Tiger Rag on a 20s Gibson uke

GawdDAMN but that's good!

Spiffing!!

Channeling your inner Roy and more!
Inspiring!!

Another amazing performance. Lovely and skilled.

Your superb playing deserves a better camera. ;)

Thank you guys so much! This has been my "white whale" lately so to speak. Took me forever to learn it and even longer to play it! :) I admit the camera quality is probably my fault. I am using an HD camera. I just like the the old tyme look. lol

Makin' East Nasty proud!
= Indeed! Do I know you?

I have to say Johnny, between your Formby videos and your Smeck videos, you're really capturing that 1930's-40's vibe. Your technical proficiency is really up there, and I'm not sure if that big grin is part of the act or if you're just having a great time, but your videos are a lot of fun to watch. I'll have to get down to Nashville so I can catch one of your shows!

Watching your video caused me to search out some Roy Smeck videos on YouTube. While I'd seen many of his early film appearances, it was great to see him still playing much later in his life, still swinging and blowing into that uke. As much as I enjoy watching Roy, I always thought some of his goofiness was hard to listen to-- but always fun to watch. I recently read his biography, which was a hoot-- the gentleman knew how to tell a salty story or two!

I have to say Johnny, between your Formby videos and your Smeck videos, you're really capturing that 1930's-40's vibe. Your technical proficiency is really up there, and I'm not sure if that big grin is part of the act or if you're just having a great time, but your videos are a lot of fun to watch. I'll have to get down to Nashville so I can catch one of your shows!

Watching your video caused me to search out some Roy Smeck videos on YouTube. While I'd seen many of his early film appearances, it was great to see him still playing much later in his life, still swinging and blowing into that uke. As much as I enjoy watching Roy, I always thought some of his goofiness was hard to listen to-- but always fun to watch. I recently read his biography, which was a hoot-- the gentleman knew how to tell a salty story or two!

Thank you for your very kind comments. I will say that the grin is not part of the act. I know Smeck looked pretty smug a lot of the time and I am glad that my grin looks more goofy than smug but I think it's unavoidable. You mention technical proficiency and that's where the grin comes in. I am amazing myself at being able to play these Smeck songs and it just makes me smile. I can't help it. I feel like Smeck felt the same way. When I look at his grin it's not a "Look what I can do". It's a "DID YOU JUST SEE THAT?" lol

I will have to check out his biography. Speaking of, I have been trying to get a hold of his apprentice, Vincent Cortese about doing an interview or something for my Roy Smeck Tribute page on Facebook. We shall see....

Perhaps just better lighting (as in, more of it), jfs. Your playing is outstanding. Among the best!

Thanks again. The next video I do I will take the time to get a better shot. Funny, I put on a suit set up a mic, do a 100 takes, and yet the video quality suffers and I don't seem to mind. Well, the next one is gonna look good too! :)

Great stuff! If you're still on a string search for your little Gibson I suggest trying a set of Fremont Blacklines, high tension. They really make my little Uke 2 bark! Lot of volume. Keep on keeping' on........sounds great!

Top Bottom