Baritone uke - capo 5th fret - scale length?

Gerald Ross

Reaction score
Need some help.

A student of mine at an upcoming festival has both a soprano and a baritone uke. I always suggest that my students use a concert or a tenor for my classes to make "up the neck" chording easier.

Question for you baritone owners... If you put a capo on the 5th fret what is the resulting scale length? If it's close to a tenor or concert uke this person may be able to get away "cheap" instead of buying a new instrument.

Thanks in advance.

It's pretty close to concert. Of course you don't have much more room "up the neck" at that point. You might also consider getting gCEA or GCEA strings for the bari. Southcoast LL-NW is only $10 for the latter

Last edited:
I think the student would be better off with the soprano.
A soprano can do many things with a bit of effort.

Putting a capo on a baritone will have a few disadvantages:

-The capo gets in the way of first-position chords
-Intonation is not as accurate
-You will defeat the purpose of making "up the neck" chords any easier because the student will have to guess what number frets are up the neck. Fret markers are not where they should be any more..

Need some help.

A student of mine at an upcoming festival has both a soprano and a baritone uke. I always suggest that my students use a concert or a tenor for my classes to make "up the neck" chording easier.

Question for you baritone owners... If you put a capo on the 5th fret what is the resulting scale length? If it's close to a tenor or concert uke this person may be able to get away "cheap" instead of buying a new instrument.

Thanks in advance.

with a capo on the 5th fret you basically get a low G tuned tenor.
Now that i'm messing with high D tuning bari soon i'll be able to get a high G tenor sound as well.

Top Bottom