couple of times now.....*sigh*

CeeJay
06-03-2014, 12:00 AM

" To-fuk-u-lele

With all the pointy bits, the first half of the name describes what it's designed to do to your hands. " The Big Kahuna (My emphasis on the spelling and possible pronounciation)

Ahh maybe you dickadcock and Big Kahuna (The) are on the same page .....hmmmmmm...I'll buy into this theory .

CeeJay
06-03-2014, 12:07 AM
Geez, lighten up, guys! Who would have guessed ukulele players had no sense of whimsy? If you really need to know the source of the name, just post your question on the man's video.

We don't NEED to know ...we probably don't really care ....it's just so much fun having a chuckle about it ...well some of us were having a chuckle....light as a lightweight feather here BigMama !!

iamesperambient
06-03-2014, 03:14 PM
How about this? They're trying to patent it (most likely the design and build process) but obviously can't patent it with Lego in the name. Brickelele sounds rubbish, so they've gone for another angle.

Say you're a vegan. You like playing ukulele but you don't like the fact that trees are chopped down to make you one. So you use a substitute, much like you'd use tofu for a substitute if you didn't want to eat animal products. Hence tofulele.

I rather enjoy tofu actually but I only tend to have it in Miso soup, which is an excellent hangover cure by the way.

Either way I think it's cool. Using one immensely creative tool to create another immensely creative tool, what's not to like?

I don't know if they can patent something using someone elses product to build it. But I'm not 100 percent sure.
Not trying to be a prick but i really think its a silly idea, and for the amount of money you could actually buy a really
nice wood uke, why would you pay almost 300 bucks for a lego uke, id rather buy legos and try to make my own
and i would choose brown or black legos the multi colored looks dreadful.

Neal
06-03-2014, 03:22 PM
I wonder, for all you naysayers, how many hours it took to put this together the first time. Now it's put together, a plan is drawn, and it's put into a "minor" production. A few hundred dollars +, considering the price of Legos (my grandson aspires to be a "master), is fair, in my most humble opinion. I think I'm buying one for the kid, to show him what can be done, and what others have so intricately thought of.

But that's only my take on it. You guys are much more in tune to the 'ukulele world and what is fair and balanced, so I'm most likely wrong.

iamesperambient
06-03-2014, 03:34 PM
I wonder, for all you naysayers, how many hours it took to put this together the first time. Now it's put together, a plan is drawn, and it's put into a "minor" production. A few hundred dollars +, considering the price of Legos (my grandson aspires to be a "master), is fair, in my most humble opinion. I think I'm buying one for the kid, to show him what can be done, and what others have so intricately thought of.

But that's only my take on it. You guys are much more in tune to the 'ukulele world and what is fair and balanced, so I'm most likely wrong.

ukuleles are instruments, they don't have to be novelty i see this as someone trying to revert the seriousness ukulele has tried to build back
into another novelty. For me I'm not having it, for others it may be fine, personally to me this is no more than an over priced novelty.

Neal
06-03-2014, 03:48 PM
ukuleles are instruments, they don't have to be novelty i see this as someone trying to revert the seriousness ukulele has tried to build back
into another novelty. For me I'm not having it, for others it may be fine, personally to me this is no more than an over priced novelty.

Ahh, the "ukulele is a serious instrument and you better not make it fun" crowd....

Look, get over it. The uke is the uke. It's a small, easy to transport instrument, given to fun times and not so serious pursuits. It's also a real instrument too, given to serious pursuits. And? Purists only end up with the ashes of their victims. Have fun and look at your instrument for what it is, a tool.

iamesperambient
06-03-2014, 05:54 PM
Ahh, the "ukulele is a serious instrument and you better not make it fun" crowd....

Look, get over it. The uke is the uke. It's a small, easy to transport instrument, given to fun times and not so serious pursuits. It's also a real instrument too, given to serious pursuits. And? Purists only end up with the ashes of their victims. Have fun and look at your instrument for what it is, a tool.

im far from a purist, i'm an ambient musician who went frmo electric guitar to electric baritone ukulele to make 'non music'
im far from a purist. I just take music, and tools used to make them serious. I see things like this as a waste especially for the price
if this thing was between 20-50 bucks I would think its 'fine'.

wayfarer75
06-04-2014, 03:58 AM
im far from a purist, i'm an ambient musician who went frmo electric guitar to electric baritone ukulele to make 'non music'
im far from a purist. I just take music, and tools used to make them serious. I see things like this as a waste especially for the price
if this thing was between 20-50 bucks I would think its 'fine'.

