Must have in tool box???

rem50

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I wondering what songs you feel are "must have" or at a minimum, "should have" songs in your tool box. I need to learn more songs and wanted to see what others like to play!

As Stairway To Heaven is to guitarists ("Dude, you're good! Can you play Stairway?!")...

Tiptoe Thru The Tulips is to ukuleleists ("Paisan, that's a cool toy. Can you play Tiptoe!?").

Last edited:
You need a blues song or two. Almost anything by Robert Johnson.
I like "From Four Until Late".

Others for consideration for your tool box:
Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah"
Iz's "White Sandy Beach of Hawaiʻi"
Clapton's "Tears in Heaven".

"Blister in the Sun" - easy song that always surprises people
"The Weight" - three-chord song with a great story and opportunity for harmony
"Stray Cat Strut" - great jazzy, swingy tune

All Ukulele Fight Club of Kansas City favorites

Something Hawaiian (I've memorized Puamana), something Beatles (I've memorized several, but I most like to play All My Loving), something associated with non-Hawaiian ukulele playing (like Tiptoe or Five Foot Two), something cool (When You Wish Upon A Star) and something Christmasy (Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas).

These are some great suggestions. Not at all what I expected! Thank you! Any more suggestions?

Have to have a mix from several genres. For me it includes "Sultans of Swing," "Runaway," "Toes," "Sportin' Jenny," "Don't get around much anymore," "Three Little Birds," "Rainbow Connection," "Wildest Dreams," and "Good to be me." My granddaughter is an Arctic Monkeys fan and is trying to get me to learn one of their songs (which will be "interesting").

You should make up a little songbook with a dozen or so of your favorites...that way its with you wherever you are...

never thought about putting songs in my tool box...they'd just get all dirty and torn up!

I have bit of a mental song sheet. Can do a bit over an hour and a half without repeating but you guys are great, I havent heard of a bunch of those! Thanks!

Around here, Margaritaville is a must-sing. Of course, I've changed the lyrics to "strumming my four string...."

Some Johnny Cash, some Patsy, some cool '70's grooves, some swinging '60's, some lovely 50's and I love the older stuff too. Southern Rock, Classic Rock, Beach music - So much out there!!! Willie Nelson, sheesh, I could go on all night. There is just too much that I love.

I've even done a version of Wrecking Ball for my ukulele club. They think I'm crazy, but Miley ruined that song with her video. It is some good writing and we are going to slow it down and do a kind of ballad.

Angel, by Sarah McLachlan is one of my go-to songs. Just falls under my fingers and it right in the sweet spot for my faulty voice. Another one (surprisingly) for me is Madonna's Live To Tell.

I think anyone singing for/to others needs to have a varied representation of genres, not everything out there, but some different feeling pieces. And...to find stuff that you absolutely love to play and sing. The joy will come through if you are really loving it.

Last edited:
This is a must have in my toolbox:

$(KGrHqJ,!ooFJy(L70GbBSeUhv3wUg~~60_12.JPG

Charlie Chaplin's Smile
Aldrine's arrangement of La Vie en Rose from earlier this year on UU
Gershwin's Summertime
Elvis Presley, Vera Matson's Love Me Tender
June Carter Ring of Fire
The Hokey Pokey

Charlie Chaplin's Smile
Aldrine's arrangement of La Vie en Rose from earlier this year on UU
Gershwin's Summertime
Elvis Presley, Vera Matson's Love Me Tender
June Carter Ring of Fire
The Hokey Pokey

You and I would get along just fine! ...love your choices!

I always find when i go out with my uke my friends will always throw a curve ball and ask for a tune that I never expected them to ask for. I'll always make a mental note to go away and learn it for next time.
As far as toolbox songs go :-

a couple of "show off" songs - Stairway to Heaven & Gypsy Ukulele
some classic rock - Sweet child of mine (Guns'n'Roses), Back in Black(ACDC)
silly tunes - Sex with Ducks (Garfunkel & Oats), Stu's Song (from the Hangover film), F**k her Gently (Tenacious D)
Grow old with you (wedding singer)...all of these are guaranteed to get a smile.
synonymous uke tunes - Over the Rainbow (Iz), I'm Yours (Jason Mraz), Hey, Soul Sister (Train)
childrens songs - anything Disney related, You've got a friend in me (Randy Newman) and more recently my niece and nephew keep bugging me to play anything from FROZEN. "Let it go" and "In Summer" seem to be the favorites.:D

Top Bottom