tuner weights comparison

pondweed

Reaction score
more gradgrindery - but quite interesting in search for a decent lightweight peg. I'd love some Waverlys but they are not worth the extra as they aren't super light… just a bit smaller than others (and also have hassly chamfering so not so good for retrofit).
So for everyday use, the Gotoh UKA look the best (fitted on Kiwayas etc) and Grover 2b as budget… unless anyone can suggest anything else that is sub-peghed cost?

8g - softwood violin peg set 1/4 size

11.6g - rosewood violin peg set 1/4 size

c.20g - Elton 1960s trapezoidal white plastic/metal friction tuners fitted to Harmony ukuleles ("under 1oz")

21g - Peghed geared tuners (1:4 ratio)

29.2g - largely plastic friction tuners fitted to 1990s Mahalo - not terribly effective

30g - Gotoh UKA Deluxe (Aluminium construction)

31g - Grover 2b

36.9g - Waverly friction tuners - koa buttons (note: 5.65-6.35mm hole size; new build 5mm hole rec.d)

37.8g - Chinese bought cheap friction tuners

38.1g - Waverly friction tuners - ebony buttons

40g - Gotoh UKB Black or White (as fitted to things like Ohana SK35)

43g - 1920s Mandolin-Banjo geared tuners 'on a backplate', cut down to to 2 each side

47.6g - Gotoh Stealth - lightest geared tuners with "ears"

48.2g - Lucy's Ukulele Vintage Style Coloured friction pegs

54.6g - good Grover set nickel (8mm hole size)

57.5g - KoAloha friction tuners (similar to the ones on my Timms)

64g - 'Leader' Deluxe gold finish uke/banjo tuning pegs (sold by Eagle Music, UK; Carnelian or Ivory buttons, steel)

64g - Gotoh UPT Planetary 1:4 ratio

What advantage do you see in using the lightest weight tuner you can find? Are you assuming that lighter = better in some way? One of the things I don't like about Pegheds is I wish they were just a little bit heavier (for tenors at least).

I like to add that I have Gotoh Stealth on one of my ukes and 2 of the 4 ukes are slipping, even after adjusting. Since they are relatively new tuners (came out in 2012 I think), it'll be interesting to see the longevity of these after a few years.

I personally love the Gotoh UPTs

I agree that the Gotoh UPTs hit all the right buttons for me. Waverly's if i want a quality open geared tuner and Pegheds if I don't want to see a lot of hardware (but they are a compromise.)

Funny...I have tried most all, and given a choice(yes, even against Gotoh UPTs), I would select Gotoh DeLuxe Frictions.

But on a sop, weight may be a factor. Yet the lightest, the Pegheds, fail me bc my hand keeps bumping them on sops.

What advantage do you see in using the lightest weight tuner you can find? Are you assuming that lighter = better in some way? One of the things I don't like about Pegheds is I wish they were just a little bit heavier (for tenors at least).

Well, I've only got sopranos or sopraninos, so I'm just interested in that in 100 years and with all the technology in the world, we've regressed from the likes of being able to get something modern and businesslike with the balance and weight and visual simplicity of a simple Kumalae. I find that I'm drawn to the instruments which give me real sensory feedback - things which properly purr - and yes, that does seem to be the lighter ones. Superlight just means flexibility, being able to play it easily without a strap while walking round the garden, that sort of thing….

Heh - but its just a bit of fun. I'm setting myself the target of building a sub 200g soprano.

Well, I've only got sopranos or sopraninos, so I'm just interested in that in 100 years and with all the technology in the world, we've regressed from the likes of being able to get something modern and businesslike with the balance and weight and visual simplicity of a simple Kumalae. I find that I'm drawn to the instruments which give me real sensory feedback - things which properly purr - and yes, that does seem to be the lighter ones. Superlight just means flexibility, being able to play it easily without a strap while walking round the garden, that sort of thing….

Heh - but its just a bit of fun. I'm setting myself the target of building a sub 200g soprano.

In my experience I have found that some ukes can benefit sonically by using a little heavier tuner. This may not be the case with sopranos, I don't have a ton of experience with those. Weight is one of the first things I look at when choosing tuners but it's only one of the criteria. Design, function, gear ratio, and cost are other factors.

I'm setting myself the target of building a sub 200g soprano.

Hmm, quite a challenge! My lightest build is somewhere between 210 and 220 g plus tuners, Spanish Cedar neck and some very light koa.

I think you'll need to do something like 100% Spanish cedar, no fretboard, and your main area for weight saving has to be the neck. Make the peghead and heel as tiny as possible and you might get there. A Spanish heel might save you 10 or 15 g on hardware as well.

Good luck!

Hmm, quite a challenge! My lightest build is somewhere between 210 and 220 g plus tuners, Spanish Cedar neck and some very light koa.

I think you'll need to do something like 100% Spanish cedar, no fretboard, and your main area for weight saving has to be the neck. Make the peghead and heel as tiny as possible and you might get there. A Spanish heel might save you 10 or 15 g on hardware as well.

Good luck!

And add a side sound port!

On a side note, I wish they had open geared tuners at 4 to 8 times ratio. I am not a pro so don't need 16 to 18 time.

Good luck!

Thanks all. I've just imported a wood chart and sorted it by density in order to see how the 'established' Spanish cedar etc sit in comparison with things like poplar which aren't used purely because they don't look nice enough. I never realised Spanish cedar WAS a hardwood...

Interesting Chris, as you have that 225g kumalae sitting there, with tuners! Presumably they must be coloured softwood? What do you reckon that neck is made from?

Perhaps it should be a theoretical competition. The lowest weight 13" scale playable instrument. Assuming savings can be made through alternative design in the neck department, should there be any stipulation about exactly how a resonating body is made? I.e. Does it need guideline for min. internal volume or something.

p.s. here is chart..http://dailyukulele.wordpress.com/compare-wood-densities/ can't upload as too big

Last edited:
Top Bottom