installing the aquila red low G string

chuck in ny

Reaction score
what is the protocol, leave less slack, and it will stretch?

When I installed my Reds I left no slack at the start. It worked out I still had at least three wraps, they sure do stretch.

well. i first tied it at the bridge and then gave the string a couple of very mild pulls, then left no slack and wound it up. very nice quality to the string and sound, proper tension, they have a winner.

well. i first tied it at the bridge and then gave the string a couple of very mild pulls, then left no slack and wound it up. very nice quality to the string and sound, proper tension, they have a winner.

I had them on a koa tenor and I really liked the sound of them as well. They settled down pretty quick for a stretchy string, having minimal wraps on the post helps a lot with this. I have found too much over wrapping can be a cause of strings going out of tune.

You want to watch this video on proper installation, it's very helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGH1d8IP_Us
Ukulele Eddie I agree with you on this video. Also make sure you ease the groove or slot in the nut to .039" and put a nice radius on the groove or slot towards the tuner leaving no sharp edge. The video shows the string being held out of the groove as much as possible. Regards.

Last edited:
Top Bottom