I'm with you. The price is what makes it seem ridiculous. For $275 I can buy a very nice soprano uke.

Osprey
06-04-2014, 04:10 AM
I think you need to think of this ukulele as art. It is not to my taste but who am I to say it is not valuable to someone else. The ukulele is a serious instrument. But, we can have fun with it as well. We should not take ourselves to seriously
Cliff

hoosierhiver
06-04-2014, 04:33 AM
Seems expensive to me. Too bad they don't just sell the plans, my kid loves Legos.
They should approach the Lego company and see if they can make it a kit.

RAB11
06-04-2014, 04:36 AM
To play devil's advocate again, the expense is probably down to them not being able to cut a deal with Lego to supply the pieces, plus the time taken to assemble them by hand.

Most definitely a novelty for someone with more money than sense but I still want to have a go at building my own.

Jon Moody
06-04-2014, 04:52 AM
They should approach the Lego company and see if they can make it a kit.

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME.

To play devil's advocate again, the expense is probably down to them not being able to cut a deal with Lego to supply the pieces, plus the time taken to assemble them by hand.

Most definitely a novelty for someone with more money than sense but I still want to have a go at building my own.

I think the expense is what we're not seeing; there has to be bracing of some kind internally as well as the neck to support the tension of the strings when tuned to pitch. I wonder if THAT is what they are getting a patent for, not the fact that the exterior is made of Legos.

I like the ingenuity. I even played it while at Elderly a while back. Wouldn't buy it, but if a Lego kit was ever offered, I'd probably consider that.

iamesperambient
06-04-2014, 09:29 AM
THAT WOULD BE AWESOME.

I think the expense is what we're not seeing; there has to be bracing of some kind internally as well as the neck to support the tension of the strings when tuned to pitch. I wonder if THAT is what they are getting a patent for, not the fact that the exterior is made of Legos.

I like the ingenuity. I even played it while at Elderly a while back. Wouldn't buy it, but if a Lego kit was ever offered, I'd probably consider that.

if they contacted lego for a design patent for a kid to make a uke out of legos for fun as a project for a kid at a reasonable price of 20-50 bucks
i think it would be pretty cool, what it is now however is an over priced novelty.

strumsilly
06-04-2014, 10:09 AM
I wonder if they would put frets on it for me, just kidding, but it is kind of cool, in a cheezy way.

CeeJay
06-04-2014, 01:28 PM
Hey ...it's fun ...it's fun to own ...if you want one ...and it's fun to tease about if you don't ...and whom can't love Lego whatever....tofu ...hmmmmmm ,not so much......but appreciate the sentiments that go with....

ah a Beer looms........

Hammond
06-04-2014, 03:25 PM
It seems fun. But also seems overpriced for a toy.

Tofu, in the east culture, is a food, also has a meaning of "very fragile/weak". So the first impression of the name get me the idea that it is a very fragile lele... I was like what the...

I am amazed the store stated that they provide "expert setup" on this one as well.

Cornfield
06-04-2014, 04:18 PM
Do they make a long neck tenor model?

bird's eye view of my ukelele
06-04-2014, 06:48 PM
lol!

seriously, i think everyone probably wants to build one of those things!

Tootler
06-04-2014, 08:36 PM
<snip>...

Here is another link from Baz Maz dated April 2010, but I can't get the video to work to see what the uke looks like.
http://www.gotaukulele.com/2010/04/lego-ukulele.html

Looks like the video's been taken down

iamesperambient
06-04-2014, 09:44 PM
It seems fun. But also seems overpriced for a toy.

Tofu, in the east culture, is a food, also has a meaning of "very fragile/weak". So the first impression of the name get me the idea that it is a very fragile lele... I was like what the...

I am amazed the store stated that they provide "expert setup" on this one as well.

ya that's odd not sure how u can even
set it up maybe they mean it passes
through elderlys shop quality control who knows