Iz Fans

Kanaka916

Reaction score
Just ran across this disc; "Unforgettable" Israel Kamakawiwo'ole & Makaha Sons of Ni'ihau. It's tunes from the early career of Iz and the group he started out with, The Makaha Sons of Ni'ihau. The album came out in December and some of the tracks are remixes. The album can be found at Hawaiian Music Island or e808.

CD-Iz-UnforgettableD.jpg

1. Over the Rainbow 2008 (remixed tracks) / What A Wonderful World 2008 (remixed tracks)
  2. I'll Be There / Warren's Song
  3. Kawohikukapulani
  4. Sea of Love (remixed tracks)
  5. Nohili E
  6. Kumulipo / E Pua Ana Ka Makani
  7. Rusty Old Steampipes
  8. Waipahe`e Falls
  9. Kana`i Aupuni (remixed tracks)
  10. Paper Doll
  11. Kaho`olawe
  12. You Don't Know Me (remixed tracks)
  13. Lei Onaona
  14. Na Pua Lei 'Ilima
  15. Kainoa (remixed tracks)
  16. I'll Remember You

Last edited:
I'd like to hear this song. I used to work on Kaho'olawe. Best job I have ever had next to teaching. Little disappointed that Hawai'i '78 didn't make the cut.

Wow...I bet that was fascinating! Do you think there's a future for the island?

Wow...I bet that was fascinating! Do you think there's a future for the island?

Depends. PKO (Protect Kaho'olawe O'hana) do restoration projects.
There is no fresh water and the top of the island is exposed to crazy erosion. Beautiful island but very harsh. The water around it is full of sea life. We used to body surf down at base camp and catch some crazy shore breaks. IF you are big into Hawaiian culture you should try to do a makahiki (spelled?) ceremony on the island. Just go in authorized places, there are still bombs around.

I'd like to hear this song. I used to work on Kaho'olawe. Best job I have ever had next to teaching. Little disappointed that Hawai'i '78 didn't make the cut.
The mele was written by Emma Bishop, lyrics and translation can be found here. I can only speculate why Hawai'i 78 wasn't on the album. I feel the song had a lot more airplay and became more popular when Iz did recorded it as a solo artist. This song originally debuted on the Makaha Son's of Ni'ihau "Live at Hank's" disc early in the groups career.

Top Bottom